Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

When we were in the lower divisions our version was the offensive but accurate,"town full of M****h". Some idiots even turned up In rag shirts saw one at Huddersfield pay a heavy price.

I am pretty sure I was at the game. It was bad enough keeping looking out for the scousers without getting caught up with the in-fighting. Wasn't there a mob from Cheadle Hulme involved at the time, think they drank in what was then called The Junction, now platform 5?
They weren't involved in any incident with MW that night as everyone was split up & arrived at Lime Street on different service trains. Also travelled on Donald's coaches pretty regularly from outside Hurleys. Never any issues with DF, MF or CF although MW (rip) wasn't very keen. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Like many on here, I grew up on the Kippax, and I never saw any NF. Personally I don't think they would have survived. When going away we relied upon one another, as I have said before, we used to shout, Stick Together, as we exited away grounds.

Remember the chants about Belsen the and hissing when we played Spurs In the early 80’s . Fucking shocking really.
I was going to mention this but you beat me too it, that song was sung on a regular basis even when not playing them, disgusting chant but I was a young lad early 80's so didn't really understand at the time.

Like many on here, I grew up on the Kippax, and I never saw any NF. Personally I don't think they would have survived. When going away we relied upon one another, as I have said before, we used to shout, Stick Together, as we exited away grounds.
They were there mate, enough to fill their own coach for aways, I could name probably half a dozen of them and I wasn't one of them, they leafleted outside plenty of times and I saw DF and co wade into them on at least one occasion.
I suppose we all see different things on match days but I was very aware of the NF presence circa 78/9.

There was a definite split in City's mob in the late 70's with Cool Cats & NF not travelling together or mixing in the grounds. Shame as without the politics would have been an even stronger crew

There was a definite split in City's mob in the late 70's with Cool Cats & NF not travelling together or mixing in the grounds. Shame as without the politics would have been an even stronger crew.
Nothing to do with politics,people liked to go on service trains early , a lot of the coach firms tended to rob service stations which didn't appeal to some.

Nothing to do with politics,people liked to go on service trains early , a lot of the coach firms tended to rob service stations which didn't appeal to some.
Seen both on trains and both on coaches, transport choice wasn't the issue

Remember disembarking at Smallheath train station in the 80s for a game against Brum and distinctly recal songs of one Salman Rushdie being directed at the locals.

People now forget what happened at the time was normal. So 40 years, 30 years later, people can't say that wasn't normal. (unfortunately) It was how it was at the time. Not only at football matches, but across society in general

And let's be honest, Thatcher, the establishment, and (racist) Police were worse than the fans.

It was a free for all on Saturday afternoons, just as much for the Police as it was for the fans.

I witness loads of police charges, including horse charges, down Claremont Road after the matches, Police brutality, unwarranted arrests, etc.

Football fans in general were treated like shi* by the Police no matter where they went. Not only did they have to dodge and fight opposing fans, they had to do the same with the Police.

Thatcher was Prime Minister from 1979 to 1980. She facilitated and oversaw mass (youth) unemployment, deprivation, poverty, etc, which eventually culminating in the national riots, and national civil disobedience.

Crazy times!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.