Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I’ve perused a few hooligan books in Airport Departure Lounges, and I’m probably not the only one who immediately searches for the incidents involving City

Birmingham reference the 82-83 goalless draw at Maine Road, which apparently provided the Zulu nickname (and it makes sense if you remember that the violence after their 2007-08 defeat at the ETIHAD was also their 25th anniversary, and the main reason why so many of their old “boys” were out in force that day)

Leeds cite an ambush after their 3-2 victory at Maine Road in November 1977 as their main motivation for the revenge attacks at the FA Cup the following January.

West Ham claim to thave thrown Daft Donald through a Wimpey window,(which sounds feasible), but all their books seem to admire City, especially WANT SOME AGGRO which chronicles the late 60s and early 70s
I wonder if Daft Donald noticed?

many years ago, went to derby away(baseball ground),(think it was the 6-0) me and my mate went down the night before for a walk about their town, a few drinks and we slept in my mates car :), anyway word got about that there was two mancs wondering around town, and before we knew it we were met in a pub by the D.L.F.(derby lunatic fringe) one of their main boys was a smallish mixed race bloke, looked hard as fuck, another was a Frankenstein looking older bloke must of been in his 40s,anyway after having a chat they could tell we weren't anything to do with city's firms and we got on quite well, they took us round the best pubs in derby and made sure there was no mither , they took us into their main pub and a few of the younger ones wanted to show us how hard they were but the older ones soon put them straight, after the night was done we wished them all the best, but the last words to us were, we seen you tomorrow at the game and all friendship is off, :) great night ,great set of lads, but quite scary ,wft were we thinking staying the night in derby, sleeping in a car :)
Good story that..

Was at the 6 0 as well.. their fans were definitely out in numbers before the match trying to rush us at the away turnstiles

Was that the game after the 5 1 v Utd?

Birmingham fans claim they took the Kippax, I’ve explained it was the early days of segregation, they still claim to have taken the Kippax.
Birmingham were in the Kippax in large numbers first game of the season pre segregation in 1973?game where Denis Law made his second debut for us in a 3-1 win. Similar numbers to Sunderland in Cup previous year I would guess.

Birmingham fans claim they took the Kippax, I’ve explained it was the early days of segregation, they still claim to have taken the Kippax.
No they didn’t. This is the story. 1st game of the season 1973-74 (D Law 2nd debut) they got in the Kippax about 1:30, unopposed as it was so early. They were in the top left (City part). I was 14 then and always in by 1:30. I stood in the usual spot but unaware of who was around me at first. I soon moved! The Brum fans were there until just before half time, loads of trouble, City eventually shifted them. I got arrested for foul language and subsequently fined £20. (£1/week). City won 3-1

Leeds was always a tasty affair both at Elland Rd and Maine rd. anyone remember a night game at St Andrews night game? Birmingham came on the pitch right at the end from all sides of the ground To City’s end big kick off outside with missiles launched from every angle
Think the Birmingham game was mid 80's. Remember being in the ground just before kick off and the Zulus were outside wondering why they couldn't get at us. Probably because they had been smacked all around the place prior to kick off and they were now acting like big time charlies save in the knowledge we were all inside. Carnage afterwards though behind the stand which was just wasteland.

Good story that..

Was at the 6 0 as well.. their fans were definitely out in numbers before the match trying to rush us at the away turnstiles

Was that the game after the 5 1 v Utd?
ive no idea,my memory is really shit, i cant even remember john bond as our manager, and i was at the 81 cup final :), i was at the colin bell comeback, cant remember that :)

The only problems I remember in the 70's were the police, they acted like they hated us. Times have moved on since then.

The old saying of "Treat people like animals and they will act like animals" holds true. Not saying there weren't moments but match going police were a bit heavy handed to say the least.

Anyone remember playing Leeds in, I think, the first season we were in division 2, 83-84 and they broke through from the Kippax corner into the Platt Lane right on half time. At that time plenty of City’s lads had started sitting in the Platt Lane too.
Think this was on New years day?
They wrecked the Shady Lady on Oxford rd before the game I think...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.