Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

That Bradford game was an embarrassment, no doubt about it, but it was very close to kicking off between Blues on the lower tier behind the goal because of that chant. From memory only the stewards/cops removing a couple of the ringleaders cooled it down. Generally though, I don't recall any concerted racist chants from City fans home or away during the 70s and 80s when it was widespread elsewhere. You'd hear the odd individual comment but despite the leafletting the NF didn't get that much of a hold at City in those days.

I've been going since 1968 and hardly remember any racist incidents except the odd shout or comment from individuals. There was one big fat obnoxious bloke who sat in the south stand and everytime a black player was injured used to shout, "Throw a burning tyre on him." He got a fair few looks and the odd comment and just kind of disappeared, I presume he got banned.

Who were the hundreds or thousands of city fans singing 'town full of pakis' at the likes of Preston or Bradford then if we never had a racist element? NF used to sell papers on forecourt between North and Maine stand. We did have a problem with racism though admittedly not as much as the likes of Leeds, Birmingham, Chelsea etc
Only heard that song once at Luton away. It was sung by a small minority of City fans and they were shouted down. Never heard it at Preston or Bradford from City fans. We had a bigger issue with the sectarian Rangers fans who tagged along to some away trips, especially London. It would be daft to day none of our fans were racists but to brand all 70s football fans as racists as the media has done is just not true. City fans were amongst the most integrated fanbases in England at the time.

In all the years I have supported our club, on the Kippax or at any ground we visited, I never saw any NF or real Racism within our ranks, and yes we were a real mix of idiots, and the lads who did travel knew one another, maybe not by name but by sight, and by gang from many areas of greater Manchester. If any NF or racists had turned up I don't believe they would have lasted very long, and I have seen many things, both at home and away, but certainly not that, and I started on the Kippax and Travelling in the early 70s, we would have never allowed it.
They were definitely in evidence around 78 onwards, never big numbers but always chipping away, a mate of mine started travelling to aways with them regularly because he bought into the stuff they spouted, he changed quite a bit over a few short months, NF got a grip on him for a while.

Only heard that song once at Luton away. It was sung by a small minority of City fans and they were shouted down. Never heard it at Preston or Bradford from City fans. We had a bigger issue with the sectarian Rangers fans who tagged along to some away trips, especially London. It would be daft to day none of our fans were racists but to brand all 70s football fans as racists as the media has done is just not true. City fans were amongst the most integrated fanbases in England at the time.
I can remember it being sung a couple of times at least, Leicester for one, I know I will have joined in myself as well, obviously now I realise how wrong it was but back then(early/mid 70s) my twisted logic would have seen it as an insult to the town in question, not the Asian inhabitants.

That chant as well as being offensive was absurd as we had a vast south Asian community only half a mile from Maine Rd. Living on the Fylde Coast was aware Blackpool would sing it to Preston who would respond with " Town full of benders" refering to Blackpool's large gay community.

In all the years I have supported our club, on the Kippax or at any ground we visited, I never saw any NF or real Racism within our ranks, and yes we were a real mix of idiots, and the lads who did travel knew one another, maybe not by name but by sight, and by gang from many areas of greater Manchester. If any NF or racists had turned up I don't believe they would have lasted very long, and I have seen many things, both at home and away, but certainly not that, and I started on the Kippax and Travelling in the early 70s, we would have never allowed it.
Totally agree mate,i went home and away through the 70/80 and 90s and apart from the odd dickhead,i saw very little,we were in Moss Side ffs.

Worst fans i saw were Leeds at Maine Road, not sure of the year, around mid 80s, can't remember the score, think we got beat pretty easily.
Alex Williams was in goal and in the 2nd half was at the Platt Lane End in front of 8,000 twats who within seconds of the restart had turned the penalty box yellow with bananas. Chants and laughter coming from them and i felt so sorry for our keeper that day, but also my hatred towards them intensified.

That chant as well as being offensive was absurd as we had a vast south Asian community only half a mile from Maine Rd. Living on the Fylde Coast was aware Blackpool would sing it to Preston who would respond with " Town full of benders" refering to Blackpool's large gay community.

Made me chuckle that mate, the essence of football rivalry encapsulated in what would have been about 60 seconds when it took place, but so, so wrong.

Remember the chants about Belsen the and hissing when we played Spurs In the early 80’s . Fucking shocking really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.