Have you ever applauded an opponent's goal V us?

It sounds as though a few of us on here were there that day, 1978 I think. It was a stunning goal, CR dragged the ball down around the centre circle and raced for the goal with defenders pinging off him, stunning shot just inside the area IIRC and nearly ripped the net. I applauded that one as did many many others.

Soulboy said:
I remember Cyrille Regis getting a standing ovation of City fans after he scored a wondergoal for WBA at Maine Road.

Ah, the days when we were sportsmanlike!

I remember the arsenal one, they were awesome, also zola at maine road and nearly all the away end clapped dunnies at villa park this season

oakiecokie said:
TINY said:
Arsenal, at Maine Road, think they were 6-0 up after 18 minutes. Applauded a Pires goal, and stood up and applauded when he was substituted. Some of the best football I've seen at that game.

I don,t think I,ve ever heard a home crowd give an away team so much applause and appreciation for that display.
Awesome and thousands did actually clap them off at half time.

Remember it well they gave us a masterclass of how to play football that day...luckerly i can`t see them doing the same to us again for a long long time

rjohnston26 said:
Pretty sure i, along with most of the fans around me, applauded zoltan gera's equaliser at the blue camp in the carling cup this season. unbelievable tekkers.

This one^^^

Just want to agree with some of the other stuff on this thread.

It makes me wonder about people, football and even society when you see people who cannot appreciate great skill by the opposition.

I like the comparison that someone made with Lee scoring against City and the reaction you get from many in the modern climate. Just look at the abuse that Dickov received for daring to score and celebrate against City. It was sickening.

I will clap whoever I want at a City game and when I am on my deathbed those Arsenal games at Maine Road will be a lot more prominant in my memory than some $hite goal scored by Gerry Creaney against Bury. As will be the same for many people.

Nope, and never will, though as previously mentioned, a large number of blues were lovin' it when 'Dunneh' scored against us this season, i was busy arguing how he'd got away with clambering all over Barry.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Just want to agree with some of the other stuff on this thread. It makes me wonder about people, football and even society when you see people who cannot appreciate great skill by the opposition. I like the comparison that someone made with Lee scoring against City and the reaction you get from many in the modern climate. Just look at the abuse that Dickov received for daring to score and celebrate against City. It was sickening. I will clap whoever I want at a City game and when I am on my deathbed those Arsenal games at Maine Road will be a lot more prominant in my memory than some $hite goal scored by Gerry Creaney against Bury. As will be the same for many people.
Well said, maddocks

I can't recall a particular goal but I, along with what seemed the whole of Maine Road applauded Gianfranco Zola off when he was subbed. I think he was touched at the reception he got that day. Needless to say he ran the show and we got hammered! But I was proud to be a blue that day after that great show of sportsmanship. You wouldn't get that at OT.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.