Heart of Midlothian FC Thread

They’re not really comparable. Ten teams in England have won the league in England since the Old Firm regained their stranglehold in 1985, and one of the reasons there continues to be investment and interest in England is the realisation that there is healthy competition and that success is achievable. There’s little interest and less investment in Scotland because it’s become all about self-protection and that’s unhealthy.
A two horse race is a two horse race. All the rest is just tap dancing. Who will win it next year? Eh, City or Liverpool? Where that £184m?

A two horse race is a two horse race. All the rest is just tap dancing. Who will win it next year? Eh, City or Liverpool? Where that £184m?
I wouldn’t be too sure. With hindsight, it is easy to say that it was always going to be a two-horse race, yet the current Champions League holders and World Club Champions were not expected to implode.

Alternatively, if we stared into our crystal balls and predicted who would win the respective top leagues for the next ten years, it would be difficult to say in England, but I’m pretty sure neither would show the trophy leaving Glasgow (and I don’t expect Queen’s Park’s resurgence to go quite that far!).

I wouldn’t be too sure. With hindsight, it is easy to say that it was always going to be a two-horse race, yet the current Champions League holders and World Club Champions were not expected to implode.

Alternatively, if we stared into our crystal balls and predicted who would win the respective top leagues for the next ten years, it would be difficult to say in England, but I’m pretty sure neither would show the trophy leaving Glasgow (and I don’t expect Queen’s Park’s resurgence to go quite that far!).
It was easy to say because it is just a fact. And it’s easy to say that next year it will be City and Liverpool because that is a fact too. If you want to have a go because only two teams up here can win it then take that insight and look at your own league, where there is more money than sense. You have a two horse race, own it.

It was easy to say because it is just a fact. And it’s easy to say that next year it will be City and Liverpool because that is a fact too. If you want to have a go because only two teams up here can win it then take that insight and look at your own league, where there is more money than sense. You have a two horse race, own it.
No, that’s your opinion, not a fact. It may be a two-horse race again next season, but it won’t always be the same two horses and won’t always be two horses.

My point was not about the Old Firm but the culture in Scottish football that champions self-protection over competition.

Hold on just a minute. If I had won that £184m during the close season I would have stuck it all on your league being between City and Liverpool. You have a two horse race too. But unlike all the other clubs in your league since Sky gave you all the money, our clubs have fuck all money. We won the treble a few times and including Sky money we made £6m.

You have clubs, even the shitiest clubs with stadia of 20-30k capacity who have over £100m every year and yet, don’t land a fucking punch. But at the end of the day it’s between you and the Dippers. You league is about six teams getting into the top 4 and you two fighting it out to see who wins it.

having no money as most of our clubs do, even us and Rangers, relatively, means that the moving up is easy to say, but remember, City would be nowhere without investment. When our league has access to those same resources and are still shite, like ten of the EPL l, then you have a case.

And if Celtic and Rangers had access to that cash and were in the EPL, we would be taking every one of you on and beating most.
The Scottish league system has become a victim of its own deficiencies.

Right from when I can first remember - the early '70s - the Old Form were always the dominant teams, but they had competition from other clubs.

However, any young, emerging talent of these other teams was snapped up by the two Glasgow clubs. This inevitably widened the gap between them and the rest, which has led to the current state of the league.

What about Partick Thistle?

;-)

No, that’s your opinion, not a fact. It may be a two-horse race again next season, but it won’t always be the same two horses and won’t always be two horses.

My point was not about the Old Firm but the culture in Scottish football that champions self-protection over competition.
So are you advocating we don’t try to win? You miss the point that without the resources to be competitive you can’t be. There may be more horses down there but they have the resources and without them, they would be fucking shit too. 14 of your teams have those resources and still can’t move up, West ham got handed their arsenal by Frankfurt. Who were shit and Rangers took them to penalties. Fir the money your teams have they are fucking rank.

Can’t have any complaints. The Hearts midfield seemed incapable of retaining possession, particularly once Boyce was withdrawn, and neither fullback looked comfortable in defence. The gap in resources in Scotland is widening and it will only become more uncompetitive, and alas unattractive, as a consequence.
Out of interest how do you rate Ellis Simms? My mate used to help out at Chaddy Park juniors in Chadderton and his son played in the same team as Ellis. I know he is now with Everton but on load at Hearts and seems to be getting plenty of game time.

The Scottish league system has become a victim of its own deficiencies.

Right from when I can first remember - the early '70s - the Old Form were always the dominant teams, but they had competition from other clubs.

However, any young, emerging talent of these other teams was snapped up by the two Glasgow clubs. This inevitably widened the gap between them and the rest, which has led to the current state of the league.
No no no no no. Every league has dominant clubs. They have larger supports, they generate more income, they can buy better players. If Sky gave all our clubs with what they give yours there would be more competition. They don’t. That’s the issue. It’s always about money and the ability to use it to put together a good team. More than half your league are shit to watch and just make up the numbers. I say it again, if Celtic or Rangers had the same we would be having a go, apart from 4 clubs down your way, the rest just seem to accept being also rans. We never would.

Out of interest how do you rate Ellis Simms? My mate used to help out at Chaddy Park juniors in Chadderton and his son played in the same team as Ellis. I know he is now with Everton but on load at Hearts and seems to be getting plenty of game time.
Great for Hearts but he should never get near the Everton first team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.