Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Very early 70's for me, remember it being pence to get it.
Late sixties early seventies it was two Bob into the scoreboard and half a crown into the Kippax for a junior. There was a transfer gate between the two, so if it started raining you could get under cover for another tanner. Used this sometimes if scoreboard full of away fans.

Late sixties early seventies it was two Bob into the scoreboard and half a crown into the Kippax for a junior. There was a transfer gate between the two, so if it started raining you could get under cover for another tanner. Used this sometimes if scoreboard full of away fans.
It's taking the thread a bit off topic but Coventry in the spring of '71 was my first game (in the Kippax) I remember my dad moaning that we could only get in the new roofless unfinished North Stand for the ECWC semi....and we'd put the prices up!!!!!

I used to visit the underground market ,before home matches,back in the 80s,as an out of town Blue,i headed straight for the record collector s stand,with the woman who looked liked she was in Van Halen...dont know her name but she had some bloody good discs on display....
I always felt a bit daft shuffling thru the kippax with some old rare second hand record in me hand.....obviously not a full on footy violence kid,lol..my addiction to record collecting was getting in the way of looking tough on the Kippax...somat had to go...
Haha. I remember the record stall woman.

I used to visit the underground market ,before home matches,back in the 80s,as an out of town Blue,i headed straight for the record collector s stand,with the woman who looked liked she was in Van Halen...dont know her name but she had some bloody good discs on display....
I always felt a bit daft shuffling thru the kippax with some old rare second hand record in me hand.....obviously not a full on footy violence kid,lol..my addiction to record collecting was getting in the way of looking tough on the Kippax...somat had to go...
I did same, buying clothes and records. Coming over from Northern Ireland underground market always first port of call

I did same, buying clothes and records. Coming over from Northern Ireland underground market always first port of call
Spent a lot of time in record shops and Aflecks arcade in the 80s
There was a great vibe in those places back in the day,a bustling friendly confident Mancunian viibe ..which drew me in every time.you just wanted to be part of it.Great days.
Then the banter on the Kippax after you had found your mates in roughly the same spot...half way line,half way down ,near the away fans end.......pre match atmosphere was always great ....when the game actually kicked off it was normally all downhill tho...;)

Spent a lot of time in record shops and Aflecks arcade in the 80s
There was a great vibe in those places back in the day,a bustling friendly confident Mancunian viibe ..which drew me in every time.you just wanted to be part of it.Great days.
Then the banter on the Kippax after you had found your mates in roughly the same spot...half way line,half way down ,near the away fans end.......pre match atmosphere was always great ....when the game actually kicked off it was normally all downhill tho...;)

Your reference to the records and the kippax made me smile. We stood at the scoreboard end, 18 yd line two thirds down. And like you loved the banter. There was another group stood near us, and one of their lot used to cycle to the ground and brought his cycle pump into the ground. Another would take advantage of any quiet moment by screaming,"Taxi for Kernaghan" .
Another lad turned up at quarter past 4 , every week, and asked what was the score ?, worked until 4.
Great memories, can't remember the football though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.