Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I remember Pete and Anita was down that way from 1990 for about 3 years,went with the branch few home and away games.
Pete’s 85 now, can’t get to games but still gets to happy hour 5 times a week :) Anita is 84 still has a season ticket! Travels up from Rugby every home game. Legendary Blues both Manchester born!

I remember that rags/rangers pre season. One of my best friends was a red (He became a main player) and told me some stories
Rangers took over most of the ground that day. I knew a few lads that went who said it was really dodgy and that the Rangers fans were mad. Apparently town was full of them and rumours were going round that they were still there the following week. Probably just a practice run for 2008.

Pete’s 85 now, can’t get to games but still gets to happy hour 5 times a week :) Anita is 84 still has a season ticket! Travels up from Rugby every home game. Legendary Blues both Manchester born!
Anita Britton is an absolute City legend.She worked so hard to ensure that branch was properly run.She sorted all the tickets and travel arrangememts.And she could talk.A Great woman..Frank Horrocks wrote to me personally from Manchester based supporters club,I still have his letter on Club headed paper to this day,giving me the contact number .my life changed.i had other people to talk to about City!!
In common with other branches at the time,we used to play Supporters club matches against our oppentents before games.I was so proud pulling on the jersey and running out to play left midfield for City!
My Peter Barnes obsession had gone up another level.
Wow!

Count yourself lucky that it weren't Goodison or across the park that you chose to be naive at n on ya todd !
was with the supporters branch on a coach for my first trip to Goodison
Got bricked as soon as coach swung right off the motorway into Liverpool.i can still remember Anita Britton ordering everyone on the bus to " Get down !!" We all ducked in our seats and sure enough the brick was there though the coach sky line window,glass everywhere...
Lost 2nil.we were out classed,in front of a vociferous 50k home crowd.
Everton at the time were one of the most powerful clubs in Europe and top four of the old First Division....City had a team of young raw home grown talent,which we were proud of,together with a few older heads..mid table in the 2nd division.we had done well
That season was brilliant watching City progress to the quarter finals of both domestic cups and our away support was mental.Loud and Proud.

I travelled with the Leicester & Rugby branch from 79 to 83.
Pete, Anita and Dave Kelly driving the coach.
The coach got bricked every time we played Everton or Liverpool and 3 windows went through after the Boxing day win at Anfield 1981. That was a long cold trip back down the M6 with 3 windows out!
Good to hear Pete is still around and Anita is still going. An Abbey Hey lass if I recall correctly.

Anita Britton is an absolute City legend.She worked so hard to ensure that branch was properly run.She sorted all the tickets and travel arrangememts.And she could talk.A Great woman..Frank Horrocks wrote to me personally from Manchester based supporters club,I still have his letter on Club headed paper to this day,giving me the contact number .my life changed.i had other people to talk to about City!!
In common with other branches at the time,we used to play Supporters club matches against our oppentents before games.I was so proud pulling on the jersey and running out to play left midfield for City!
My Peter Barnes obsession had gone up another level.
Wow!
You sound like PW :-)

I travelled with the Leicester & Rugby branch from 79 to 83.
Pete, Anita and Dave Kelly driving the coach.
The coach got bricked every time we played Everton or Liverpool and 3 windows went through after the Boxing day win at Anfield 1981. That was a long cold trip back down the M6 with 3 windows out!
Good to hear Pete is still around and Anita is still going. An Abbey Hey lass if I recall correctly.
Abbey Hey Prince of Wales pub for me mid 70s,Chesters mild.

In the mid 70s Rangers played United in a friendly, Rangers took OT over. Docherty Uniteds managed always went to great lengths not to criticise Uniteds hooligan followers, that day he was going.mad saying Rangers must never come back,GMP agreed with him. We had been playing in Yorkshire I think, we were used to rags ambushing us in town on are way back from aways. That night we were drinking in town with the Bears any rags who appeared got battered. They were traumatised afterwards being used to doing what they liked, the reputation of their boys never recovered. Went to a pre season friendly at Ibrox a year or two later was very apprehensive but had a great day the Bears treating us like brothers. They seem more friendly with Chelsea these days but back in the 70s they were mates with City.
The Rangers pubs and supporters clubs opened their doors to City fans when we played Celtic in the CL a few years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.