How do we resolve the Brexit mess?

Oh - I see a slight problem there!

Why do you say that? I saw a recent interview on Newsnight with an Australian guy called Alexander Downer who described what they did to stop the boats coming to their country and it worked.

Why do you say ".... in practical terms (it) cannot be done"?

This explains Australia's Offshoring Policy....

https://www.futurelearn.com/info/courses/migration-facts/0/steps/34241

And this....

The "Rwanda Solution" using Australia's playbook...

https://migration.bristol.ac.uk/2023/03/28/the-rwanda-solution-using-australias-playbook/#:~:text=The Australian offshore asylum programme,crossings and arriving by boat.

Gives you an overview of the pitfalls of adopting it in the UK.

You can make your own mind up.

Last edited:

Why do you say that? I saw a recent interview on Newsnight with an Australian guy called Alexander Downer who described what they did to stop the boats coming to their country and it worked.

With the exception of Papua New Guinea the nearest country to Australia is a lot further than England is to France!

EU law is made by the Commision. The Parliament and the Council of Ministers can modify or even reject the laws that emanate from the Commission but they rarely do.

The European Parliament is a Parliament in name only. Its members are not legislators.

The Commission meets in secret and all it's machinations are confidential. Commissioners are appointed not elected, they are therefore unaccountable.

The House of Commons publicly tore itself to shreds in the weeks leading up to the 2019 election. The British electorate delivered its judgement in the election. Democracy in action.

Two examples of UK commissioners. Neil Kinnock lost the 1992 election after 13 years of Conservative government; the British electorate decided they didn't want him anywhere near the levers of power. He was then appointed to the EU Commission where he made laws affecting UK citizens. When he was finished in Brussels he was appointed to the House of Lords which must surely be every Democrats next target. Peter Mandelson was forced to resign from Blair's government; basically here's a guy who isn't fit to hold high office. Same career path as Kinnock, EU Commission and then the House of Lords.

Both Kinnock and Mandelson fail Tony Benn's test - when you meet someone in a position of power ask them two questions - How did you get there? and How xan we get rid of you? MPs are elected and general elections and sometimes public opinion can remove them.

If as a UK citizen you fell foul of EU law there would have been no point going to your MEP to complain because he or she didn't make the law. How about going to the relevant Commissioner? That's no good because commissioners are appointed not elected they don't need your vote so they are accountable to no one.

Compare that to UK law. If a law is unfair, and they often are as it's difficult to frame good legislation, you go to your MP's constituency surgery and raise the issue. If you have a case the issue can be raised in Parliament and the law can be changed. MPs do this not because they are better people than MEPs but because they are accountable to the people they serve. Again it's called democracy.

On your narrow point asking for examples of EU laws I object to, I'd say it's irrelevant. Even if I agreed with everything the EU Commission did the substantial point is that the people who make the laws that affect us have to be directly accountable to us. (If you must have an example, I'd cite the Common Agricultural.Policy which inflates food prices for millions of the poorest people in the European Union and stops poor farmers in Africa and elsewhere selling into the EU. At no point were alternatives debated or tested in an election.).
“Compare that to UK law. If a law is unfair, and they often are as it's difficult to frame good legislation, you go to your MP's constituency surgery and raise the issue. If you have a case the issue can be raised in Parliament and the law can be changed”
Laws being “unfair” won’t get changed.
Laws being “illegal” will. Hence we have a Supreme Court, which, thankfully, can hold the government’s feet to the flames of legality.

British 'democracy' is not democracy.

At the next election, another minority will put in a Labour government, probably with a large majority. If the majority is much above 50, Starmer will claim a huge mandate to do what he likes, despite the fact that most people voted against it.

At a typical GE, the decision is made by a relatively small number of floating voters in marginal seats. And it doesn't matter whether the winner of a constituency wins by 1 vote or 40,000, the MP will always claim a personal mandate. Even when more people voted against him/her than for.

Most of us might as well be living in the UAE for all the practical impact we have on politics, or on policies.

“Most of us might as well be living in the UAE for all thepractical impact we have on politics, or on policies.”
It’d make getting to that World Club Cup thing easier. Every cloud...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.