Holidays

Currently in Koh Samui, after travelling through Bangkok.
The wifes gone off on a retreat for the week so Ive spent 3 days at Lamai and now at Chewang mooching about.
Its out of season so im getting really good deals on hotels all on spec and everything is dirt cheap.
Pint of chang is about 2 quid and a decent pad thai 1.80.
If you come with tui dont do all inclusive its a waste of money and you will want to get out and about and definitely try to get to stopover in Bangkok as its an amazing city

Bangkok does seem to attract polarised opinions. Personally, I loved it but I have heard so many people have a strong dislike for it.

Personally, I was not so keen on Koh Samui but it has been a long time since I was there (c20 years).

Bangkok does seem to attract polarised opinions. Personally, I loved it but I have heard so many people have a strong dislike for it.

Personally, I was not so keen on Koh Samui but it has been a long time since I was there (c20 years).
Yea each to his own.
I personally like cities with a bit of character, cant see the fuss about Dubai for instance.
I was similar, first came to Thailand over 25 years ago,changed a lot since then.
Just as I type the heavens have opened and its lashing it down, prob why its shoulder season .

Yea each to his own.
I personally like cities with a bit of character, cant see the fuss about Dubai for instance.
I was similar, first came to Thailand over 25 years ago,changed a lot since then.
Just as I type the heavens have opened and its lashing it down, prob why its shoulder season .
Re character, I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's why I liked Bangkok so much.

Reactions: cpa
Currently in Koh Samui, after travelling through Bangkok.
The wifes gone off on a retreat for the week so Ive spent 3 days at Lamai and now at Chewang mooching about.
Its out of season so im getting really good deals on hotels all on spec and everything is dirt cheap.
Pint of chang is about 2 quid and a decent pad thai 1.80.
If you come with tui dont do all inclusive its a waste of money and you will want to get out and about and definitely try to get to stopover in Bangkok as its an amazing city
As part of Jan/Feb cruise we're doing Bangkok on Sunday 5th February, it's a stop over destination so we're booking a hotel for the night as the centre of Bangkok is 90 minutes from the port. We'll get a taxi about 8am and have a full day and night in BK then until about 1pm the following day before we head back to the ship. Are there any areas/Hotels you recommend in BK, going to spend about £100 so should get 4/5 star for that.

If we return in 2026 we won't be doing a package or All Inclusive, I always book my own flights, hotels and transfers, depending on prices next year we may do 4 weeks but I'd probably do something like Chang Mai for a week then another week in the north and a final 2 weeks in somewhere like Kho Samui or Phuket.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, weather has turned here this week, getting cold.

Reactions: cpa
As part of Jan/Feb cruise we're doing Bangkok on Sunday 5th February, it's a stop over destination so we're booking a hotel for the night as the centre of Bangkok is 90 minutes from the port. We'll get a taxi about 8am and have a full day and night in BK then until about 1pm the following day before we head back to the ship. Are there any areas/Hotels you recommend in BK, going to spend about £100 so should get 4/5 star for that.

If we return in 2026 we won't be doing a package or All Inclusive, I always book my own flights, hotels and transfers, depending on prices next year we may do 4 weeks but I'd probably do something like Chang Mai for a week then another week in the north and a final 2 weeks in somewhere like Kho Samui or Phuket.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, weather has turned here this week, getting cold.
We always stay at the same place,the Novotel in Sumkhovit 4 it was about 70 a night.
I will say tho its not for everyone as its on the street of one of the girly bars sections.
We just love to people watch in the evening and nobody really bothers you so its ideal for us.
The Bts skytrain is just round the corner, as well as plenty of restaurants.
Its got good ratings on trip advisor as well.
But as I said it wont appeal to everyone.
Just a thought but most hotel check in isn't till 2.00 pm and check out at 12 are you not just better getting a taxi back to the ship there quite cheap in Bkk .

What are peoples negatives re Hong Kong ?
First time I went,didnt much like the place, too busy, too expensive, no night life, that was probably 20 years ago tho and was my fault for not doing my research properly re the night life .
Love the place now. Lucky enough to go there at least once a year .

We are going Playacar Mexico on the 4th October

Has anyone been and if so is it ok?

I fly back from Bratislava on the 3rd Oct, land in Manchester at 9pm. Back to the airport the next morning to fly to Mexico

An eventful week
I’ve stayed in Playacar. It’s just south of Playa Del Carmen and is really an estate strip of oceanfront hotels/condos and a little shopping centre - the access roads to Playacar are off the main highway from Cancun Airport to Tulum. Some very nice hotels for all budgets - we stayed at an Iberostar which was mid range (then) but fine. Beautiful beaches in PDC and Playacar. Good shopping and nightlife in PDC (look up the Drunken Tourist on YouTube for a recent review of restaurants there and a look around). Can get a ferry over to Cozumel Island for a day trip. Which hotel have you booked ?

We always stay at the same place,the Novotel in Sumkhovit 4 it was about 70 a night.
I will say tho its not for everyone as its on the street of one of the girly bars sections.
We just love to people watch in the evening and nobody really bothers you so its ideal for us.
The Bts skytrain is just round the corner, as well as plenty of restaurants.
Its got good ratings on trip advisor as well.
But as I said it wont appeal to everyone.
Just a thought but most hotel check in isn't till 2.00 pm and check out at 12 are you not just better getting a taxi back to the ship there quite cheap in Bkk .
Thanks for the advice, I may just do that with the taxi, what time do they operate until? There's a good chance City play the Tarquins on that Sunday, it could kick off at 10:30pm BK time so would I be able to get a cab back to the port at around 1am?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.