Have many of our “fans” become entitled?

Im not sure if its entitled but often I am surprised by what people write on here, such as telling Pep to F off etc, however what can be misconstrued, by the likes of me, as offensive or OTT is just often the way people articulate themselves particularly in moments of stress or high emotion.

It is probably true expectations have been ramped up, after recent success, and I do wonder how some will cope when the inevitable happens and things change. Might take a sabbatical from the forum at that time.
The response to the Leeds and Chelsea home defeats were especially weird to me, really, really OTT.

Mr. Sebastian you are not wrong..I see so many players being knocked on this forum and I just can not understand it. We have all read about Mahrez, Stones, Zin, Gundog, all being useless.Now they are all superb. How the tables have turned. Now, Raheem is the next target. Supporters should support their club, their players, and stop bloody whingeing when someone has a downturn in form especially when we have had the benefit of years of trophies and success.
I guess people of a younger generation have only seen the success, so know no better. The hard times for us old boys makes us understand this so much more. If one of my boys was on here giving grief I would give him a serious telling off.In fact ,they wouldnt do it, because I have ingrained in them the history of the club.
Just wait until Pep has gone and we may have a downturn in fortune. Just imagine what this forum will then be like. I am ready for it and embrace it because football is cyclical just as life. My cup will always be half full,especially after the last 12 years.

A City fan who I know usually texts me if City are not winning after 20 minutes. It's usually along the lines "City are shit, what are they playing at". I have asked him if he cannot remember the days of Barry Conlon et al. He seems to have the attitude that because of the players we have that every game should be won at half time. He also has an unnatural dislike for Rodri, Cancelo, Walker, Mahrez & Sterling. Actually said to me yesterday that we would never win anything with Mahrez playing. Mind you, he was also a big supporter of Trump & thinks Boris has handled the pandemic perfectly.

A City fan who I know usually texts me if City are not winning after 20 minutes. It's usually along the lines "City are shit, what are they playing at". I have asked him if he cannot remember the days of Barry Conlon et al. He seems to have the attitude that because of the players we have that every game should be won at half time. He also has an unnatural dislike for Rodri, Cancelo, Walker, Mahrez & Sterling. Actually said to me yesterday that we would never win anything with Mahrez playing. Mind you, he was also a big supporter of Trump & thinks Boris has handled the pandemic perfectly.
I'm afraid that ones simple.

I hate to tell you that your mate is a knob.

I can think back to 2009 and being surrounded by fans whingeing if we weren't a goal or two ahead at half time. Actually moved seasonticket to get away from it in the end.

I take defeats worse than I used to because the higher you climb the further you have to fall. Losing was an expectation back in the day and it would frustrate but not surprise me. Games like Lyon really take some getting over now. But we have to accept we will still lose games and there will be downturns in form and performances.

I usually wait before posting on here when I can reflect on the bigger picture. We have another two trophies this season and a CL final for the first time. We really cannot complain. And if we win the CL then the past 4 seasons have been ridiculous in terms of success and silverware.

Nah, theirs was "Not arrogance just better"... Seems like you're twisting words to fit your narrative there, to basically say "Backing your team is raggy", unless I'm misreading the opening line of that post. Much the same as what? That 'City just have to show up' or that 'confidence is not arrogance'?

I'll answer anyway, you can be confident in your own team and respectful at the same time, the two aren't mutually exclusive. It's about balance at the end of the day, there are those that go too far either way is the problem.

Having a balanced outlook between confidence and respect of the opposition is much better than putting other teams chances above your own, knocking your own team and making them the underdogs before every big game. It's as I've said before, before some games, some seem determined to create a big cloud of negativity and then try and drag everyone else under it and then get pissy with anyone who disagrees with them. What they are saying in a way is: "Shit your pants with me or I'll call you an entitled rag". Those sorts are worse than the arrogant fans for me, I'd hate for the team to see how little faith they have in them, I find that just as distasteful. Not appreciating what we have or what the team have done to the point of ungratefulness and lack of faith. Balance...
OK, when has Pep or any player ever come out & said we're confident we're gonna smash an opposition team?

The FFS in relation to Mahrez sums up the entitled wankers of our some so called fans

I don’t know about that.

I actually got ‘FFS Riyad / Ilkay’ tattooed on my forearm and I just circle one (or both) with non-toxic laser blue felt tip on match day depending on my mood.

Covered up the ill-advised ‘Alfonso Alves Till I Die’ tat nicely.

OK, when has Pep or any player ever come out & said we're confident we're gonna smash an opposition team?
Not the point I was making and therefore a strawman but I'll answer and ask my own question.

Never.

When has Pep or any player ever come out and said: "These guys are better than us(or their defence or their attack), I've got a bad feeling about this one lads! :( *parrp* " ?

The only times I've ever said anything remotely like what you asked is to balance out the doom mongers, who do my head in and everyone else's with their negativity. Even if someone did go into a game confident that we will win comfortably, it says more about the people who get triggered by that to me. Like I said, people are constantly trying to control things out of everyone's hands, with daft superstitions or a belief that Pep and the players come on here before games. Both sides do it IMO, I try and stay fairly balanced, I like to think but I would rather people not make out backing the team is wrong or entitled. See the definition of the word: "support" for why.

Did you even read that post you responded to where I suggested striking a balance is the most sensible option? I stand by it:

Having faith or confidence is not necessarily arrogance. Depending on the game and what opinion is offered. In times gone by it would have been deluded to make us favourites vs Real Madrid or Barcelona but our team/form and the opposition's etc can all change over time, it's not sensible to ignore all of that.

And:

Showing a complete lack of faith in your own team, is a fair few steps too far past showing respect to the opposition. Making our team the underdogs in every big game when the facts show otherwise, is not the sensible view either.

Sorry but for me it looks as though you tried to slip something into this discussion that doesn't belong, based on disagreement(s) before a game gone by, on our chances of winning. Those people making us underdogs saying our defence will get torn apart by Dortmund or PSG were proven wrong in the end. It was only that, that I didn't agree with really.

Last edited:
Not the point I was making and therefore a strawman but I'll answer and ask my own question.

Never.

When has Pep or any player ever come out and said: "These guys are better than us(or their defence or their attack), I've got a bad feeling about this one lads! :( *parrp* " ?

The only times I've ever said anything remotely like what you asked is to balance out the doom mongers, who do my head in and everyone else's with their negativity. Even if someone did go into a game confident that we will win comfortably, it says more about the people who get triggered by that to me. Like I said, people are constantly trying to control things out of everyone's hands, with daft superstitions or a belief that Pep and the players come on here before games. Both sides do it IMO, I try and stay fairly balanced, I like to think but I would rather people not make out backing the team is wrong or entitled. See the definition of the word: "support" for why.

Did you even read that post you responded to where I suggested striking a balance is the most sensible option? I stand by it:

Having faith or confidence is not necessarily arrogance. Depending on the game and what opinion is offered. In times gone by it would have been deluded to make us favourites vs Real Madrid or Barcelona but our team/form and the opposition's etc can all change over time, it's not sensible to ignore all of that.

And:

Showing a complete lack of faith in your own team, is a fair few steps too far past showing respect to the opposition. Making our team the underdogs in every big game when the facts show otherwise, is not the sensible view either.

Sorry but for me it looks as though you tried to slip something into this discussion that doesn't belong, based on disagreement(s) before a game gone by, on our chances of winning. Those people making us underdogs saying our defence will get torn apart by Dortmund or PSG were proven wrong in the end. It was only that, that I didn't agree with really.
The OP created this thread in respect to entitled City fans. I'm trying to stay on point, but we seem to be swerving all over the place.

So if the manager, his staff or the players don't go larging it up all Billy Big Bollocks, isn't that the example we should follow?

OK, let's put it another way has Pep, his staff or the players ever said we're shit scared of "Example Team" & we believe we're gonna get stiffed regardless of what we do?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.