Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I must admit the old stirrings to kick fuck out of anything rag resurfaced yesterday while watching it on TV in spite of the apathetic showing. I think it was when rat face did his usual dive and rolled around screaming like he'd been cut down by machine gun fire in the battle of the Somme. I jumped up in a foaming rage hurling obscenities, kicks and punches raining down on an imaginary foe, until ten seconds later, exhausted, I had to admit defeat, but not before a wayward punch caught my own jaw and rendered me unconscious. When I came to the game was still crap lol.

Not read all the posts but tottenham 1993 fa cup took some beating. Spent 30 years of my life watching city at Maine Rd but that was up there. Spurs were up for it big time. After the game City were up for it even more. City and Tottenham bang at it near the beehive. Wish mobile phones were around back in the day

If any younger City fans still haven't got an idea of what going to a match and football hooliganism was really like in the 70's, 80's and 90's, these graphic, and to an extent fantastic pictures, tell the real story.

Not been through all the pages of pictures. No seen any pictures of Maine Road. Page 5. Pictures of it kicking off in Manchester showing the old orange, brown and white Manchester buses. Pictures of it kicking off inside Boundary Park(Latics Lottery). Loads of great fashion/clobber pictures, etc.

This picture below sums up what football was like then. All young lads. As well as older men. There were hardly any women or families who went to the matches. Football was run by the Hooligans. That was until Thatcher and the Police crackdown after the trouble before, during, and after the Luton v Millwall game. The Government and the authorities had finally had enough of the English disease.

You can see from the pictures why hooliganism was know as the *English Disease*. And why English Hooligans were feared across Europe.'

From the 1960s onwards, the UK had a reputation worldwide for football hooliganism was often dubbed the English Disease. Since the 1980s and well into the 1990s the UK government has led a widescale crackdown on football related violence. While football hooliganism has been a growing concern in some other European countries in recent years, British football fans now tend to have a better reputation abroad. Although reports of British football hooliganism still surface, the instances now tend to occur at pre-arranged locations rather than at the matches themselves. Here we look at the internets finest collection of old school football hooligan pictures from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Photos Copyright of their respective owners.

View attachment 6368

Great pics but it's not Boundary Park, those are pics from Springfield Park, (Wigan's old ground).

I would just like to say that the people who were caught up in Football Violence years ago owe a debt to the people who stood there and allowed you to get back on you Coaches and trains without a Scratch and then called them Thugs. Do one.
Yes I was very grateful at times for our 'thugs', people have short memories or were never there.

It'd be horrendous to go back to those days but, being a lover not a fighter it was fucking exciting going to games then.

Yes I was very grateful at times for our 'thugs', people have short memories or were never there.

It'd be horrendous to go back to those days but, being a lover not a fighter it was fucking exciting going to games then.
It was exciting indeed. And rival gangs game enough to go into battle I think was ok. I think back now and am glad I only got involved when I had to go to to toe or run. There was a lot of drunken bravado about, especially in the early days. Some scumbag thugs would pick on innocent fans wearing team colours. Kids lads and dad's, pensioners, even women weren't spared. It wasn't a common sight but it still happend on occasion, sadly.

Some hooligans knew they had the protection of the gang and safety in numbers. Get them on their own and they be crying for their mother. I've seen it, even had a go at one or two of the so called hard lads. Quite a few rags weren't so hard and brave one to one on non match days. lol.

Worst thing I saw was at Oldham v Fulham game late 70s with my dad, I'd be 12 or 13. A Fulham fan in a wheelchair was queuing up to the Mainstand and about 6 or 7 Oldham fans ran up and tipped him over. They all took it in turn to give him a kick then ran off to the Chaddy end. It was a cowardly and sickening sight that mentally scarred me on how football thugs can sometimes be so fuckin' cruel. Put me right off wanting to go looking for trouble when I got older, I've never been that type anyway. I preferred the beer and the banter of dealing with getting beat regularly. I'm just so glad hooliganism is no longer rife like it once was, or anywhere near as nasty.

It was exciting indeed. And rival gangs game enough to go into battle I think was ok. I think back now and am glad I only got involved when I had to go to to toe or run. There was a lot of drunken bravado about, especially in the early days. Some scumbag thugs would pick on innocent fans wearing team colours. Kids lads and dad's, pensioners, even women weren't spared. It wasn't a common sight but it still happend on occasion, sadly.

Some hooligans knew they had the protection of the gang and safety in numbers. Get them on their own and they be crying for their mother. I've seen it, even had a go at one or two of the so called hard lads. Quite a few rags weren't so hard and brave one to one on non match days. lol.

Worst thing I saw was at Oldham v Fulham game late 70s with my dad, I'd be 12 or 13. A Fulham fan in a wheelchair was queuing up to the Mainstand and about 6 or 7 Oldham fans ran up and tipped him over. They all took it in turn to give him a kick then ran off to the Chaddy end. It was a cowardly and sickening sight that mentally scarred me on how football thugs can sometimes be so fuckin' cruel. Put me right off wanting to go looking for trouble when I got older, I've never been that type anyway. I preferred the beer and the banter of dealing with getting beat regularly. I'm just so glad hooliganism is no longer rife like it once was, or anywhere near as nasty.
Worst I saw was also Oldham the 2-2 draw where we had control of the ground for about 30 mins but been loads more lesser events, actual fighting was probably Spurs when I was a kid sat in the wall at the back Kippax/North Stand corner watching waves of fans charge eachother and cop horses everywhere must have been 75ish.

Worst I saw was also Oldham the 2-2 draw where we had control of the ground for about 30 mins but been loads more lesser events, actual fighting was probably Spurs when I was a kid sat in the wall at the back Kippax/North Stand corner watching waves of fans charge eachother and cop horses everywhere must have been 75ish.
Oldham had a lot of nutters for the size of their firm, handy lads too. We've had a few run ins over the years with them. Was that game that ladder incident mate? My mind is getting cloudy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.