Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Ah I remember with fond memories running the gauntlet at Piccadilly station then being handed a reasonable beating on Platt Fields by a city firm name the Cool Cats or something like that . You always knew where you stood with City . No pretenders . Class

City were outnumbered at the FMC Final, but it was the year after Heysel, and apart from City's aggressive reaction to a few Chelsea fans celebrating one of their goals in our end, I don't recall a ridiculous amount of trouble around the stadium.
That doesn't mean to say that nothing happened,(and there was certainly an unpleasant atmosphere), but it was nothing like the violence of the previous season, when it literally kicked off at every game in the top two divisions.
Went off royal outside.
Few of City's coaches smashed up as well.
And you don't see too many finals at Wembley where the old bill cut across the pitch as the players are on it to get to the scuffles in the stands.
Yeah we were pretty heavily outnumbered outside but still had a decent go

Just been reading a piece on the Ex football referee Jeff Winter, who apparently only got into refereeing after a near death experience at Maine Road in the 70s, when (along with 500 Boro fans) he tried to storm the Kippax and was confronted by a City fan with a knife.
Even allowing for the usual football hooligan exaggeration I'm struggling to recall a game at Maine Road in the 70s when Boro brought more than 300
He was born in 1955 So I suppose he could be referring to one of the cup matches in 72 or 76.

Anyone remember violence at those games?
I (think) I remember an afternoon game (so not league cup) around 1975 when quite a few hundred of them appeared in the Kippax corner near the North Stand really early when hardly anyone else was in the ground. Stood there chanting enthusiastically for about half an hour while the Kippax filled up. It didn’t end well for them, seem to remember a number desperately scrambling (defo not “storming”) up the wall of the North Stand to get away…..

I (think) I remember an afternoon game (so not league cup) around 1975 when quite a few hundred of them appeared in the Kippax corner near the North Stand really early when hardly anyone else was in the ground. Stood there chanting enthusiastically for about half an hour while the Kippax filled up. It didn’t end well for them, seem to remember a number desperately scrambling (defo not “storming”) up the wall of the North Stand to get away…..
Not looked it up but I remember that happening and I think it was an Easter weekend game

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.