How can people still be negative about mancini?

Prestwich_Blue said:
Why is it so wrong to have an opinion that isn't fawning or completely uncritical?

We've won the FA Cup and I was in tears at the final whistle. Not because, as some on here would have it, that I was gutted that he'd won something but because I was pleased.

But if we strip away the emotion we struggled to beat 3 lower league teams and then beat a Premiership team that wasn't remotely interested. The semi was our first real test and we didn't turn up until 25 minutes in and could easily have been a couple down. Then we played well for the rest of the game.

But just 5 days before that game we were completely abject at Anfield. Since then we let Everton off the hook after being in total control.

So that's why some of us still doubt whether he really has the ability to take us all the way to a title and CL.

Saturday was the first time that we completely controlled a game for 90 minutes and if we carry on like that the doubts will disappear.

So while I'm thrilled about an FA Cup and CL qualification, I'm looking at next season, when we won't be able to rely on teams around us self-destructing and will have to raise the bar far more than we have this season. 70 points will not be good enough come May 2012.

I'm still not fully convinced Mancini can deliver that vital improvement but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

so your saying is the only time we win is because the other team dont bother showing up ?

DD said:
jay_mcfc said:
BillyShears said:
You see I managed to write that entire post without calling anyone a clown

Ironic considering that's what you have called Mancini a number of times.

Glen it's all about pride mate. Admitting you were wrong is a very difficult thing to do when you've been so adamant about something.

He wasn't wrong. In your opinion he was, but in mine, he wasn't.

Mancini's record against the big clubs over this last twelve months is awful and that's because we have played for draws instead of going for wins. If that changes next year, then we're wrong. Until then, the jury is out!:)

We could have been fighting to attain the coveted League and Cup Double this weekend had the manager utilised a different approach in many of the games.

lol, or we could've been on the wrong end of a few hidings and ended up 5th again if he'd gone "gung-ho". If anyone seriously thought we could win the league this season you need your head looking at

One question I'd like to see answered:

From what I can see your main bug bear against Mancini is the fact that (in your opinion) he should have played a more attacking style against teams. Looking at the draws we've had: Away to Arsenal (which turned out to be a six pointer) Home to the rags, Away to Spuds, How would you have felt if we went all out for those games and lost? Would you be saying now that at least he gave it a go, or do you maintain that all the games where Mancini played a more defensive formation, he should have won with a more positive approach?

Prestwich_Blue said:
Why is it so wrong to have an opinion that isn't fawning or completely uncritical?

We've won the FA Cup and I was in tears at the final whistle. Not because, as some on here would have it, that I was gutted that he'd won something but because I was pleased.

But if we strip away the emotion we struggled to beat 3 lower league teams and then beat a Premiership team that wasn't remotely interested. The semi was our first real test and we didn't turn up until 25 minutes in and could easily have been a couple down. Then we played well for the rest of the game.

But just 5 days before that game we were completely abject at Anfield. Since then we let Everton off the hook after being in total control.

So that's why some of us still doubt whether he really has the ability to take us all the way to a title and CL.

Saturday was the first time that we completely controlled a game for 90 minutes and if we carry on like that the doubts will disappear.

So while I'm thrilled about an FA Cup and CL qualification, I'm looking at next season, when we won't be able to rely on teams around us self-destructing and will have to raise the bar far more than we have this season. 70 points will not be good enough come May 2012.

I'm still not fully convinced Mancini can deliver that vital improvement but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

It's football mate, not something you play on a piece of paper where the best teams automatically win. There is so much contradiction in that post and we both know that there have been plenty of circumstances around our performances this season, both good and bad.

We've got a huge weight lifted off our shoulders and we could be in the champions league without playing a very difficult playoff game. To be still banging on about a couple of defeats throughout the season is crazy in my mind unless you expect us to win every single game?

Shock horror we lost a few games on the way but at the end of the season where it really matters we have won the important games. This in itself is something to excite you for next season but instead a bad performance at Liverpool is your overriding memory!

BillyShears said:
Marvin said:
You haven't been shy in vilifying Mancini at various stages this season so you can't have it both ways

Bottom line is we won the FA Cup, beat Utd at Wembley, did OK in Europe and qualified for the Champions League. The gap between Arsenal and Chelsea (who incidentally spent £70 Million in the January transfer window (and that didn't work)) has gone. Did you expect more? Free-flowing football? It's been good enough

You have an opinion which you are entitled to, but what good is it of having a critical mind if you are unable to adapt to facts and the world around you.

I respect your views totally, and acknowledge I could be wrong, and I change my mind frequently so please feel free to argue why Mancini should have done better

To be honest Marvin, I've laid it out simply many times, but I'll say it once more. I don't like the football we play under him, and I don't like how he sets the team out. I'm delighted we've won the FA Cup, and finishing 3/4 in the league is a dream because it means CL football. But I'm a purist - i want to see us attempting to play with the kind of freedom that the rags do and Arsenal do and Barcelona do. At the very least I want to see us attempting to capture the imagination of supporters by playing football befitting of the 'richest club in the world' and befitting of a club which boasts an array of attacking talent. The fact is that Mancini hasn't done it for me. He may do next season, but I won't hold my breath. Having said that, I posted the other day I will never again let his boring ways spoil my enjoyment of watching City as it did earlier this season...so onwards and upwards.

Give it a break, the kind of freedom that the Rags show ffs. Which team did they not attempt to play that way against. That should tell you something.

And your last sentence, you just cant help it. Yet another dig. Furthermore, his methods spoil youre enjoyment of football but you are not going to allow them to in future.... lmfao

After all isn't that what it's supposed to be like being a football supporter. Praise the good, object to the bad?
Allowing for the fact that it takes time to change the bad, and that we don't know all the facts. As a supporter he first instinct is to support, and at times that means going against the regime, but only when you are convinced - not with the first reflex action

80s Shorts said:
It is the mark of a mature human being to be able to admit (even to some small extent) that you were not 100% correct in your opinion. It is the sign of a pig headed, immature person that is so stayed in his or her opinion that they are blind to the facts and other opinions.

Followed one a half minutes later by

Bet you nearly choked on your spittle typing that. Begrudging appreciation for a manager that has helped us to the best season in decades. Wouldnt have bothered.

Funny as fuck ;-)

I havent forgotten you, you're the guy who 2 minutes after the Fulham win posted a thread from your bedroon about "I bet so called fan Didsbury Dave is gutted". I was making my way across London, ecstatic at the time, getting ready for the long journey home.

People like you will never get it. Never. But life must be quite simple in some ways to fair play to you.

glen quagmire said:
Didsbury Dave said:
No matter what any of us think about Mancini, he's won the cup and got us in the top 4. How he did it doesn't matter because he's delivered. And that cup has bought a shitpile of credibility for him with the fans and the squad.

I'm not going to sit here and say "I was wrong, he's the best in the business" like I did about Carlos Tevez because I don't believe it. I still don't think he's the man for City long term. I'm still not even 100% convinced we're the club for him either.

Right now all that matters is we've had 2 of the most glorious days in the club's recent history over the last 4 weeks. He was the manager when we had those days.

He should always be judged on his tenure overall and it's trajectory. He doesn't convince me but by hook or by crook and with a little bit of luck he's dragged us over the line this year and I'm grateful to him for that. His shuffle of the forward players on 72 minutes on Saturday arguably won us the game. I'd have picked 10 of his 11 for the game and the system too, and the way Ya Ya has suddenly learnt how to play in his new position has been the catalyst for the last month. I've given him stick for making errors all season but he got most things right on Saturday, and against Man Utd, so fair fucks to him.

And the players suddenly showed their desire over those two games so they get loads of credit too.

DAVE MAY I ASK, WHO IS THE MAN FOR THE CLUB?

Ta.

BillyShears said:
bluemoondays said:
"All he did was what I expected for spending that amount of cash"

That's pretty much the nub of the argument.

Also, worth pointing out that Mancini is currently at loggerheads with Cook and Marwood because he wants another 100 million plus to spend this summer. Talk about a cheque book manager...
Evidence for this? With a number of players out on loan and presumably on the "for sale" list along with others then we need a similar number of incoming, with the quality of the players we will need (and prices we get charged as soon as they see it's City knocking at the door) then I'm not surprised it's £100m. Our side for tonight is looking a bit weak but should be good enough for Stoke with possibly Tevez, Balo, Silva, Barry & Yaya being out leaves us a bit vulnerable.

Or shall we buy a few bargain basement like Bebe, Obertan etc (wouldn't mind a mushy pea thou). maybe we should grab Carlton Cole for £4m or some others from the relegated sides.....

BillyShears said:
I can't fathom the people who seemingly are so soft in the centre that they can't handle having their own perceptions of Mancini challenged. He's done some good things and some bad things as manager - but ultimately he's met the targets that were set him. He's got to be praised for that. But that isn't going to change the perception many of us have that he's massively overrated and as you quote above, has done what was expected after the money spent.
I don't understand the massively overrated. We have stopped shipping in goals for fun, we have conceded the 2nd least amount of goals in the PL, our GD is the 4th best in the PL, we are 4th with a good shout at 3rd place, Joe Hart has broken a clean sheet record this season that was set in League 1 and we have won the FA Cup in his first full season in charge. Spurs and Liverpool have each spent over £250m in the last 5-6 years, the manager(s) still have to buy the right players and also getting them playing together. You don't get to where we are by just spashing the cash and not doing anything else.

BillyShears said:
If the expectation is that all those who didn't rate Mancini two weeks ago are going to suddenly flip flop because the arse has fallen out of Spurs and Arsenal's season, and we've won the FA Cup, then that expectation is misguided.
Look at that from the other angle, the arse hasn't fallen out of our season whilst it did at 2 other clubs challenging for the top 4. Naturally this has nothing to do with the manager or players at City, it's all to do with the managers/players at those other teams.

The Mancini out brigade seem to be happy to jump on any bad run of form by the team by blaming it all on the manager (plus the occasional players) yet not happy to give him any credit when we are on a good run of form.

To my mind you can't have it both ways, if we are doing crap then according to a few posters it is because Mancini is crap, yet when we are doing well it's down to.....err, not sure, maybe the gods of football because it can't possibly be Mancini doing a good job because he is overrated, boring, defensive etc.......

BillyShears said:
You see I managed to write that entire post without calling anyone a clown, without foaming at the mouth, and most importantly, without trying to make out that I'm a bigger Blue than anyone else...

Foaming...nope, bigger blue..nope, not that either - clowns is probably a bit harsh but misguided definitely.

Managers at the end of the day continue to be employed or sacked dependent on their success (or lack of it) and their ability to hit the expected targets. Possible 3rd place in PL (definite 4th), FA Cup winners, CL guaranteed next season. I'm pretty sure the senior team at City are buzzing as much as the fans and looking on this as a successful season. I bet there are some nice, fat bonuses being dished out in a few weeks time.

Mancini will be judged again at the end of next season, I am sure of that just like every other manager in football is. When the City board decide Mancini isn't up to the job then he will get the sack, like any other non-performing manager.

I find it so difficult to understand why, after our most succesful season in 40 years or so, people are still banging on about the manager not being good enough.

Here's a point for the people who are criticising Mancini's style of play.

Mancini's job, when he came here, was to get us results. Anything less and he would have been sacked. Surely when you are trying to build a team capable of winning the biggest titles in Europe you make them into winners first. You have to lay the foundations before you build the house. Mancini's style is about getting us the initial results. I'm of the opinion that once he's got them then the style will naturally improve as the players become more comfortable with the system whilst having the winning mentality.

Results now, everything else later.

We can't go out playing like Barcelona and expect to turn over teams when we have an inferior club mentality, it just wouldn't work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.