Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

We drew Luton away in the League Cup during that period of no away fans. But they were obliged to allow away fans in the cup. That was a dodgy night, ending up in Dunstable nick as Luton cells were already full.

Probably the night David Oldfield scored a couple. And as we did in those days we went straight out and bought him. Only to discover, like Jon Mackem and countless others, they play like that about once every three years.

Yes mate, some top lads bitd at Chesterfield
Knew a city fan about 35 yrs ago from Heywood who used to go game with us all, then he moved down to Chesterfield.
Top kid Tommo if i remember rightly.
He came up from Chesterfield one day and into my local to give me a quid back i'd given him to help with his train fare for an away game once before.
I said "are you mad" and bought him a pint

Please tell me you can remember a City fan in a beer garden up there who used to sing city songs in an operatic voice.
We nick named him Pavarotti. He had ginger hair.
I might be thinking of a later year than you.
This was in the 90s
I don’t recall that mate. I’ve been a few times to Grimsby and was at the game in the 90s (2-2?). Our lot (Chadderton) were in Cleethorpes.

The most bother i had was when we took the train to home games , Piccadilly after the match was fun , running the gauntlet from away fans using the same station , Leeds by far the worse , had a few rucks with those neandethals.

There was a few Rangers ‘ICF’ with City in 2002; when City absolutely destroyed utd at the Science Park.
In the mid 70s Rangers played United in a friendly, Rangers took OT over. Docherty Uniteds managed always went to great lengths not to criticise Uniteds hooligan followers, that day he was going.mad saying Rangers must never come back,GMP agreed with him. We had been playing in Yorkshire I think, we were used to rags ambushing us in town on are way back from aways. That night we were drinking in town with the Bears any rags who appeared got battered. They were traumatised afterwards being used to doing what they liked, the reputation of their boys never recovered. Went to a pre season friendly at Ibrox a year or two later was very apprehensive but had a great day the Bears treating us like brothers. They seem more friendly with Chelsea these days but back in the 70s they were mates with City.

I don’t recall that mate. I’ve been a few times to Grimsby and was at the game in the 90s (2-2?). Our lot (Chadderton) were in Cleethorpes.
Yeah i knew we drew the game but pretty pissed.
Can't remember the name of the pub we took over either but i remember Pavarotti, pity is no one else can.
Rifle Range was a stop off a few times over your way for us Heywood blues back then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.