Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I went that game on a coach from the main city supporters branch was quite a few mad city fans on my coach ! A couple of jock city fans as well I was about 16 but had a good laugh! Then we got off the coaches at Stanley park then all hell broke loose it was mental ! Coaches getting bricked fights every where! My mate got lost and ended up near the Everton end and they gave him a slap ! He was only 16 and on is own that’s dirty scouse twats for you! Yes they had a great team then never forget the noise that night !
Yeah it was noisy.we all had seats in their end,the top tier of the big stand to the left of the away end...seats very high and very steep,made me giddy all match as not good with heights!

Paul Lake played centre forward with Stewart I think as Varadi not fully fit.Stewart and Varadi had a good strike partnership at the time and Evertons tough defence was a step too far for Lake who had helped get us to the quarter final with superb displays from centre mid at home to both Watford and Forest,both top tier teams at the time .

I went to the Scottish cup final in 1979 at Hampden. I was in the queue for the train back to Glasgow Central from Hampden and they heard my accent. I was a City fan come to see the Gers. They loved it and looked after me big time.

The train back to Preston was rammed with Rangers (we had to change to get to Victoria)
Utd had been playing at Wembley and lost to Arsenal I think.

Load of Lancs/Preston reds got off at the same time as us. I've never seen reds leg it as fast.

Rangers didn't like Utd fans back then.
I went to three finals, 1978, 1979 and 1980, the latter being Rangers v Celtic, that was one hell of a day, there was a pitch invasion at the end of the game, all hell let loose, those were the days.

In the 70’s , Rangers fans tended to follow both City and Liverpool, however Chelsea became popular in the 80’s which was mainly down to the casual craze of the time.
Nowadays it’s hard to say which clubs are most popular but among the Rangers fanbase it’s no longer Liverpool and never has been Man United.
That game in 74 at Old Trafford was on a day both clubs had been knocked out of their respective cup competitions and therefore had a free weekend. Didn’t really seem like a good idea at the time and so it proved. As well as the street disorder there was people fighting on the pitch and at one point , a large number of Rangers got into the Stretford End. It was big news up here at the time but I guess football was a bit like that back in the day though this was a bit worse than usual.
seem to remember posters being sold outside Hampden in 1979.....liverpool one side Rangers the other.

Pissed me off. I tried to educate as many as I could.

seem to remember posters being sold outside Hampden in 1979.....liverpool one side Rangers the other.

Pissed me off. I tried to educate as many as I could.
I don't remember any Liverpool stuff, but what i do remember in the Rangers end at Hampden, they were selling records of God save the Queen, also empty Whisky bottles when empty being thrown onto the running track, unfortunately some would hit their own fans at the front, so the trick was always to stand towards the back. We were always welcomed and given plenty of Whisky. We went on the Rangers special from Victoria, changing at Preston, when we got to Glasgow we would go into the center for a few, then get the train up to Mount Florida, good old days.

I don't remember any Liverpool stuff, but what i do remember in the Rangers end at Hampden, they were selling records of God save the Queen, also empty Whisky bottles when empty being thrown onto the running track, unfortunately some would hit their own fans at the front, so the trick was always to stand towards the back. We were always welcomed and given plenty of Whisky. We went on the Rangers special from Victoria, changing at Preston, when we got to Glasgow we would go into the center for a few, then get the train up to Mount Florida, good old days.
Carry outs ha...chucking pomagne bottles in the air ...mad cunts

One of the maddest aways I've ever had.....I tried to replicate as much as I could with our lot at City aways after.

I got that drunk on the train to Glasgow on McEwans export I was seeing double and the buses were on strike due to Celtic slashing a bus conductor the week before.

They were trying to stand me up against the terrace barriers as police would turf you out for being drunk.

Last edited:
Lessons obviously weren't learned cos Rangers played Villa in a friendly at Villa Park in the mid/late 70's again due to a free weekend in the calendar due to cup knockouts.
Thousands upon thousands of Gers fans paid in (probably many from Corby). Villa scored & the Rangers fans in the Witton End went straight across the pitch into the Holte End & chased the Villa fans out. Game abandoned & I think the last time Rangers played in England for many years.

Yeah, killed to death.

One stand out game for me for carnage was Oldham away on Good Friday in the early/mid eighties.
Some pick pocket got proper battered on the corner terrace we were on.

The ladder going up in the stand opposite from the terrace up to the seats, those seats which were torn up and hurled at the dibble, think a female copper got ko'd from one. The huge ruck that went off in the Oldham end when they socred first (game ended 2-2, Kenny Clements was playing for them).

Oldham fans and the town in general getting smashed to bits, bedlam that day was.
The sight of all those blues climbing the ladder to sit in the stand was one of the funniest things l think l have ever seen. Quite possibly on par with City fans dressed as police at Stoke on Boxing Day directing the traffic ,

Carry outs ha...chucking pomagne bottles in the air ...mad cunts

One of the maddest aways I've ever had.....I tried to replicate as much as I could with our lot at City aways after.

I got that drunk on the train to Glasgow on McEwans export I was seeing double and the buses were on strike due to Celtic slashing a bus conductor the week before.

They were trying to stand me up against the terrace barriers as police would turf you out for being drunk.
In 89 I had my one and only experience of Buckfast, even typing it now makes me feel a bit sick, it was a red hot day and we ended up in a big fuck off park before the game, sat up on the hill watching mobs of both sides charging at each other and wading in, mobs were big anyway but I was seeing double, so it was chaos.
I would never touch that stuff again but it was the chosen tipple of the day for plenty of Glaswegians.

Watched the game from the side terracing, right at the segregation barrier, the hatred was on a level I'd not seen before, they were going at it constantly. Great experience though, I'd been to Ibrox a few times by then but mainly European games.

I got whacked on the head at the 1977 Scottish cup final. Had a huge lump on the forehead but luckily it didn’t smash and was relatively unscathed.
There was a riot at the Rangers end at the finish with bottles getting lobbed everywhere, mostly at the cops but not solely, alas for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.