How do we resolve the Brexit mess?

Depends on who is on the voting paper.
I'm not voting for any Brexit-supporting party. They can fuck off and die.
(I believe I've already explained my personal position on this point.)
I'm lucky,now I live in Scotland, the past few elections because of the shambles that is Labour I've had the SNP left of centre alternative. I've always been open to a better Labour winning me back, Starmer's approach to Brexit has ruled that out for me yet again.I will be sticking with my SNP vote, and the independendence side of the SNP is becoming more and more tempting to me too,as the only way to have any chance of fixing Brexit not so much for me now at 60 but my children and any future grandchildren..

I'm lucky,now I live in Scotland, the past few elections because of the shambles that is Labour I've had the SNP left of centre alternative. I've always been open to a better Labour winning me back, Starmer's approach to Brexit has ruled that out for me yet again.I will be sticking with my SNP vote, and the independendence side of the SNP is becoming more and more tempting to me too,as the only way to have any chance of fixing Brexit not so much for me now at 60 but my children and any future grandchildren..

Rejoining is inevitable.

Once you accept that it's a matter of how.

Starmer is preparing the ground, he's going to allow EU citizens resident here to vote and he's going to lower the voting age, and on the quiet he'll encourage a fringe Labour rejoin group to steer the narrative, while retaining plausible deniability that it's nowt to do with him.

Simultaneously he'll be exploring closer ties to the EU, which will throw up a number of possible scenarios, an entirely predictable by-product of which will be the bleedin obvious, the simple fact that none of these halfway house options is better than rejoining, so rejoining will surreptitiously re-enter political discourse.

Old folk die off, youngsters join the electorate, Brexit is shown to be the disaster it is to all but the terminally mad. Starmer will let it all simmer, there'll be no top down, he wants pressure to build from below, then bish, bash, bosh! We rejoin, ten years from now at the earliest.

Last edited:

But almost certainly at the next GE more people in Scotland will vote for parties opposed to independence than for it.

I'm not sure even the SNP really wants a referendum on independence that gives only a 52% vote in favour, and it wouldn't get Scotland back into the EU. But that's the problem - Starmer's approach of realism (Brexit has done for us but we don't need to disengage from EU laws) versus what may be a fantasy of rejoining (Spanish or other veto, is there a lot of sympathy for Scotland, if they let Scotland rejoin that would make it harder to get whole UK support to rejoin - if they ever want us back).

Realpolitik time.

But almost certainly at the next GE more people in Scotland will vote for parties opposed to independence than for it.

I'm not sure even the SNP really wants a referendum on independence that gives only a 52% vote in favour, and it wouldn't get Scotland back into the EU. But that's the problem - Starmer's approach of realism (Brexit has done for us but we don't need to disengage from EU laws) versus what may be a fantasy of rejoining (Spanish or other veto, is there a lot of sympathy for Scotland, if they let Scotland rejoin that would make it harder to get whole UK support to rejoin - if they ever want us back).

Realpolitik time.
Don't know whether they will or they won't, less will vote tory than last time, not convinced they'll go to either Labour or Liberals, whether Greens and SNP get over 50% between them who knows.
I don't know whether there will or won't be a referendum any time soon, though it's a fair chance Labour will need either SNP or Liberal Democrat support. Both those parties will want concessions for that support.
As for an independent Scotland joining the EU, i can't know for sure but think it wouldn't be too problematic.

On James O'Brien this morning an Irishman living in Spain called in to say the Spanish were pissing themselves laughing at us ( as is his nation of birth ) - front page news there is Keegan dropping contracts to her husband and millions on doing up her office then denying any involvement in it. They can't believe they get away with it in such a bare faced manner.

Yesterday on Shelagh Fogarty a woman from France called in and couldn't understand why the English are not in open revolt about the shit leaks into our water ways on onto our beaches because of this.

The UK is set to rejoin the EU's Horizon science programme after two years of absence post-Brexit, Sky News has been told.

The final deal is set to be agreed within hours and could be announced tomorrow by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, as first reported today by Bloomberg. Sources have confirmed the report to Sky News.

The issue has been sat on the prime minister's desk for weeks as he has been attempting to negotiate a higher sum for British scientists to ensure they catch up after the two-year absence.

There had been fears the deal between the UK and and the EU may stall over the sums involved.

Sky News understands that Mr Sunak has authorised the deal in principle and is likely to speak to Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission President, to finalise it within hours.

Unless you scrap the UK.
Scotland apply independently, Wales applies independently.
England and Norn Iron join the Freestates; that would be the new entity to get round the GFA for the DUP.
Federal Republic of Eireann and English States.

Of course you’d all have to adopt the euro and the Freestates would be run from Dublin.
There would be a total separation of church and state, so we’d finally be rid of the blight that is the King being head of state and the church. I mean it is 2023.

Unless you scrap the UK.
Scotland apply independently, Wales applies independently.
England and Norn Iron join the Freestates; that would be the new entity to get round the GFA for the DUP.
Federal Republic of Eireann and English States.

Of course you’d all have to adopt the euro and the Freestates would be run from Dublin.
There would be a total separation of church and state, so we’d finally be rid of the blight that is the King being head of state and the church. I mean it is 2023.
That’s all okay with me, though I think the people of Northern Ireland would be foolish not to opt to join with Ireland over England in that situation.
To be honest I can’t see Wales getting the support and taking the independence route, not even sure Scotland will / would either but at least it seems a possibility.

That’s all okay with me, though I think the people of Northern Ireland would be foolish not to opt to join with Ireland over England in that situation.
To be honest I can’t see Wales getting the support and taking the independence route, not even sure Scotland will / would either but at least it seems a possibility.
Blueparrot for Scottish ambassador to the Freestates.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.