Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Now I’m sober, I seem to think Forest were actually playing in an FA Cup match , which was why there were x4 sets of fans in the town that day. Scary stuff, and I still have the dog bite scar to show for it! In fact, that’s the Second police animal assault I’ve endured supporting us and in the same town. I got knocked out by a police horse charging fans behind the east stand of forest ground.
No you know why I’m not a vet……

Just out of boredom I checked out who Forest were playing that day and they were actually at Old Trafford in a league game, the same time as our game.

Just out of boredom I checked out who Forest were playing that day and they were actually at Old Trafford in a league game, the same time as our game.
Yes. Forest were at the swamp that day.

I had recently bought a second hand Triumph 1500 'N' reg. It was a nice car and I was pleased with it so offered to drive to the Notts County game. 4 of us went. I knew 2 of the lads well having been to loads of games with them, but I'd only met the other lad when the 4 of us went on the football special to Portsmouth a week or so earlier.

After the game we were stuck in traffic trying to get out of Nottingham. It was hot and everyone was fed up after the result. The lad I didn't know well was sat behind me and whilst we were in the queue of traffic, the other 2 start sniggering.

I'd no idea what was going on until the back door behind me opens and this lad gets out stark bollock naked (apart perhaps for his socks), jumps on the boot and then the roof with his City scarf tied round his balls. He then starts singing 'We love you City we do' whilst dancing on my roof.

Everyone found it hilarious (apart from me at the time). I got hold of some part of him and threw back into the car.

We stopped at Baslow on the way home for a drink as did many other Blues. The Forest fans in the coaches returning to Nottingham were greeted by the odd empty pint pot thrown at them as they drove past.

Fortunately, I had car seat covers on so I put the one from the back seat in the wash when I got home.

Smogs away in the mid 70s.

Individual City fans picked off going to their cars near the park
by a mob.

Before,during and particularly after the return at Main Road City had several mobs out who tore into the smogs and smashed them all over Maine Road,Moss Side and Town.

Cars and minibuses overturned and at least one coach set on fire.

Chief Con of Cleveland complained to Chief Con of Manchester that his men stood by and let it happen.

That was the real start of their trouble with us !!

It was planned and executed with absolute brutality !!

Always wondered if the Millwall beef I witnessed in the late 90s was some kind of revenge for earlier battles…

Of the 11 times we’ve played Millwall since the war, seven of them were in a three year period between ‘87 and ‘90. All of those games had their moments. The 1-0 Adcock game springs to mind. But from memory I don’t think any of them individually had huge incidents that weren’t common place at a lot of games of that era.

There was then a gap before the two games in the division 3 season and that’s when things really seemed to heat up. They turned up at least once when we were away at Charlton around that time. And there was talk that they had plans for the Gillingham, Wembley game, that never materialised.

Then they decided to have home fans only for the only two games since in ‘01/‘02.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.