How do we resolve the Brexit mess?

I can understand border force being institutionally racist but e-gates?

It's an often overlooked thing with new technologies. They set the e-gates up to work for the average person but if you have very dark or very light skin, the lighting and face detection just doesn't work. It's been a problem with phone cameras for a long time as well, which is why you might have seen Google heavily advertising their new Pixel can now actually take photos of black people that aren't over or under-exposed. It is getting better - my wife actually got through the gate for the first time in her life last time (bear in mind she's probably attempted maybe 15-20 times previously and it hasn't worked).

The government have had a similar issue with their passport photo-checking service which auto-rejects people with darker skin because it can't recognise their features: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...iased-passport-tool-despite-available-update/

These are obviously technological challenges based on designing technologies for broad populations rather than some form of mendacious racism, but it is a good example of the kind of annoying barrier that minorities face in daily life that I personally would have never even thought about.

It isnt difficult to go on holiday in Europe now that’s true. It is more difficult than it was though, it’s also impossible or extremely difficult for anyone to decide to go and spend a few months there , or maybe work their way around Europe for a year or two, or to retire there, or just move there to start a new life.
All freedoms we have lost.All for not a single good reason or benefit, that’s what I can’t understand.
Are you not enjoying the sunlit uplands?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.