Honestly who is/was better?

Frank H said:
franksinatra said:
The purpose of the title was provoking and to get a response (It worked) but as yet the thread has voted unaminously in favour of Silva.

Your comments sound like you are not a City fan (No problem with that) and so the emotional attachment many people feel to Kinkladze maybe difficult to understand, certainly to a generation of fans who had this point had probably never seen a truly gifted player represent the club.

At this time there were many shocking players at the club, with Gerry Creaney highlighting the mismangement which was at the core of our descent down the divisions. Swapping Paul Walsh for the services of a player with a clear weight issue was foolish to say the least. Creaney epitomised the bad management, hence being used as an example
You are right, I don't claim to be a City fan. But I do understand why many City fans of your generation would feel an emotional attachment to Kinkladze, and indeed commend you for it.

Although not a City fan, I would describe myself as a City sympathizer. I used to be because I rather disliked the hype surrounding ManU. and Liverpool (I'm also an Everton sympathizer - I apologise for that!). I still remember the glorious 1967-8 season, when I was really pleased that you became champions. I actually managed to see that great team play (at West Brom.), Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young etc.

I am now a City follower for a different reason - as you can no longer be classed as an underdog to your neighbours. I am not a "glory hunter", as I don't claim any strong City allegiance. However I am excited that we now have in the EPL a team which may potentially rival Barca in talent and attractiveness of playing style.

I think it might be very exciting seeing just how good this team can be, and what trophies it can win as a result.

Best wishes to yourself and all City fans - and to the team.

Thats fair enough Frank, not eveyone can be blessed to support City, so I imagine being a sympathiser is the next best thing. I am also excited by our future, but like you have stated you should never forget the past and the rich tapestry which made the club so special and alluring in the first place.

As you can see im a huge fan of Kinkladze and feel some fans give him a disservice at times, its common with flair players that when they dont perform they get the lazy tag or selfish tag thrown at them. Sure they were games when he didnt perform but that was endemic throughout the team, as a fan motivating myself during that time was difficult, so I can imagine how a footballer many miles away from a homeland scarred by war would feel.

As fans we talk about loyalty from players, with the Tevez encapsulating that situation, yet a player like Kinkladze who sacrificed part of his career to help this club is occasionally discussed in derogatory terms (not on this thread as yet) really riles me.

Keep enjoying the blue rollercoaster

it's a lovely question to drool over, like asking would you like to wake up next to Kylie or Holly Vallance? I think ijn terms of pure talent Kinky was the best I have ever seen but I would reluctantly have Silva over him in today's team because he is a better team player and fits in better with the way we play today.

As a football fan as well as a City fan you really have to have both in the team. I don't think David can dribble past a plethora of players like Gio could but then I think David is better in tight spaces.

However, City fans should never ever forget the contribution that Gio made at perhaps one of the worst time sin our history.

Kris_Musampa said:
This is like the Ali v Tyson argument.

Tremendous at their sports but from different times and styles. Impossible and futile to try and compare.

Just enjoy them at their best, and one day you will tell your kids / Grandkids...

"I was there and saw them play..."

I think the Ali v Tyson is actually a perfect example to use. Tyson/kinky could absolutely destroy opponents. The feeling I got from watching kinky was different to Silva. Without wanting to sound cheesy, I remember the whole Maine road crowd almost pausing for breath when kinky got the ball. It was like we all felt no matter where he was on the pitch he could beat 5 men and stick it in the top corner, which he did a few times. With Silva I feel comfortable that he will create a decisive killer pass/keep possession when needed, and i am genuinely surprised if he misplaces 1 single pass coz he's that good. Agree with what Danburger said about him being the 3rd best player in world behind messi and the ****.

Silva is Ali. A much better player, classier, but more relevant, competes against the best unlike kinky,tyson who destroyed more ordinary competitors. Silva beats kinky, ali beats tyson.

Frank H said:
colourmeblue said:
Its tempting to make comparisons, each in their own right made/make an indelible impression. I just wonder do fans make these comparisons based on how they felt about respective players having an emotional effect as opposed to their footballing skills per se. If its the former Im sorry David but not just yet mate.
You're right about "emotional effect" having a major part to play.

But would anyone claim that Goater was a better striker/player than Aguero, Balotelli, or Dzeko? From what I read in this forum, I suspect that his "emotional effect" was greater than any of these.

Which neatly leads me to ask of the thread title....better in what sense?<br /><br />-- Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:59 pm --<br /><br />
Boots_ said:
Gio is perfect for YouTube .

fixed that for you mate

Happy Feet said:
Shaelumstash said:
I assume this thread is some kind of wind up?

Kinkladze was a penny in a sea of shite, whereas Silva is a genuine world class player who would make the starting line up of any club side in the world. It's like debating whether Goater is a better player than Aguero.
Summed up perfectly.

This all day long........

I think somebody compared this to ali/tyson debate, absolute garbage!!!!

Iniesta/Silva yes, but Kinkladze/Silva not in a million years. Kinkladze was an average prem player at the very best, probably a decent championship player in all reality. Its absolutely mind boggling how some of you regard him so highly and are comparing him with Silva. I want what some of you lot are smoking, it might make work go about quicker.

dan.j.mcfc said:
Happy Feet said:
Shaelumstash said:
I assume this thread is some kind of wind up?

Kinkladze was a penny in a sea of shite, whereas Silva is a genuine world class player who would make the starting line up of any club side in the world. It's like debating whether Goater is a better player than Aguero.
Summed up perfectly.

Iniesta/Silva yes, but Kinkladze/Silva not in a million years. Kinkladze was an average prem player at the very best, probably a decent championship player in all reality. Its absolutely mind boggling how some of you regard him so highly and are comparing him with Silva. I want what some of you lot are smoking, it might make work go about quicker.

Where has anyone said he is as good a player as Silva?

The players are compared because they both posess mesmering skills and the ability to produce flashes out of the brilliance, others players are not capable of.

Decent championship player...priceless

Silva and Kinky are different players. Silva is all touch and small passes, little darting runs into space, a little genius.
Kinky on the other hand was more of a dribbler than a passer. But boy what a dribbler. That Southampton goal still gives me goosebumps. The way he drifted past people still sticks in the memory.

Kinky or Silva?

Kinky at the moment due to Silva not having as many class moments.

franksinatra said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
Happy Feet said:
Summed up perfectly.

Where has anyone said he is as good a player as Silva?

The players are compared because they both posess mesmering skills and the ability to produce flashes out of the brilliance, others players are not capable of.

Decent championship player...priceless

Decent championship player... priceless. You beat me to it Frankie boy.! dan.j.mcfc you are a fucking loon of the highest order!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.