Holidays

You win some you lose some. I did a South America trip in 2014 and got a travel agent to look into it all for me, work out an itinerary (all free of charge) and then just booked it myself for less than half the price. I know loads of people who will only book package deals because they see it as more secure, particularly those with young kids. I rarely do it that way, as I always find short haul cheaper when booking individually. I'll often check the package deals just to see what is going, something last minute options give better value.

It shows the price changes when you got Mauritius for that price. You'd possibly get a week in Europe with business class flights for £5k for two people, but probably not!
Just before COVID hit there was a Veneto wine tour advertised in one of the Sunday papers with full itinerary published for £4K each.
I copied the itinerary and booked the lot flights, car hire, hotel, visits and tastings for just over £1K for two of us!

That's simply not the case.

Some hotels will sell direct cheaper than via consolidators, but the majority of hotels/chains are often more expensive when booking directly with them.

They rely heavily on distribution.
If it’s dearer I just look for another hotel,I prefer money in my pocket I’m a tight old bugger bit like steptoe!

I've just come back from a couple of weeks on the Sunshine Coast in Australia. What a country ! Obviously didn't see some of the rundown parts, but what I did see was wonderful, such a civilized place. I am not a UK sceptic, I love this country, but Australia is something else. If you haven't been, try and give it a go.

Just before COVID hit there was a Veneto wine tour advertised in one of the Sunday papers with full itinerary published for £4K each.
I copied the itinerary and booked the lot flights, car hire, hotel, visits and tastings for just over £1K for two of us!
And extra 3 grand to spend on wine…result!

I've just come back from a couple of weeks on the Sunshine Coast in Australia. What a country ! Obviously didn't see some of the rundown parts, but what I did see was wonderful, such a civilized place. I am not a UK sceptic, I love this country, but Australia is something else. If you haven't been, try and give it a go.
Plenty of Aussies during my time in London prefer it here. I think it’s a case of the grass is always greener.

I adore Berlin, Malaga and Stockholm. I’d prefer to live in Wales but only when I want life to be slower.

You win some you lose some. I did a South America trip in 2014 and got a travel agent to look into it all for me, work out an itinerary (all free of charge) and then just booked it myself for less than half the price. I know loads of people who will only book package deals because they see it as more secure, particularly those with young kids. I rarely do it that way, as I always find short haul cheaper when booking individually. I'll often check the package deals just to see what is going, something last minute options give better value.

It shows the price changes when you got Mauritius for that price. You'd possibly get a week in Europe with business class flights for £5k for two people, but probably not!
We were looking at some places in Greece this year in decent standard for a week for 3 and all were £5k plus. Some £8/9k!

We were looking at some places in Greece this year in decent standard for a week for 3 and all were £5k plus. Some £8/9k!

It's madness. People are paying it though or the prices would be dropping. A lot are trying to make up for covid losses and rising costs but they're taking the piss with some of the prices out there.

General holiday prices have of course shot up, but anyone only looking now for 2023 summer school holiday dates have really missed the boat.

Bucket and spade Europe for summer 2023 has been on sale with most tour ops from around November 2021, and it's always advisable to book well in advance when you're looking to travel during a peak period (Christmas/Easter/Summer/basically any school holiday)

Completely understand that some people don't wanna plan too far ahead, but we're only 4 months away from the main school summer holidays and anyone not expecting to now be paying an absolute premium at this relatively late stage in this post Covid travel world is a bit naive.

It will hopefully level off again, but probably not for a couple of years or so.

If Carlsberg did pub lunches. I get that holidays overseas are taking a hit but the British Isles still has so much to offer the errant traveller, so don't lose hope and go and explore all that we have on our own doorstep.

Anyone recognise this fine hostelry of repute? That's some mighty fine logging going on in the background to see us safely through our session. Outside temperatures of circa 6 degrees but it's not all about the fiery ball in the sky.

allMnFa.jpg

We were reliably informed from Peter a regular visitor of this twilight ale house, that the aforementioned table is late 18th century oak featuring chamfered block legs joined by peripheral stretchers. The table was in the same family’s collection for over two hundred years and has aged beautifully, with wonderful colour and patina throughout.

I tend to agree and so we took great care to use mats to further protect it's life span.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.