Have you ever moved/lived abroad? What was your experiences, best advice?

My mate and me used to hang around with 2 Dutch girls who were studying at Salford uni. Anyway he got serious with one of them and went to live in Haarlem in Holland. A few of us used to go over to see him good times. I was getting bored with life in Manchester and fancied a change of scenery, i said I'm coming over to see you for a bit after 2 weeks I met a Dutch girl. Things took off and I ended up living and working there for 5 years. I went night school to learn the language aswell. It was the best time of my life I was 23. Still go over now to see friends.

New Zealand for a couple of years in the 90s, probably didn’t appreciate it enough while I was there although it was a great experience. If I had my way would be there now
Lived here in NZ for 20 years now.. would never consider returning to my birth country. I still have family there and keep in touch via social media... but life is good here... (virtually covid free) no social transmission for weeks/months.. if you have a trade .. I would defo recommend it... I'm a sparkie and I turn work away on a daily basis. If the phone stopped ringing I would have work for 9 months ... tough for the first few months but Kiwis are friendly hugging people... they will help you at at any time ( reminds me of the neighbours at 1 am on a Sunday morning all turning up with tractors to drag the step daughter's car out of a 10 meter ditch) was a social gathering i guess as my nearest neighbour is 4km away from my house.

Lived in Germany for a few years. Great experience, tough at times especially for family back in UK. would definitely do it again and think it gave my kids a better view of the world. As for advice before you go learn more about the country than just the language. Wish I'd known before we that its frowned upon to put up you washing on a Sunday or the chaos you can cause in a supermarket for not weighing your veg.

If you count the channel Islands, then yes I have lived in Jersey for many years, which though quite British was also very different to living in Manchester.
It was also very multucultural with all the different season workers and those that had settled, spent most of it eating and drinking portugese cafes, in tge pubs with Bretons playing cards with Thais and later on hanging about with polish workrs

I have also lived in Thailand in my 20s and I would agree with poster that say best to learn the language and immerse yourself in the culture.

Last edited:
Lived in Germany for 7 years in the RAF lived every minute of it, if they hadn’t closed it down I’d still be in I reckon. Beautiful country, strong beer, some very nice ladies and a good standard of living and respect for each other. Also lived in Malawi as a 8-10 year old it was hot and different from oldham though maybe not so much now
Agree totally on Germany.

Spent most of the 90s living abroad for work - Hong Kong, Japan, Australia for 4 years, U.S. and like @PaleBlue Bermuda. An incredible experience and taught me a lot about other cultures and I hope made me a more accepting person. Going with work is great because you have ready made friends through work colleagues.
Best thing about it is meeting fantastic people - there are so many kind and generous people all around this world.
best advice is see as much of the countries and regions you’re in, you never know if you’ll be back there and you don’t want regrets later in life!

All I can say is the French hate us. The only people the French hate more than us is the Parisians.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.