Holidays

This. Obviously it's different strokes for different folks but I have been north, central, south, sicily, sardinia and have never had a bad time. I must have spent close to the equivalent of a calendar year there and I can count the bad days on the fingers of one finger.
Yep another big fan of Italy here, don’t get me wrong, some cities are a bit rough around the edges, but all have something worthwhile seeing. Also find the Italians (away from football) absolutely spot on, they really appreciate it if you attempt to speak the language unlike our neighbours across the channel.

Yep another big fan of Italy here, don’t get me wrong, some cities are a bit rough around the edges, but all have something worthwhile seeing. Also find the Italians (away from football) absolutely spot on, they really appreciate it if you attempt to speak the language unlike our neighbours across the channel.

That is very true. For years my basic French was miles better than my Italian but I would just get a 'no idea what you are on about' shrug or even the piss taken out of me if i made the effort in France, but in Italy even with a fraction of the language people will respond in a warm fashion. Also when language breaks down the Italians are way better at expressive sign language!

In fairness I think it depends where you are in France, as far as I can tell the Parisians think anyone who isn't from Paris is an imbecile and the people of the Charente only seem to dislike tourists as much as they do everyone else . However I went to watch some RL down in Carcassonne once and they were dead friendly.

That is very true. For years my basic French was miles better than my Italian but I would just get a 'no idea what you are on about' shrug or even the piss taken out of me if i made the effort in France, but in Italy even with a fraction of the language people will respond in a warm fashion. Also when language breaks down the Italians are way better at expressive sign language!

In fairness I think it depends where you are in France, as far as I can tell the Parisians think anyone who isn't from Paris is an imbecile and the people of the Charente only seem to dislike tourists as much as they do everyone else . However I went to watch some RL down in Carcassonne once and they were dead friendly.

The French are very different from region to region. My wife's sister is married to a Frenchman from the Loire region. I've known him and his family for about a decade now. And he's great. Great fun, good laugh and very childish. Most of their friends can't speak English at all. His parents barely do. But a lot of the French in the north know enough to make it pointless speaking French badly to you. The trouble is their faces look like thunder and they seem pissed off, but they can't help how they look. I think it's something we're a bit sensitive to generally.

The Italians are great. What always puzzles me though is how they're generally very calm and take their time over things. They'll have a good 30 minute chat about what pasta goes better with their ragu but throw them in the car and it's like the world is ending.

The French are very different from region to region. My wife's sister is married to a Frenchman from the Loire region. I've known him and his family for about a decade now. And he's great. Great fun, good laugh and very childish. Most of their friends can't speak English at all. His parents barely do. But a lot of the French in the north know enough to make it pointless speaking French badly to you. The trouble is their faces look like thunder and they seem pissed off, but they can't help how they look. I think it's something we're a bit sensitive to generally.

The Italians are great. What always puzzles me though is how they're generally very calm and take their time over things. They'll have a good 30 minute chat about what pasta goes better with their ragu but throw them in the car and it's like the world is ending.

True. Palermo is the maddest place I've ever driven in apart from Delhi/Gurgaon.

I'll give you that re the Languedoc region and likewise for the neighbouring basque regions. In fact most if the South of France is fine even with their Nicoise accent. My French is pretty good but in the Northern and Central areas of France, in particular the Loire Valley and Burgundy regions they are very picky.

Not true in my experience of 22 years having a property in Brittany. They are very warm and welcoming. But they themselves hate the arrogance of Parisians

We did Bologna and Ferrara last July and it was too hot unless your days are in air conditioned vehicles or trying to find routes using the shade of imposing overhead buildings. Stunning place and food if you're open to alternatives to Rome and the motor valley with all big supercar makers are on its doorstep as well as Ducatti which makes a great day out and Florence is about an hour by train.
Both lovely places as are nearby Modena, Reggio Emilia and Parma.

Italy is the finest country for a holiday IMHO. A bit of everything really.

Not true in my experience of 22 years having a property in Brittany. They are very warm and welcoming. But they themselves hate the arrogance of Parisians
Brittany is an odd one and probably the exception that proves the rule. I have a good mate from near Quimper. Also spent a few summers there in the countryside around Chateaubriand where his extended family have a farm.

Absolute shithole!
And Port Said Sad which surely must be the second Absolute Shithole in the history of humanity.

Tourist guides say Port Said is one of the most vibrant cities on the northern coast of the Suez and that the vibrant town has a rich tapestrie of history predating even the Suez canal itself. "Oh you bloody think so"

We took a horse drawn carriage to the war cemetry which was a good call and then a nice stroll down a shit laden rubish tip that passed for a beach. The locals oggled my wives tits all the way back to ship, but were far more brutal with me, eyeing up my arse like some tasty lump of tenderloin.

If Cleopatra had still been around, she'd have been mortified.

oOGc8Cu.jpg

In Egypts defence sharmie sheik was really good and the diving visability and nightlife were excellent.

Last edited:
You will be labelled a Gammon now

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.