Hillsborough - The Search for Truth

glenowen said:
Gerry Fitt was an MP from Belfast who some years ago introduced a new word into our vocabulary, in relation to the Northern Ireland Troubles. That word was "whataboutery". He coined this new term to express his extreme frustration at the fact that, after the latest atrocity committed by one side, the other side would attempt to play down its impact by claiming that they had suffered from worse atrocities - "well, that all's very well, but what about...that was much worse". That sort of thing.

Reading the recent references to Heysel in this thread, I am immediately reminded of Fitt's "whataboutery". Are these people really trying to suggest that our sympathy for the Hillsborough victims and their families should, somehow, be diminished by what happened at Heysel? "Hillsborough was terrible, but what about Heysel?”

The violent death of one completely innocent human being at a football match is just as bad as the violent death of any other. There should be absolutely no hierarchy of victimhood in such tragic matters. Those who refer to Heysel in that "whataboutery" fashion, in the same breath as expressing sympathy for the victims of Hillsborough, should be ashamed of themselves.
Some of us who have touched briefly upon Heysel have made that very point rather than the "whataboutery" that you refer to. Not that one was worse than the other, but that they were both equally tragic and avoidable.

No shame in that mate.

pb1951 said:
Please don't take this the wrong way the report speaks for its self and is very damming.
But regarding the media and especially Talk Sport I feel that there has been no balanced points of view put forward and get the feeling that any deviation from their views are not given air time and not tolerated. Although my views are at least 75% of the "Party line" they are not 100%

only one way to take it. By suggesting that the "debate" is one-sided and the media are conspiring against the authorities, airing only one side of an argument, you infer that the authorities are being denied a chance to justify their actions. For 23 years they have put their case, unopposed, on many occasions. Reported in full , by their friends in the media, been vindicated by their friends in parliament, been exonerated by their friends in the judiciary. Every lie is in newspaper archives and video vaults, undeniable. The only voices of dissent are of those whose lives revolve around a hatred of l'pool supporters, and can be ignored on the grounds that blind hate is not a point of view, it's an affliction .
i sincerely hope those involved in the cover-up get a chance to put their side of events. To a jury under oath.

I agree with the posts on here. There should be no 'whataboutery'.

I think however that victim hierarchy is more often created by media and/or marketing departments rather than individuals discussing events even when they are closely associated to any one particular event.

Large groups of people then get sucked in to the message sent out by these organisations.

Take the Munich air crash and the Manchester air crash (1985). Both equally horrible and tragic disasters for the people and families concerned.

It is I suppose natural that there may be MORE people interested in the former because they were professional sports stars and more in the minds eye. However, even this interest for those not immediately related to the victims concerned is relatively short lived. I may sound cynical but, if like anything else in life, there is a commercial/financial reason/benefit for keeping one item as a hotter topic than another then you can be sure that those organisations who can benefit will do so.

Victim hierarchy does not exist in itself, it is created externally.

Kelvin McKenzie getting a taste of his own medicine

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4oiBxXfNE&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4oiBxX ... e=youtu.be</a>

Kakhaber Tskhadadze K.O.T.A. said:
Kelvin McKenzie getting a taste of his own medicine

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4oiBxXfNE&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4oiBxX ... e=youtu.be</a>

Love it

"I had a hand in it, but at Boris's request," said Simon Heffer. "Leader writers don't have any responsibility (or apologise) for things they are asked to write by their editors, so I won't be saying anything, but I of course support entirely what Boris has said"

I may have missed it, but has anyone interviewed/questioned Colin Moynihan about all of this?

Back in 89 he was the Sports Minister who had tried to force ID cards on us and had a very poor view of fans. He would have been involved in all aspects of Hillsborough and, obviously, reported direct to Thatcher.

As he is still active and involved with sport surely someone in the media should speak with him. I'd like to hear his views on what the Govt knew; the discussions with the police and so on.

He'll have answers that may be of interest and may answer questions about Govt involvement and so on.

Bernard Ingham's another one who should be questioned.

Gary James said:
I may have missed it, but has anyone interviewed/questioned Colin Moynihan about all of this?

Back in 89 he was the Sports Minister who had tried to force ID cards on us and had a very poor view of fans. He would have been involved in all aspects of Hillsborough and, obviously, reported direct to Thatcher.

As he is still active and involved with sport surely someone in the media should speak with him. I'd like to hear his views on what the Govt knew; the discussions with the police and so on.

He'll have answers that may be of interest and may answer questions about Govt involvement and so on.

Bernard Ingham's another one who should be questioned.

Cameron has just stated in parliament that the government of the time werent implicated in the last investigation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.