Have many of our “fans” become entitled?

Like many on here, the season died for me when our over thinking Gibbon decided to play the ladies C team at Wembley against Chelsea and ruin our chances of the quadruple. Then he had the audacity to sing in our faces whilst smoking a big fat cigar about not looking back in anger!

The reaction has been way ott by some though - lets' write the season off and we go again in September -
Quad slayers! (it's got our name on it).

My overriding memory of being a city fan growing up in the 90s is getting beat, getting to the car, my old man sticking GMR on, and listening to mardy, angry blokes rant about City. I think many fans don't know how to express their passion for the club outside of that, but honestly I think that's true of a lot of football fans.

I never really understand where this point of view comes from. Total confidence / arrogance / entitlement call it what you will is a natural state of mind to a 20 yr old blue who can barely remember a time when we weren’t successful. Middle aged blues have the memories of the bad old days to keep us miserable / negative / sensible call it what you will.

I’m sure he means well but I think the OP’s post is divisive. An over confident blue isn’t necessarily an entitled JCL **** and nor is a cautious blue a miserable bitter old twat. In the end we all want the same thing even though we’re all different.
I don't care about the moaning about the moaning, but I do hate "we are behaving like rags" whenever people have expectations we should win stuff with our squad/manager.

Im not sure if its entitled but often I am surprised by what people write on here, such as telling Pep to F off etc, however what can be misconstrued, by the likes of me, as offensive or OTT is just often the way people articulate themselves particularly in moments of stress or high emotion.

It is probably true expectations have been ramped up, after recent success, and I do wonder how some will cope when the inevitable happens and things change. Might take a sabbatical from the forum at that time.

Yeah, 322 and 324 are full o' grumpy canutes. It's a good job on the club's part to make sure they're separated by the common sense of 323!

I wonder who sits in 323?

I don’t have your head for heights mate, I was at the front in the 200s for a Coldplay gig a few years back and that was a bit too high for me ;)

I never really understand where this point of view comes from. Total confidence / arrogance / entitlement call it what you will is a natural state of mind to a 20 yr old blue who can barely remember a time when we weren’t successful. Middle aged blues have the memories of the bad old days to keep us miserable / negative / sensible call it what you will.

I’m sure he means well but I think the OP’s post is divisive. An over confident blue isn’t necessarily an entitled JCL **** and nor is a cautious blue a miserable bitter old twat. In the end we all want the same thing even though we’re all different.

The “old days” weren’t bad at all. They were just different.

I wonder who sits in 323?

I don’t have your head for heights mate, I was at the front in the 200s for a Coldplay gig a few years back and that was a bit too high for me ;)
It's not bad! The worst seats for vertigo were some I had at Goodison, tucked into the right hand corner of the main stand. The steps upto them were like climbing a ladder.

I've heard some of us speaking in much the sane way I've had to endure the Rags talking about themselves over the last 3 decades. As City fans we hated it. We knew they were better than most, & they knew it too, but was their any need for them to rub it in every opponents face?

They became so confident their supremacy over us would never end, they even made a count up banner! I think it's this level of arrogance which the OP & many City fans are sensing. The world of football hates us because of our perceived "Oil Money", I'd hate to think we were ever living up to the arrogance many in football believe we've acquired since essentially winning the football lottery with our fantastic owner.
Nah, theirs was "Not arrogance just better"... Seems like you're twisting words to fit your narrative there, to basically say "Backing your team is raggy", unless I'm misreading the opening line of that post. Much the same as what? That 'City just have to show up' or that 'confidence is not arrogance'?

I'll answer anyway, you can be confident in your own team and respectful at the same time, the two aren't mutually exclusive. It's about balance at the end of the day, there are those that go too far either way is the problem.

Having a balanced outlook between confidence and respect of the opposition is much better than putting other teams chances above your own, knocking your own team and making them the underdogs before every big game. It's as I've said before, before some games, some seem determined to create a big cloud of negativity and then try and drag everyone else under it and then get pissy with anyone who disagrees with them. What they are saying in a way is: "Shit your pants with me or I'll call you an entitled rag". Those sorts are worse than the arrogant fans for me, I'd hate for the team to see how little faith they have in them, I find that just as distasteful. Not appreciating what we have or what the team have done to the point of ungratefulness and lack of faith. Balance...

Last edited:
What a shit thread. I don't see why I would be regarded as "entitled" just because I think our rightful place is top of the Premier League and winning the Champions League

It is a **** thread, isn’t? Who does the OP think he is?

Reckon the mods should give them a temp ban for this drivel.

OP is correct of course and it is a shame.

There isn’t one overriding reason but certainly social media plays a big part.

I think people have always been this way it’s just now they have a bigger voice than before. The bottom line is people think they know best whatever the evidence to the contrary.

To a certain extent that’s what a forum is about, a lively debate and exchange of opinions designed to challenge our preconception. However the extreme and personal opinions are definitely worse and shocking and often it’s not the younger generation on BM either.

In particular the comments I read about Pep on BM after a defeat are astonishingly bad. There is a thread on here called does Pep get enough credit. I would say that he does in general but not on BM. If we read the comments elsewhere we would be up in arms but on here it seems OK for some reason.

If Blues can have a go at Pep they will never be happy unless the joy of watching City is waiting for a defeat to moan.

Society as whole appears to have become more entitled, many reasons media, reality TV, social media, extreme wealth, living standards up and footballers today are multi millionaires at highest level.....CITY fans just reflect the society we live in.

But I still feel the vast majority of people and CITY fans do care about others, they dont hate and have a positive outlook generally and are grateful for the pleasure and joy football brings us on pitch and off pitch with our friends.

Interesting posts with good points throughout. I do think social media (and trends in society more generally) do play a part, and are not likely to be reversed. Whether they shape most of our fanbase remains to be seen but our success has and will undoubtedly lead to behaviour that baffles we members of the old guard. That may be a big source of my frustration, in which case I am just another old man shaking his fist angrily at Father Time.

A minority maybe,just like the self important clowns who believe their opinion is worth more than anyone else's and become abusive when such is disputed.

Different characters and personality is what makes a forum like this so much fun.

And those self-righteous blues moaning about other blues moaning can do one, as well!

————————————————————————————

On a separate note, @BillyShears & @Prestwich_Blue, I do sincerely hope you are able to reconcile privately via PM discussion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.