How far will the fall be before evasive action is taken?

So what is this discussion then? Pep will do things better? Well that isn't really a revelation to me. He's a better manager with a better pedigree.

You want me to engage in a conversation about what kind of preparation Pellegrini does and what instructions he gives out during training? I can't because i'm not privy to his training sessions. However I'd hazard a guess that since he's been managing at a very high level for so long, his training sessions aren't half as bad as people are making out. I actually despair when i read things about how we must do nothing in training or that we never ever prepare based on the opposition. There are plenty of comments in the public domain from our current players which fly in the face of both of those lazy characterisations.

Managerial failings are absolutely playing their part in our failure to get the results we want. That's undeniable, and it's the reality of football. Whenever shit goes tits up, the manager carries the can, and normally justifiably so, as it will be in Pellegrini's case.

There's a comment in Pep Confidential, which I'm now half way through and which you both may have read, about City training side by side with Bayern in preseason. City were practicing corners IIRC and the comment was about Pellegrini correcting his players in what sounded like a similar way to Pep on the adjacent pitch.

Of course, we expect to see lots of differences next season that come from better work by Pep on the training pitch; however, we know just from our offside trap that Pellegrini does drill is players.

So what is this discussion then? Pep will do things better? Well that isn't really a revelation to me. He's a better manager with a better pedigree.

You want me to engage in a conversation about what kind of preparation Pellegrini does and what instructions he gives out during training? I can't because i'm not privy to his training sessions. However I'd hazard a guess that since he's been managing at a very high level for so long, his training sessions aren't half as bad as people are making out. I actually despair when i read things about how we must do nothing in training or that we never ever prepare based on the opposition. There are plenty of comments in the public domain from our current players which fly in the face of both of those lazy characterisations.

Managerial failings are absolutely playing their part in our failure to get the results we want. That's undeniable, and it's the reality of football. Whenever shit goes tits up, the manager carries the can, and normally justifiably so, as it will be in Pellegrini's case.

Have you got a link to one of these comments by a player regarding us setting up in respect of the opposition, as I've genuinely never read anything of that nature, only comments such as us 'stcking to our game plan' on Saturday when a goal down & getting pulled to pieces.

There's a comment in Pep Confidential, which I'm now half way through and which you both may have read, about City training side by side with Bayern in preseason. City were practicing corners IIRC and the comment was about Pellegrini correcting his players in what sounded like a similar way to Pep on the adjacent pitch.

Of course, we expect to see lots of differences next season that come from better work by Pep on the training pitch; however, we know just from our offside trap that Pellegrini does drill is players.
Just read that chapter last night. So we do practice corners and free kicks. Imagine how bad we'd be if we didn't.
Also said that Pep was astonished by our attacking prowess, as we scored 5 in 35 minutes then equally astonished at our defensive ineptitude, as we conceded 3.

I don't think anyone would suggest we don't practice the offside trap. Just whether we should rely on it seeing as we either cock it up or the lino cocks it up at least once every game.

Good, as we're then largely on the same page. You give the impression sometimes that you're trying to absolve him of any blame but I know you're not (particularly after listening to the podcast). I'm obviously giving you the impression that I'm trying to pin all the blame for our failings onto him, which I'm not.

The other thing I'd say is that even earlier this season and much of last, I got the definite impression that we seemed to start much more cautiously, spending the first 15 minutes or so feeling the opposition out. Now it looks like we're coming out with more aggressive intent from the off, which is perhaps leaving us more open.

I said this about another thread but one of the problems with this place is how views get polarised. I think Billy, like me, tries to defend the manager from what we see as excessive or unreasonable criticism. We know full well that he is far from faultless. Me, I've been waiting for Pep for almost four years!

I do think, btw, it is time for Pellegrini to get back to basics and go tighter with a 4-1-4-1 formation.

Just read that chapter last night. So we do practice corners and free kicks. Imagine how bad we'd be if we didn't.
Also said that Pep was astonished by our attacking prowess, as we scored 5 in 35 minutes then equally astonished at our defensive ineptitude, as we conceded 3.

That was preseason mind. What that book does bring home is the faults in how we execute our approach. What I'm still not sure of though is how much that is simply our players not executing well enough what Pellegrini wants; which is a managerial problem in some way. That's why I am fascinated to see who survives Pep and how players respond to him.

Have you got a link to one of these comments by a player regarding us setting up in respect of the opposition, as I've genuinely never read anything of that nature, only comments such as us 'stcking to our game plan' on Saturday when a goal down & getting pulled to pieces.

No but I do recall after the first time we played Everton under Pellegrini one of their players commenting on something we had specifically done to nullify one of their threats; don't recall what it was.

That was preseason mind. What that book does bring home is the faults in how we execute our approach. What I'm still not sure of though is how much that is simply our players not executing well enough what Pellegrini wants; which is a managerial problem in some way. That's why I am fascinated to see who survives Pep and how players respond to him.
Yes that will be fascinating. I think faults in our approach will be tolerated far less under Pep than under MP. It will be interesting to see who adapts and who doesn't. I suspect there may be surprises in store.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.