Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Oldham had a lot of nutters for the size of their firm, handy lads too. We've had a few run ins over the years with them. Was that game that ladder incident mate? My mind is getting cloudy.
Yeah that's the one I was taking about.

Oldham did have some handy lads even in the mid 80's when I moved up there from leafy Ashton.

They were never to my knowledge handy enough to have a pop at the Chaddy Arms tho which was just round the corner from Boundary Park.

Oldham did have some handy lads even in the mid 80's when I moved up there from leafy Ashton.

They were never to my knowledge handy enough to have a pop at the Chaddy Arms tho which was just round the corner from Boundary Park.
me and gaz crooks was at that game with other mates
we couldn't believe what went on,scrapping all over the ground and then when that ladder appeared and city fans starting going up it and taking that higher level stand along the side of the pitch,unbelievable
we had to walk all the way back to ashton i remember ,no buses or they were all full

Last edited:

While I was only ever interested In footy and drinking a near relative of mine was involved with the young governors. He told me Hibs firm the CCS crew for some reason hated City and on a couple of occasions joined up with Oldham at Maine Road. Sounded unlikely has anyone else heard this.

While I was only ever interested In footy and drinking a near relative of mine was involved with the young governors. He told me Hibs firm the CCS crew for some reason hated City and on a couple of occasions joined up with Oldham at Maine Road. Sounded unlikely has anyone else heard this.

Oldham and Hibs have had a long standing friendship that still goes on today.

I remember the FYC legging it out of the back of Henry's Bar when we turned up a couple of hours after the game up there in about 98

I haven’t heard of much animosity towards City from CCS other than going along with the Oldham firm following a preseason match in 1988. Their real hatred is towards Millwall. This stems from a preseason match in 1990 with a very nasty conflict in New Cross.

The CCS and their predecessors had a history with Rangers. A friend told me of an incident at Ibrox before the ground was rebuilt. There were high terraces with steep rickerty staircases that saw two major incidents involving loss of life. This time the match was drawing to close when Hibs scored to take the lead. He was at the top of the terrace and saw a large group of Rangers fans heading towards the end housing the Hibs support to confront them. He was fearing the worst when a much smaller group of Hibs casuals emerged leaving the Rangers mob to scatter in all directions.

There was an incident in the 1990s. I had been at a match against Rangers with three children and when we arrived home had a phone call from my mother who had seen a news report of major fighting we saw nothing. It turned that the fighting was nowhere near Easter Road but at the other side of the city near Chesser. This was the place where fans’ coaches were parked for Hearts home matches. Obviously Hearts were away that weekend so there was no police presence. It was a organised for that area knowing that Easter Road would be swarming with police.

The CCS were probably the most violent firm in Scotland along with the Aberdeen ASC.

There was also some sort of Hibs connection with the rags iirc, Scottish James as he was imaginatively known, fairly sure he was Hibs.

I haven’t heard of much animosity towards City from CCS other than going along with the Oldham firm following a preseason match in 1988. Their real hatred is towards Millwall. This stems from a preseason match in 1990 with a very nasty conflict in New Cross.

The CCS and their predecessors had a history with Rangers. A friend told me of an incident at Ibrox before the ground was rebuilt. There were high terraces with steep rickerty staircases that saw two major incidents involving loss of life. This time the match was drawing to close when Hibs scored to take the lead. He was at the top of the terrace and saw a large group of Rangers fans heading towards the end housing the Hibs support to confront them. He was fearing the worst when a much smaller group of Hibs casuals emerged leaving the Rangers mob to scatter in all directions.

There was an incident in the 1990s. I had been at a match against Rangers with three children and when we arrived home had a phone call from my mother who had seen a news report of major fighting we saw nothing. It turned that the fighting was nowhere near Easter Road but at the other side of the city near Chesser. This was the place where fans’ coaches were parked for Hearts home matches. Obviously Hearts were away that weekend so there was no police presence. It was a organised for that area knowing that Easter Road would be swarming with police.

The CCS were probably the most violent firm in Scotland along with the Aberdeen ASC.
Thanks for that. In Scotland favour the Jambos for no better reason than I love Edinburgh and they seem to respect City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.