Have many of our “fans” become entitled?

Its too easy for people to moan ,forums, twitter etc, we used to moan, say we would never go again, but we always did

This

Moaning is so much easier nowadays. We sit on our phones and ping complaint after complaint. So much easier than writing a letter, buying a stamp , walking to the post box. By the time someone has done that they have calmed down or cant be bothered !

I come back from a long, difficult absence toward the end of another amazing season in which the club has again achieved things beyond my wildest dreams as a young lad and what do I find?

Far too many posts on here and elsewhere calling players “shitebags”, complaining about players’ commitment, criticising Pep’s management, and just generally moaning about the club.

After one loss in a dead rubber with one of the single worst (read: bent) refereeing performances I have seen in three decades of supporting City, a few weeks before our first ever Champions League final!

And on Twitter I see many abusing our players (some racially, especially when it comes to Sterling) after less-than-stellar performances or runs of form.

How have so many of our “fans” become so ****ing entitled, bordering on ragish. Or abhorrent, full stop. I know it’s not everyone — there are plenty admonishing and rebuking these impish idiots (at best). But there are still too many of these “fans” for my comfort. They are not what our club is about. They aren’t representative of our values. Perhaps United’s or Liverpool’s, bit not City’s.

Am I seeing more than are actually there? Am I falling in to just another trap of football tribalism, except creating more “us v them” amongst our own?

That could be the case and I am happy to be convinced I am.

But as of late, it seems like there has been a surge of the worst sort of “fan” in our ranks and I worry that the various aspects of the pandemic (isolation, shift to online engagement, return to the hooligan culture for many disaffected in order to find community/purpose/lost power, etc.) has them quickly taking over. At least the most visible, vocal realm of our support, anyway.

What do you think? Am I exaggerating the issue? Is it really that bad? Or is it just a prominent minority of “fans” that will eventually be drowned out as things get back to whatever “normal” is once the virus is under relative control?

I won’t be able to respond to all posts, or quickly to any, but I do appreciate everyone’s thoughts as I have been ruminating on this for some time, especially in light of the recent ESL debacle.

I think the general reaction of supporters — especially those in Manchester — really showed who we are and what we want the club to represent, but I also saw plenty of questionable stances among those claiming to be City fans. And I wonder what would have been the response of the club if the seemingly “entitled” contingent, who mostly appeared to love the idea of the ESL, had more time to rise in the ranks. And whether that means a similar situation in the future, if things progress as they are in my view, may result in a very different outcome.

Perhaps this is all down to my loss of sympathy for those that don’t know how good they have it. Maybe I’ve become even more of a miserable **** than I was before.

Regardless, although I can only mostly read threads these days, @Ric, it’s probably best to remove my mod privileges as seeing these daft, entitled, ragish posts throughout, it’s only a matter of time before I muster the energy to wildly swing the hammer. And, at any rate, I can’t really properly moderate any more, and have shed most of my diplomatic skills, so best I go back to being limited to addlebrained contributions like this.

Up the Blues!

To go off on a slight tangent, I don't know if 'entitled' is the word to cover it or whether 'conditioned' might be a better fit, but since the Pep era began I do think many of our fans (myself 100% included) have become so accustomed to watching beautiful, precise football, that we have developed wholly unrealistic expectations of what is 'normal'.....for example I'm up out of my chair at home shouting "FFS Raheem, put the bloody ball in front of him, not under his feet!" at the telly if the City winger passes it so much as 2 inches behind its optimum position.

By way of a semi-healthy dose of reality, I go and watch Exeter City half a dozen times a season (not this season obviously) and although I still enjoy it, I marvel at the (perceived) incompetence of all concerned, and aesthetically they (Exeter) are one of the better lower league teams. If nothing else, it serves as a small reminder that what we are watching at City under Pep is not real. It's arguably the best football any club, bar peak 2008-2015 Barca, has ever played and we should cherish it cos it won't last forever. It won't stop me complaining when Rodri next gets nailed in possession by a lively press of course, but I would like to hope that my complaining isn't born of the kind of absurd entitlement that prompts fully grown men wearing Liverpool shirts, to throw water bottles around bedrooms in County Mayo, and broadcast those tantrums on Twitter, but rather because I have momentarily lost sight of just how lucky we are

Last edited:
It’s not entitlement, it’s expectation.

Not an expectation to win, but an expectation to give your all.

It’s why I was damning of Rodri last night and also in the Dortmund game, when he lost the ball and didn’t try fix an error he caused and chose to moan and give up.

We’re City. We had 30 years of players who sometimes weren’t very good but gave every ounce of their being to TRY. That’s all I’ve ever asked.

It’s why we revere Zabaleta, Richard Dunne, Andy Morrison and Goater, whilst far, far better players are just passing memories.

Find me a single blue that would have Robinho over Richard Dunne.

So it’s not entitlement, we’ve been spoilt beyond our wildest dreams.

But it is expectation.

Expectation that if you wear the shirt zabaleta or Dunne bled on, you try. If a player doesn’t and chooses to moan like Rodri does when he gives the ball away, or play the agent game like Garcia has, they are the entitled ones.

Exactly this.

I don't feel more "entitled" but I do expect more.
I'm getting used to our highly trained squad achieving unbelievable feats , I expect this to continue for some time.
Our professionalism has been staggering and light years ahead of our competitors both on and off the field.
When the focus is on the 90 mins on the pitch I am now conditioned to see WWWW ......
this last month has been quite a new experience and has taken time to get used to. It's clear we have had a plan and all that matters is the coming final. Games like last night are irrelevant and if it suits Pep to play the u12s then so be it.
I'm not a happy clapper ,Walker can be brain dead at times , Raz well what can I say and that twat at right back soon to be at Barca can fuck off now!.
It's difficult to get used to the dizzy heights of serial winners when you were brought up on the scoreboard end watching Cliff Sear et al.
Entitled ? No.

l remember Cliff and and his long legged sliding tackles being a complete contrast to his predecessor Roy Little so we've both had our fill of the good, bad and ugly with City, especially when the bad and ugly times were right in the middle of the good times. It's part of City and part of me and l daresay most long term fans not to be overly optimistic.
So l was pissed off to get some unpleasant comments when l ruminated how bad it would be if we had had a 'typical City' moment.and fallen away and the rags had won the title.
It wasn't a serious worry and thankfully it was unfounded. Some of the attitudes from the modern Blues were also unfounded.

My brother ( a rag) said to me last week that I wsa likme Rees-Mogg laughing at those with less money

I know its through jealousy seeing how far that shitstain have fallen,- but Jeez,- Rees mogg, that really is below the belt

I would love to be compared to the Mogg.

To go off on a slight tangent, I don't know if 'entitled' is the word to cover it or whether 'conditioned' might be a better fit, but since the Pep era began I do think many of our fans (myself 100% included) have become so accustomed to watching beautiful, precise football, that we have developed wholly unrealistic expectations of what is 'normal'.....for example I'm up out of my chair at home shouting "FFS Raheem, put the bloody ball in front of him, not under his feet!" if the City winger passes it so much as 2 inches behind its optimum position.

By way of a semi-healthy dose of reality, I go and watch Exeter City half a dozen times a season (not this season obviously) and although I still enjoy it, I marvel at the (perceived) incompetence of all concerned, and aesthetically they (Exeter) are one of the better lower league teams. If nothing else, it serves as a small reminder that what we are watching at City under Pep is not real. It's arguably the best football any club, bar peak 2008-2015 Barca, has ever played and we should cherish it cos it won't last forever. It won't stop me complaining when Rodri next gets nailed in possession by a lively press of course, but I would like to hope that complaining isn't the result of an entitled attitude......
Am l correct in thinking (for a long time) you now live in South London not Exeter?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.