Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Oldham had a lot of nutters for the size of their firm, handy lads too. We've had a few run ins over the years with them. Was that game that ladder incident mate? My mind is getting cloudy.
They did mate for size of the town they had some rum lads , think they emptied Leeds once before an England away game either on the flight or at the airport? Same as you pal memories fade with age...

I remember Oldham at Maine Rd 89/90 ish and there was no sign of them in Town after the game so a bus full of us decided to go and find them in Oldham on the 82.
A few stops from Oldham their lot were waiting at the bus stop so we all ducked down until the bus pulled up and then the roar went up!
Fuck me they didn’t know what hit them and soon disappeared.
Most of City got back on the bus but a few of us were left stranded and then the cunts reappear and chased us all over some estate!
I was glad to get back to Town in one piece tbh!

They did mate for size of the town they had some rum lads , think they emptied Leeds once before an England away game either on the flight or at the airport? Same as you pal memories fade with age...
I don't know that tale pal but I knew about a dozen rum Oldham lads at the time still do. And their main guy is called Carl Spiers who wrote a book. I haven't read it because some hoolies are glorifying violence and bigging themselves with tales to sell books and I'm not interested in reading anymore. I never knew Carl but I think I know who he was and vaguely remember him. Anyway, I used to go to a few Latics games mid 70s to early 80s and one lad off our estate was a slim fair haired lad about 5-10," looked like he was easy pickings to rival hoolies. He had such agility and speed he used to spring from the back and pile straight in. He was the quietest and had no fear. I don't think a lot realise just what went on back then. Millwall's notorious F-troop and co went back to London with a few cuts and bruises to say the least when it used to blow. Rum lads indeed.

I don't know that tale pal but I knew about a dozen rum Oldham lads at the time still do. And their main guy is called Carl Spiers who wrote a book. I haven't read it because some hoolies are glorifying violence and bigging themselves with tales to sell books and I'm not interested in reading anymore. I never knew Carl but I think I know who he was and vaguely remember him. Anyway, I used to go to a few Latics games mid 70s to early 80s and one lad off our estate was a slim fair haired lad about 5-10," looked like he was easy pickings to rival hoolies. He had such agility and speed he used to spring from the back and pile straight in. He was the quietest and had no fear. I don't think a lot realise just what went on back then. Millwall's notorious F-troop and co went back to London with a few cuts and bruises to say the least when it used to blow. Rum lads indeed.
Yes mate it’s bringing back memories of my time in working around that area , my company bought another company out in royton ( bee mill) had to go there to over see a few things and got to know three or four of their lads and soon built up a picture of them , but too be fair never did me no harm .
but could tell they were up for it. Also it was perfectly clear they hated city with a passion.

Yes mate it’s bringing back memories of my time in working around that area , my company bought another company out in royton ( bee mill) had to go there to over see a few things and got to know three or four of their lads and soon built up a picture of them , but too be fair never did me no harm .
but could tell they were up for it. Also it was perfectly clear they hated city with a passion.
They hated us but gave a good account of themselves as a much smaller firm. Against firms of similar size it was like Beirut. Burnley used to always blow on the gravel car park behind Rochdale Road end, especially after the game. I've seen a riot van turned over and set on fire, guns knives fireworks flares. It happened quite a few grounds smaller club ground but like I say hey not many people who didn't know would believe Oldham could be so volatile and dodgy. I've previously mentioned on another thread a while ago of being in the Chaddy end with my dad. A guy who appeared to be in his early to mid 20s pulled a sawn-off shotgun out from under his donkey jacket, cocked it and casually rested in his arm aiming at the Rochdale Road end where the Millwall fans were. Somebody shouted "he's got a gun". Fortunately a couple of coppers come from the back and managed to grab the gun and wrenched out of his hand to frog march him out in cuffs. This was net by one of their chants, "zigger zagger zigger zagger athletic. 1234 listen to the chaddy roar(clap clap clap clap clap, clap clap clap clap Oldham!"). It was wild that day, electric atmosphere. And as a young lad I was shitting it walking back to the car up Sheepfoot Lane.

My dad was always a blue from a boy but my mum was born in Oldham and they lived there for years so I went to both City and Oldham games home and away. Depended on the game. They were my second team but I was always mithering him to take me to City instead.

Dad's other passion was rugby league and he would take me to the watersheddings off Ripponden Road to see Oldham RLFC. I think that stadium was the highest above sea level before it was demolished around 97. it used to be freezing cold there when we had proper cold winters, and those rugby league lads was hard as nails. It never used to kick off much, the odd skirmish or two now and then... "See this son, proper game this no play acting here, and they don't use padding like those American rugby players!". He was right. The game was Saint Helens in the challenge cup. they went into it scrum and one saints player came out holding about half a dozen teeth in his hand and broken nose to walk off the pitch to get patched up. More violence on the pitch than off it! I couldn't understand the rules back then and I was more interested in a meat pie and cup of Bovril when shivering my young tits off off on a cold January Wednesday night. Fond memories: )

Last edited:
I know Carl very well, still see him. Was at World Cup 82 with him. Reformed character nowadays

Not read all the posts but tottenham 1993 fa cup took some beating. Spent 30 years of my life watching city at Maine Rd but that was up there. Spurs were up for it big time. After the game City were up for it even more. City and Tottenham bang at it near the beehive. Wish mobile phones were around back in the day

A poisonous atmosphere that day, rumours of Spurs stabbing two City before the game didn't help. First time I had ever gone in the Main stand and I still ended up on the Kippax at full time.

what a load of garbage, trying to glorify violence.
THe throwing of bananas was great as well was it?
These times have gone, best to let go

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.