Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

A Twitter thread recently started titled worst away ground ever visited. Nearly every Leeds fan on there said Maine Road, not one mentioning the rags. Must've been some proper battles between us two over the decades.

A Twitter thread recently started titled worst away ground ever visited. Nearly every Leeds fan on there said Maine Road, not one mentioning the rags. Must've been some proper battles between us two over the decades.

I remember during the very early days of segregation the cops were struggling to get it right in the Kippax , and what imitially masqueraded as the visiting section of the stand was actually far from secure ..... i was stood right next to the visiting section one Saturday afternoon when around fifty Leeds fans showed up and entered their section.. .. they walked up the kippax steps to join up with a load of lads already in the visitors section who were shouting 'Leeds, Leeds, Leeds' , only to find that they were in fact City fans (with no colours on) , who promptly turned on them and started punching and kicking anyone in Leeds gear ... Leeds didn't hang around, they scarpered , and couldn't get out of the stand fast enough ... they jumped over the wall in the the kippax/platt lane corner and ran on the pitch to get out of the way of City fans who were fast on their tails

Just as Tottenham had done in another game at Maine Road!

Last edited:
Leeds was always a tasty affair both at Elland Rd and Maine rd. anyone remember a night game at St Andrews night game? Birmingham came on the pitch right at the end from all sides of the ground To City’s end big kick off outside with missiles launched from every angle

I remember during the very early days of segregation the cops were struggling to get it right in the Kippax , and what imitially masqueraded as the visiting section of the stand was actually far from secure ..... i was stood right next to the visiting section one Saturday afternoon when around fifty Leeds fans showed up and entered their section.. .. they walked up the kippax steps to join up with a load of lads already in the visitors section who were shouting 'Leeds, Leeds, Leeds' , only to find that they were in fact City fans (with no colours on) , who promptly turned on them and started punching and kicking anyone in Leeds gear ... Leeds didn't hang around, they scarpered , and couldn't get out of the stand fast enough ... they jumped over the wall in the the kippax/platt lane corner and ran on the pitch to get out of the way of City fans who were fast on their tails

Just as Tottenham had done in another game at Maine Road!
Birmingham fans claim they took the Kippax, I’ve explained it was the early days of segregation, they still claim to have taken the Kippax.

Leeds was always a tasty affair both at Elland Rd and Maine rd. anyone remember a night game at St Andrews night game? Birmingham came on the pitch right at the end from all sides of the ground To City’s end big kick off outside with missiles launched from every angle
Think the Birmingham game was a night game,both going for promotion City had a big following that night,Birmingham & Wolves were the trickiest Midlands grounds...

Think the Birmingham game was a night game,both going for promotion City had a big following that night,Birmingham & Wolves were the trickiest Midlands grounds...
Never any bother walking to Villa Park even with colours on. Birmingham City was a totally different ball game. Jeep jacket zipped up mouth shut and get in and out as quick as you can.. horrible

Anyone remember playing Leeds in, I think, the first season we were in division 2, 83-84 and they broke through from the Kippax corner into the Platt Lane right on half time. At that time plenty of City’s lads had started sitting in the Platt Lane too.

many years ago, went to derby away(baseball ground),(think it was the 6-0) me and my mate went down the night before for a walk about their town, a few drinks and we slept in my mates car :), anyway word got about that there was two mancs wondering around town, and before we knew it we were met in a pub by the D.L.F.(derby lunatic fringe) one of their main boys was a smallish mixed race bloke, looked hard as fuck, another was a Frankenstein looking older bloke must of been in his 40s,anyway after having a chat they could tell we weren't anything to do with city's firms and we got on quite well, they took us round the best pubs in derby and made sure there was no mither , they took us into their main pub and a few of the younger ones wanted to show us how hard they were but the older ones soon put them straight, after the night was done we wished them all the best, but the last words to us were, we seen you tomorrow at the game and all friendship is off, :) great night ,great set of lads, but quite scary ,wft were we thinking staying the night in derby, sleeping in a car :)

say what you want, but when it went off the atmosphere used to go up ten fold,i really enjoyed the 80s,90s used to go home and away and had some right laughs,back in the day the decision to go away was usually taken in the pub friday nigt,unless it was a must go to game, and usually we would have a transit van, no seats in the back:) and there would be quite a few of us, city united and liverpool fans would go

I’ve perused a few hooligan books in Airport Departure Lounges, and I’m probably not the only one who immediately searches for the incidents involving City

Birmingham reference the 82-83 goalless draw at Maine Road, which apparently provided the Zulu nickname (and it makes sense if you remember that the violence after their 2007-08 defeat at the ETIHAD was also their 25th anniversary, and the main reason why so many of their old “boys” were out in force that day)

Leeds cite an ambush after their 3-2 victory at Maine Road in November 1977 as their main motivation for the revenge attacks at the FA Cup the following January.

West Ham claim to thave thrown Daft Donald through a Wimpey window,(which sounds feasible), but all their books seem to admire City, especially WANT SOME AGGRO which chronicles the late 60s and early 70s

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.