Honestly who is/was better?

M18CTID said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
franksinatra said:
Where has anyone said he is as good a player as Silva?

The players are compared because they both posess mesmering skills and the ability to produce flashes out of the brilliance, others players are not capable of.

Decent championship player...priceless

The title of the thread is "Honestly who is/was better?" maybe you should read before posting.

To ask who's better out of Silva and Kinkladze is as somebody else as already said, like asking who's better out of Goater and Aguero. Kinkladze left City to move onto bigger and better things at Ajax and managed just 12 appearances in 2 years without ever scoring and yet still some of you are comparing him to Silva, it really really is astonishing how deluded some people are about Kinkladze.

Perhaps it might be an idea to look further into why he only made 12 appearances for Ajax rather than claiming he was no more that a "decent championship player" (This despite him impressing against many teams far better than us in the Premier League season of 95-96). It's fair to say that there were some mitigating circumstances as to why he didn't make an impact at Ajax:

Following transfer negotiations which had been ongoing in the final months of the season, Kinkladze left Manchester City for Dutch club Ajax for £5 million.[19] The move brought a reunion with Shota Arveladze, with whom he shared a house in Amsterdam.[49] However, Kinkladze's spell at Ajax proved unsuccessful. He was originally signed as a replacement for Jari Litmanen, but Litmanen stayed at Ajax as his proposed move to Barcelona fell through. As a result, Kinkladze played in an unfamiliar left-wing position.[50] His league debut for Ajax came in a 2–0 win against Willem II on 23 August 1998,[49] but starts were a rare occurrence. To compound matters, manager Morten Olsen was sacked early in the season, and a disagreement with replacement Jan Wouters resulted in Kinkladze losing his place in the team,[51][52] with Richard Knopper the preferred backup for Litmanen.[53] "I could have been Maradona and he wouldn't have changed the system to accommodate me", Kinkladze recalled later. "I wasn't playing football and that made my life hell."[50] He immediately started to look elsewhere. Several English top-flight clubs showed interest in signing him, but were discouraged by work permit issues. His lack of regular playing time also resulted in him losing his place in the Georgian national team.[52][54] Having failed to established himself in the first team and struggling with a succession of injuries, he made just 12 appearances for Ajax in his first season.[53]

Whats interesting about that last piece was the conundrum managers faced at the time. Frank Clark eluded to this stating he was concerned that to mount a promotion charge Kinky wouldnt get enough goals from playing as a second striker, the role Clark preferred for him.

Fifteen years on Kinkladze would perfectly fit i the systems adopted by the Mancinis of the world, enabling the fluid movement of players across the line and the flexibility of sytems. Back then it was simply, he didnt tackle enough to be put in the centre of mid, and didnt score enough to play upfront.

Kinky never had the chance to play in a great team. I think Mancini would expect more in tracking back and defending than he could give. Silva gives this. But I would love to have seen the luxury player Kinky was in this team

Neville Kneville said:
Gio had the talent to be better than Silva & as good as Messi but not the attitude or application. Because of that, he is nowhere near to being one of City's best players, just a wonderful talent who occasionally showed us what he could have done every game, if he could have been arsed.

Silva is twice the player Gio was.

bit harsh...........................

BimboBob said:
Silva and Kinky are different players. Silva is all touch and small passes, little darting runs into space, a little genius.
Kinky on the other hand was more of a dribbler than a passer. But boy what a dribbler. That Southampton goal still gives me goosebumps. The way he drifted past people still sticks in the memory.

Kinky or Silva?

Kinky at the moment due to Silva not having as many class moments.

What an absurd post.

whp.blue said:
so far apart not even funny

David Silva

I agree that Silva is the better player and that isn't up for discussion.

I know you weren't as much a Kinkladze fan as me but it can't be denied that he had that talent but his achilles heel, like so many other players, was not applying himself properly and therefore he didn't get to achieve anything like as much as he should've done. I actually think we had him at his peak in terms of fitness and professionalism, particularly in that first season, and if we'd stayed up he could well have kicked on. Trouble is, we went down and regressed as a team meaning some of our players were on even less of the same wavelength as him as time went by. Once he left us and didn't cut it for whatever reason at Ajax he seemed unable to recapture the old magic. I'm sure a lack of fitness played a part in that. I'd put him in the bracket of "flawed genius".

Silva on the other hand is the consummate professional - not only does he have bags of talent, his fitness levels and application are second to none. We really have the best of both worlds where he is concerned. Not only that, he's not afraid to get stuck in too.

I don't think a peak 95-96 Kinkladze would've looked too out of place in our current side, providing he could've done as much of the dirty work as Mancini demands of his players.

I'm with the OP here.

my favourite in my generation of going city since 1994 is Kinkladze, then when one of my favourite all time players sign and put in performances everyweek like he is and he plays for my football club, it has to be him.

David Silva's bakewell tarts are the best
better than Mr.Kiplings and the rest
he'd eat the foil if he could
Our David .....'exceedingly good

I love you David <3

Bollocks that Silva is twice the player etc. What a crock of shite! Granted Silva's class but no way is he twice Kinkladze's class. Infact I'd say Gio had better skill than Silva, infact better if not equal to Maradonna. As for who's the better player, I'd say Silva for his allround game but for skill I'd pay to watch Gio over Silva.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.