Has club football killed international football ?

Football as an entertainment has become a non event in the main, then you get the overhyping of certain players and you end up with even more dross. Southgate is safe hands he'd still play a snooze system if he had 11 Brazilians to choose from.
I'm not so sure.
I think he's done a good job with what he has. A lot of those players are overrated.
He picks these players and they struggle to perform against the Danes, thats not all on Southgate.
Oh well, I guess we all see things differently.

I'm not so sure.
I think he's done a good job with what he has. A lot of those players are overrated.
He picks these players and they struggle to perform against the Danes, thats not all on Southgate.

Bellingham and Kane have shit the bed and he continues to play them, he will play them in the next match too. Most of this lethargic excuse for football is on him, even teams with lesser players get more passion and excitement.

Cole and Watkins might as well not have travelled, why did he take Ivan Toney ? Kanes leg would have to fall off for him to be dropped.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure.

7 out of the 11 are top players.

Kane (tried to sign)
Foden
Saka
Bellingham
Rice
Stones
Walker

They're good enough for City, never mind England, and we even tried to sign 3 of the ones we don't already have ourselves.

Southgate actually has one of the best starting XI's in world football available to him.

Thinking Southgate has done a good job with the most productive forward line in Europe last season is insane. He also had the PL player of the season and the La Liga player of the season in his XI.

Some here saying Kane or Bellingham etc haven't performed....nobody has, and guess what, rival fans are saying Foden is shit and should be dropped. Is Foden shit? Of course not.

More international teams are getting boo's when not playing great.

This got me thinking do to many fans expect the national team to be as good as their club team ?

England will never be as good as say the top 4 in England. I would guess the same with other top international teams.

These top top players are playing way to many games per year now, it's going to affect them. The 'small' countries will naturally play these games so it sort of evens out the games.

Take Belgium KDB has Haaland up top at Belgium he has that lump Lukaku.

I watch England and sometimes I stay awake the whole 90 minutes but in my mind I'm watching a lower standard of football than the first two leagues in England. In my mind it's like going to watch margate fc but without the show ponies like bellend.

With to much football national team fans need to lower their expectations
That’s a very good point. Also I think we’re getting to see the first real signs of too much football. I don’t think the premier league was as good a standard last season than previously. This world club cup is a great idea in theory, but it’s madness to think we can give players no break at all and expect the standard to keep up. Added to that, clubs in England aren’t able to strengthen/increase their squads because of financial rules. Madness

No, it’s lack of talent coming through that does us. Sad thing is, it’s the same type of fit but technically challenged players we produce. None of them good enough to keep apace of everybody else getting better. If anything, we are going backward.

Nope.

For a start international football, especially the big tournaments, capture the interest of a much wider section of society than those that follow the day to day grind of club football.

Secondly, the quality of football is definitely lower than the top club competitions, but it's not actually really about the quality of football. Tournaments are about stories, drama, goals, moments, atmosphere etc.

These Euros are a much bigger event than any club competition. Just because England are boring to watch instead of City doesn't change that.
As an American, I totally agree with this. Big tournaments are one of the few times you might get a wider swath of people willing to talk about football. I started watching football because of the World Cup. I still love the excitement of filling in those stupid sticker books with my kids - and I’m in my 40s. I love when some young kid has a tournament of their life - Gvardiol, the young Argentinians, etc, last year at the WC. I love when a small country - like Georgia yesterday - wins a game that means nothing in the long run but feels like it means everything in the moment. I like how in six months I’ll turn on a random Bundesliga game and see someone I watched this week. I love when young players have their debut.

If I lived in Europe and had football all around me, I agree I would likely have a different view. I can see how I’d be jaded and how club loyalties would interfere with my support of certain teams.

I do also agree, for the health of the players, there are too many games.

Last edited:
Nobody really cares about international football, people watch it because they love football and will watch almost any football and because obviously it is played when no league games are on then the viewing figures are always artficially high, i would like to see an international game played at the same time as a pl game and the viewing figures compared and then you would see that club football will always be valued higher than international.
I think it depends on how successful your team is. When City were shit I watched all England's games so I could cheer when we win and enjoy the moment. Granted those wins were few and far apart with Egland as well.
Since City have been successful I find watching England's international games boring. I consider the international break a pain in the arse. If I am honest I just want to watch City.

I think it depends on how successful your team is. When City were shit I watched all England's games so I could cheer when we win and enjoy the moment. Granted those wins were few and far apart with Egland as well.
Since City have been successful I find watching England's international games boring. I consider the international break a pain in the arse. If I am honest I just want to watch City.
Was gonna say if you were cheering when england were successful then your name is a lie and you're way older than 55 lol

Honestly I feel a bit sorry for Southgate. Brits are saying he's got all these massively talented players and he's useless, he hasn't really, a lot of them are bang average. Maybe 3 or 4 world class.
3 or 4 world-class players is more than enough to win tournaments. Most winners don't have that many. They always have managers who get the very best out of their squads though. England don't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.