Has the BBC become a Tory tool?

Very helpful. Do you think all those people who come over on the boats qualify to seek asylum? I am not looking for an argument, just trying to understand how we should best deal with this particular issue which seems to be so divisive. One comment I heard recently was that instead of these people paying smugglers £5k (not sure if that figure is correct) why don't they just get on a flight which is far cheaper and start from there. Now it maybe that these people don't have a passport and can't obtain one, I have no idea. The real issue potentially is trying to crack the criminals who appear to making fortunes from some very vulnerable people.
I think you have summed up a very difficult problem exactly. Virtually everyone wants to help genuine cases but the problem is how to identify the genuine cases and how do you deal with the non genuine cases. Apart from the two lunatic extremes of 'let no one in' and 'let everyone in' then no one has come up with an answer. The trouble is that any attempt at a reasoned debate ends up toxic as the far right and far left seem to be very well represented on all political forums.

The comparison I was making in my previous post was highlighting the low/high public profile of the poster, not the subject matter.

If I posted that the government were shit*, who would care? if Pep posted that on twitter then there would be a pile on from all areas of society.

This is why I think lineker should have exercised caution as he is undoubtedly high profile.

I am not sure how different our views are, but it seems to matter more to you so I will leave it there as I dont intend to offend anyone.

*not necessarily my real opinion, just an example to highlight my point, so no politically motivated replies please.
Subject does matter though. There’s a lot of difference talking about football as a manager or talking about politics. Pep has done both. Was there a massive pile on? Not really. If there was, would he have cared? No. Would he have been sacked? Also no.

There have been games recently where the ball was in play for less than 45 minutes. It's probably tricky to find 12 minutes of highlights from that.
I’m not suggesting they do have 12 from each game, but it’s being mentioned as the max allowed from each game

How did it start, cheekybids? With dehumanising language and policies, such as we are seeing today. We have to be wary at all times not to follow down the same path.

In Nazi Germany it did. In the UK it started with a carpet bombing campaign totally destabilising countries & displacing thousands & creating migrants.

I don’t see the UK starting a propaganda campaign which moves along with people being starved, poisoned & placed in ovens.
However all sides labour & Tory have been responsible for migrants arriving with our foreign policy.

I’ve just seen Linekers latest tweet, it was very well put.

I think you have summed up a very difficult problem exactly. Virtually everyone wants to help genuine cases but the problem is how to identify the genuine cases and how do you deal with the non genuine cases. Apart from the two lunatic extremes of 'let no one in' and 'let everyone in' then no one has come up with an answer. The trouble is that any attempt at a reasoned debate ends up toxic as the far right and far left seem to be very well represented on all political forums.

We make these judgements every week and have done for years. It isn’t that difficult. Most of the vetting on people has been done by other countries before they even reach the UK.

I have no idea why people insist there is no answer to the issue. You think people have just been claiming asylum in the last few years or something?

He didn’t need to bring 1930s Germany into it. The Nazis did the most evil things known & if he can’t get his point over better then thats why he’s been pulled. In my opinion he’s right to call out dehumanisation of migrants but ffs Nazis really.

I don’t really understand the issue with this. His point was all about the use of language by people in charge to demonise or alienate specific groups.

The most famous example of someone doing that was in 1930s Germany - it’s still a key part of the school curriculum. Yes he could have said “not dissimilar to that used during the reformation” but then most people would think what was that?!

It’s not comparing actions, it’s saying that there are similarities in the enablers.

Very helpful. Do you think all those people who come over on the boats qualify to seek asylum? I am not looking for an argument, just trying to understand how we should best deal with this particular issue which seems to be so divisive. One comment I heard recently was that instead of these people paying smugglers £5k (not sure if that figure is correct) why don't they just get on a flight which is far cheaper and start from there. Now it maybe that these people don't have a passport and can't obtain one, I have no idea. The real issue potentially is trying to crack the criminals who appear to making fortunes from some very vulnerable people.
You're right that many people could hypothetically afford to fly, and apply for asylum at passport control in the UK. The problem is that they won't be allowed on a flight if they don't have a visa to enter. The absence of safe and legal routes is what compels people to make those dangerous journeys over land and sea.

We make these judgements every week and have done for years. It isn’t that difficult. Most of the vetting on people has been done by other countries before they even reach the UK.

I have no idea why people insist there is no answer to the issue. You think people have just been claiming asylum in the last few years or something?
It isn't that difficult? Seriously? It is extremely difficult and trying to trivialise the extent of that difficulty is not very helpful at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.