Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Who
56d2266ab73c5189904ce0573aed5d1d.jpg
Who and where ?

Brings back memories, we were a lot younger then, but it gives a taste of how it was. Gutted when we lost that game, but again we had a huge following, i was behind the goals that day, and remember one of my best mates running across the pitch, after getting chased out of there KOP.
The better game was the next one, when we did win, and they invaded the pitch, again we had a huge following, i was in the Lowfield side, as seats had gone in behind the goals by then.
I enjoyed going to Leeds, the place of my first ever away game, in 1969, CS, at the start of the season, i was just a kid with my older brother, god bless him.
Some great games and lots of fun going to Leeds.

The cup final replay in 1981 stands out for me as a particularly nasty evening. City fans outnumbered by 5-to-1 it seemed, Spurs fans everywhere and lots of fighting throughout the whole match. I remember before then going up with my dad to get tickets from the Wembley box office. Which was just a shitty brick hut in the car park. It was dark, pissing down and there were thousands there all trying to get to a couple of windows. The crush was genuinely scary and I did think I'd lose my dad. But we got there somehow and managed to get a couple of tickets for the 'away" end, cos clearly this rearranged Thursday night replay was always going to be a home game for Spurs. We were the only Mancs there amongst a heaving throng of strangers with strange accents, that evening will live with me forever. And then there was the gane itself, amazing memories if for the wrong result.
Truly horrible night this.
I was driving for a living then and as 'luck would have it' Thursday was my London run to pick up from the warehouse in North London somewhere. I took my young B-I-L with me and after loading up, i left my truck in the yard and hopped on the tube down to Wembley. Spurs were everywhere that night indiscriminately smacking anyone, women, kids et all who looked like a 'Northerner'!
In the ground it was bedlam and as many have said, us Blues were completely outnumbered and i spent most of the first half at least in a mass brawl and at some point, i swear i say a live cockerel in the end we were in and City fans trying to get to it.......... i was pretty sober as i had to drive my truck back that night so i am surely not imagining this? I missed Macca's goal due to the constant rucks and charging that was going on and it wasn't until a few days later that i say it on TV !!
After the game it was like a scene from 'The Warriors' with Spurs literally everywhere and itching for a ruck!! We eventually got on the tube and kept our heads down (on top of everything else, I was fearful of looking after my young B-I-L who wouldn't stop talking .......... in an obvious Northern accent of course!!)
I remember a guy getting on the tube with a Barry Manilow shirt on as he'd been to his concert and the Spurs shit just laid into him with non-stop and vicious verbals, he was on his own or had one mate with him and there were 50+ Spurs shits taunting him and i would have felt sorry for him except it took the Spurs shits attention away from Blues fans!!
When we got off the tube, i caught a couple of smacks before the door closed and decided it wasn't a bad result (apart from the match) as we were both safe now.
As others have also said, i have fkin hated Spurs since that day..... absolute wankers as fans!!

The cup final replay in 1981 stands out for me as a particularly nasty evening. City fans outnumbered by 5-to-1 it seemed, Spurs fans everywhere and lots of fighting throughout the whole match. I remember before then going up with my dad to get tickets from the Wembley box office. Which was just a shitty brick hut in the car park. It was dark, pissing down and there were thousands there all trying to get to a couple of windows. The crush was genuinely scary and I did think I'd lose my dad. But we got there somehow and managed to get a couple of tickets for the 'away" end, cos clearly this rearranged Thursday night replay was always going to be a home game for Spurs. We were the only Mancs there amongst a heaving throng of strangers with strange accents, that evening will live with me forever. And then there was the gane itself, amazing memories if for the wrong result.
Everything you say here is so true. We were one of the first city coaches to arrive and by the time it parked up we had no windows left. Most Spurs were in the lower section of our end as I remember. Loads of missiles and the sticks from the banners and flags being used as weapons. Carnage after, worst I’ve ever seen. One copper getting a right kicking from Spurs but somehow a small group of blues managed to rescue him. Longest trip home ever on the motorway freezing.

Everything you say here is so true. We were one of the first city coaches to arrive and by the time it parked up we had no windows left. Most Spurs were in the lower section of our end as I remember. Loads of missiles and the sticks from the banners and flags being used as weapons. Carnage after, worst I’ve ever seen. One copper getting a right kicking from Spurs but somehow a small group of blues managed to rescue him. Longest trip home ever on the motorway freezing.
Shower of shit , run the scousers and rags close as my least favourite club. As I've said elsewhere no way replay should have been in London. Cockney teams twats at Wembley at this time, remember full members cup final, also Chelsea attacked Stoke families at league cup final. Mind you seen many Spurs get battered in Manchester since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.