How do we resolve the Brexit mess?

Fascinating "On Your Farm" on radio 4. A Kent farm manager of fruit farms. He's from a village in Bulgaria, came to pick fruit to fund university, and now manages 850 hectares (think polytunnels on three Heaton Parks). 300 people from his village come each year, the old people stay at home, and the village has the best and newest housing.

But the days when most of the workers were Poles are long gone. Now Poland's economy (in the EU) is better, workers are now mostly from "the Stans" (Kazakhstan etc). The latter tend to be shorter so the "tables" the fruit grow on in the polytunnels have to be different heights (bending down to the ground is old hat).

Brits don't want seasonal jobs (or 5.30 am starts) and wouldn't be likely to learn to speak six languages like he does. And it's not "unskilled labour" so getting the same people back each year is important.

But the main problem is a scheme that limits seasonal visas to 6 months, two years in advance, when they have to plan planting many years in advance. (Farmers not planting if they didn't know if the crops could be picked was an early Brexit disbenefit.)

And some automation - a mildew-killing "light arch" driving itself over the tables.

Last edited:
Just seen the latest news and immediately thought(after wondering if my £1500 holiday is now beyond me at £1502) of checking out the pant pissing thread.

Quiet so far, come on guys surely a decade on you ain't suffering from i want my way fatigue?

Waking up this morning to news of the €7 charge to enter the Eu from next year and the gammon being interviewed saying '' its typical of the Eu''

its sooooo funny that people get what they voted for ........and then moan about it.
it's a good idea from the EU, always best to know who fk is coming into your country, surely people can't moan about a 6 quid charge, I mean have these fkkas never paid for an Indian visa lol Jesus they would be in cardiac arrest

I was and am still 100% convinced in Brexit - no eu remoaner is going to convince me otherise

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.