Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

what a load of garbage, trying to glorify violence.
THe throwing of bananas was great as well was it?
These times have gone, best to let go
Very proud of the fact that I have never seen bananas thrown , racist chants, or the booing of black players at City., Not likely to have happened as in those days many of our main boys were black or mixed race. I remember a televised game at the swamp when Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham were booed and racially abused for 90 mins, however in any discussion of racism at the time this was conveniently forgotten. You would see graffiti in Manchester in the seventies showing M U NF C. But you'd never get anyone these days to admit the rags had a problem with racism.

what a load of garbage, trying to glorify violence.
THe throwing of bananas was great as well was it?
These times have gone, best to let go
In those days City (and United) were on the opposite political side to the racist NF clubs like Leeds and Chelsea. In the 70s a lot of City's hard-core away support were black. I have never seen bananas thrown (apart from the plastic ones). In fact racist abuse at Maine Road was very rare and usually confined to individual loudmouths who were often called out for it. Both Manchester clubs have a pretty good record in racial tolerance, certainly compared to those at the other end of the M62.

In those days City (and United) were on the opposite political side to the racist NF clubs like Leeds and Chelsea. In the 70s a lot of City's hard-core away support were black. I have never seen bananas thrown (apart from the plastic ones). In fact racist abuse at Maine Road was very rare and usually confined to individual loudmouths who were often called out for it. Both Manchester clubs have a pretty good record in racial tolerance, certainly compared to those at the other end of the M62.
Good post.

City also had several black players I remember watching. Alex Williams Clive Wilson Dave Bennett and Roger Palmer. All born in Manchester locally to Maine Road. I think Wilson was probably a better LB than any we have now. And Roger Palmer was a very good player, used to score some cracking goals. Spent his best years at Oldham though.

Sorry mate, City had a NF hardcore mob, twice I witnessed there stupidity, once away at Everton when MW (rip) and his mates / lads were told they were not wanted, we don’t want any N’s with us they were told. The second occasion was in bottom Yates when MW (rip) stood on a stool and asked for unity, a glass was thrown at him and it kicked off. The NF faction were no more than posturing gobshites, but they existed. They still hang around together to this day in CB level 3. The bananas had nothing to do with them or racism.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, City had a NF hard core mob, twice I witnessed there stupidity, once away at Everton when MW (rip) and his mates / lads were told they were not wanted, we don’t want any N’s with us they were told. The second occasion was in bottom Yates when MW (rip) stood on a stool and asked for unity, a glass was thrown at him and it kicked off. The NF faction were no more than posturing gobshites, but they existed. They still hang around together to this day in CB level 3. The bananas had nothing to do with them or racism.
Can only say I found the Cool Cats a reasuring presence at away games in the late seventies. Other clubs firms thought long and hard before prevoking them.

Sorry mate, City had a NF hardcore mob, twice I witnessed there stupidity, once away at Everton when MW (rip) and his mates / lads were told they were not wanted, we don’t want any N’s with us they were told. The second occasion was in bottom Yates when MW (rip) stood on a stool and asked for unity, a glass was thrown at him and it kicked off. The NF faction were no more than posturing gobshites, but they existed. They still hang around together to this day in CB level 3. The bananas had nothing to do with them or racism.
I am aware of them but it was always a very small group. The NF tried hard to get into City and United but never made serious inroads. I was born and bred in Withington, schooled in Rusholme, then lived in Whalley Range/Moss Side as a student. These parts of South Manchester were City strongholds and our fanbase in those days was very racially mixed.That was also the case with United to a lesser extent. I accept that some areas of Gtr Manchester don't have the same sort of history.

Was the Neverton game early to mid 80's? Remember it kicking off behind the nets in our end but memory a little hazy

Was the Neverton game early to mid 80's? Remember it kicking off behind the nets in our end but memory a little hazy
Yes mate it was, don't worry I have trouble remembering, it was one of the biggest City mobs I ever saw mate and they kicked off everywhere they could. They came charging out of Lime Street and were rounded up and held in Lime Street and then asked if they would behave if released, I couldn't believe my ears mate,they stormed into pubs and then the split happened.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.