Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Was at Leicester that day also, on helens A coach, went in the Leicester end with loads of others.
That corner was so full, never known an away end so full.
Remember that game well . Absolutely roasting hot day . Jibbed over the turnstiles in that away corner . Blues on the opposite side in the standing paddock swaying like feck ! One thing has always stood out about that day in my memory though . The slowest , most pissed up walk on i`ve ever heard in my life !

Never seen really bad trouble at Maine Rd, despite standing on the Kippax in the days when there was still no segregation on derby days between supporters. Maybe the odd scuffle. Always kept myself to myself, and I'm no streetfighter anyway, and was somehow never picked on even at Anfield and Elland Rd, where I was usually on my own. Had to keep your wits about you, though.
Closest I came to it was picked on by two rags, both bigger than me, while walking down Claremont Rd would you believe, after a match. They called me a couple of names, spat in my general direction without actually hitting me, I answered back, they started walking towards me, I just turned with my usual aplomb and walked away. In short, nothing to report really.
Oh, yeah, years later, guy jumped me on the north bank at Arsenal. I was with a good mate who was an Arsenal fan who never missed a home match; I knew I was breaking the rules, wearing my colours. I must have been just about the only blue on the entire terrace! Although there were masses of blues at the scoreboard end. I've always been a bit mouthy at matches, must have wound this bloke up no end, I'd been doing it right through the match. As I say, breaking the most elementary rules. Friend immediately interceded, the bloke (who had had a fair few, to be honest) mouthed off at me, and we moved off in the crowd. At that point I thought I'd be well advised to take my scarf off and put it in my pocket! Oh yeah — we got smashed 3-0.

Night games at Maine Rd were fucking ace

Walking all the way down Dickinson Road after getting off the 92 (which I think was the 192 back in the day), and seeing those beautiful floodlights off in the distance illuminating the sky! My pace would always quicken, couldn't help it…
By the way, am I absolutely the only one to have noticed that there's a blue plaque on one of the houses on Dickinson Road to say that the writer Elizabeth Gaskell had lived there? Or there was…

Never seen really bad trouble at Maine Rd, despite standing on the Kippax in the days when there was still no segregation on derby days between supporters. Maybe the odd scuffle. Always kept myself to myself, and I'm no streetfighter anyway, and was somehow never picked on even at Anfield and Elland Rd, where I was usually on my own. Had to keep your wits about you, though.
Closest I came to it was picked on by two rags, both bigger than me, while walking down Claremont Rd would you believe, after a match. They called me a couple of names, spat in my general direction without actually hitting me, I answered back, they started walking towards me, I just turned with my usual aplomb and walked away. In short, nothing to report really.
Oh, yeah, years later, guy jumped me on the north bank at Arsenal. I was with a good mate who was an Arsenal fan who never missed a home match; I knew I was breaking the rules, wearing my colours. I must have been just about the only blue on the entire terrace! Although there were masses of blues at the scoreboard end. I've always been a bit mouthy at matches, must have wound this bloke up no end, I'd been doing it right through the match. As I say, breaking the most elementary rules. Friend immediately interceded, the bloke (who had had a fair few, to be honest) mouthed off at me, and we moved off in the crowd. At that point I thought I'd be well advised to take my scarf off and put it in my pocket! Oh yeah — we got smashed 3-0.
I was in the Kippax for the '75 league Cup Derby (the game when the king was crocked by Buchan). There seemed to be no segregation that night. Or if there was, it failed badly. It was kicking off in pockets all over that stand. Not a pleasant experience for a 12 year old.

Chelsea on a Friday night towards the end of 83/84 season. It was a live TV game and they were heading for promotion, their nutters were all over the place, it even kicked off in the Main Stand.
It kicked off in Picadilly gardens around 5pm ish too

How much better was football in those days.
Cost fuck all to get in.
Stood up.
Had a right laugh.
No politically correct twat jumping down every neck if they said anything.
And normal people went to the game not twts with a camera and a half and half scalf
The whole day and matchday experience was streets ahead of today's sanitised product

The whole day and matchday experience was streets ahead of today's sanitised product
Yep I'm going tomorrow. I go every home game mainly cos I always have and I go with me old chap.
But it really gets on my tits sometimes now.
When i was young on the kippax it was amazing the buzz was unreal.
i honestly thought it was the best place on earth.
i cant imagine a young lad been blown away tomorrow like i used to be

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.