How do we resolve the Brexit mess?

The partition of Ireland (and possibly the UK) is an anachronism which we will have to live with until the idiots who believe these tiny bits of land should be divided along religious or cultural lines are all dead.
Surely the most sensible solution to petty (nationalistic) tribal arguments would be a European state governed from Brussels? Imagine explaining the division of Ireland and England, Scotland, Wales to an alien - they'd think you were off your tits.
If you can’t look at it all, go from about 28 mins in.

Last edited:
It's worse than tedious. It's irritating and childish and makes me think that the poster, who I get on with on other threads, is ultimately a smug and selfish prick.

Some of us, and our businesses and families, have indeed been badly damaged by this. There's nothing funny about it.
just for one example, Germany has an agreement that you can hold dual nationality with another EU state, but not for non-EU countries. If the UK was still in the EU I could be a citizen here and have the right to vote, as well as the right to leave and easily come back again if I wanted. As it is, if I want any of that I have to give up my (official) connection to my home, where all my family live, and where my parents will continue to live as they get old. It's not a trivial matter.

just for one example, Germany has an agreement that you can hold dual nationality with another EU state, but not for non-EU countries. If the UK was still in the EU I could be a citizen here and have the right to vote, as well as the right to leave and easily come back again if I wanted. As it is, if I want any of that I have to give up my (official) connection to my home, where all my family live, and where my parents will continue to live as they get old. It's not a trivial matter.
But Northern Irish people have that right.
This is the thing I could never understand about Brexiteers arguments on here all those years ago. One in particular, is not around since but I had many an argument with him.

The Belfast Agreement is an international document registered with the UN.
Brexit does not and never could supersede it. People in NI have the right to be British, Irish or both.
As such everyone of the 1.5 million or so citizens have the right to EU citizenship as Irish nationals if they so wish.
Brexit cannot and never could take that from them.
This was widely ignored by the rest of Britain and England in particular.
It’s also why I cannot understand the DUP or how anyone can support them in this day and age.

But Northern Irish people have that right.
This is the thing I could never understand about Brexiteers arguments on here all those years ago. One in particular, is not around since but I had many an argument with him.

The Belfast Agreement is an international document registered with the UN.
Brexit does not and never could supersede it. People in NI have the right to be British, Irish or both.
As such everyone of the 1.5 million or so citizens have the right to EU citizenship as Irish nationals if they so wish.
Brexit cannot and never could take that from them.
This was widely ignored by the rest of Britain and England in particular.
It’s also why I cannot understand the DUP or how anyone can support them in this day and age.
The benefits of "a border in the Irish sea" are becoming obvious. The country that straddles the border will be a winner, and the DUP want to kill the only benefits to NI of Brexit. Politically, it's a poor argument even for their usual voters.

The benefits of "a border in the Irish sea" are becoming obvious. The country that straddles the border will be a winner, and the DUP want to kill the only benefits to NI of Brexit. Politically, it's a poor argument even for their usual voters.
Physical borders, religious borders, political borders, philosophical borders....
Why can't we just agree to disagree and rub along together?
Would that be so difficult?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.