How many friends have you got ?

roaminblue said:
Honestly, I came to the realisation in the past couple of years or so, that I don't have many at all.

the people who I can count on the most are family and my missus. We have a very tight-nit family, at least my mother, my sister and I; and my girlfriend is, along with them, the finest person I've encountered.

My biggest problem is that I have a lot of difficulty opening up and actually talking and communicating with people. I find it incredibly difficult to talk through any problems I have (that's including with the above), and I think consequently people don't tend to see a softer side to me.

I've always been there to listen to my friends problems, even colleagues problems. for some reason at my last place of work, I seemed to (involuntarily) became the person that people came to with their personal stuff. I didn't mind it (though I certainly didn't like it), but I had a lot of people crying in my office, weird as that may sound.

I had a pretty rough spell about two months ago, and for the first time in my life I realised that I actually needed to speak to someone. It wasn't the biggest issue in the world, it wasn't the worst that I will go through, and many have many more problems; but at the time it felt awful. I looked through my phonebook, and realised that there was no one to call (came on here in the end).

I probably have two friends who I could actually say would be able to help me out, I guess my biggest problem is asking them two. I know they would, I know they'd help, but I have a problem asking I guess.

I used to have more, maybe five or six, some from uni, and some from where I used to live, and one who I have been great friends with since we were about 8.

unfortunately people move away, it becomes harder to stay in touch, and gradually that friendship erodes. The latter of the above moved to asia for 3 years and came back the complete opposite of what I remember.

That said, I changed as well. For a long time I was working in a horrible environment. I was like a worm festering in the belly of capitalism. Everything was targets, KPI's, bonuses, money, cocaine etc. Not that there is anything wrong with financial incentives and bonuses, but the environment at this office was toxic. People would fuck each other over, laud it over one another. I didn't realised how much I hated it, nor how much it had turned me into a complete arsehole.

I pushed a lot of people away with my actions, including nearly my girlfriend.

I hope to make up for it in the future.

I am however, greatful to have a large number of friends (not good friends) but people who I can call up and go for a drink with. But in life, I think one needs to have more than that.

too long, didn't read:

probably 2, but loads of "mates"

Ahh *big hugs* x

Two of my best and oldest friends met each other at uni, got married shortly after and now twenty years and two great kids later are getting divorced.

In the beginning he was my friend and she was his girlfriend but that was many moons ago and mrs London and I both regard her as a really good and trusted friend in her own right, and have done for the best part of twenty years

The problem is I don't actually know any body else who has friends who have splt up and stayed in touch and close to both of them - almost inevitably you end up losing contact with one or the other. So unless we can buck a massive trend it looks like I will lse contact with one or other of my oldest, closest and best friends.

Ammy said:
roaminblue said:
Honestly, I came to the realisation in the past couple of years or so, that I don't have many at all.

the people who I can count on the most are family and my missus. We have a very tight-nit family, at least my mother, my sister and I; and my girlfriend is, along with them, the finest person I've encountered.

My biggest problem is that I have a lot of difficulty opening up and actually talking and communicating with people. I find it incredibly difficult to talk through any problems I have (that's including with the above), and I think consequently people don't tend to see a softer side to me.

I've always been there to listen to my friends problems, even colleagues problems. for some reason at my last place of work, I seemed to (involuntarily) became the person that people came to with their personal stuff. I didn't mind it (though I certainly didn't like it), but I had a lot of people crying in my office, weird as that may sound.

I had a pretty rough spell about two months ago, and for the first time in my life I realised that I actually needed to speak to someone. It wasn't the biggest issue in the world, it wasn't the worst that I will go through, and many have many more problems; but at the time it felt awful. I looked through my phonebook, and realised that there was no one to call (came on here in the end).

I probably have two friends who I could actually say would be able to help me out, I guess my biggest problem is asking them two. I know they would, I know they'd help, but I have a problem asking I guess.

I used to have more, maybe five or six, some from uni, and some from where I used to live, and one who I have been great friends with since we were about 8.

unfortunately people move away, it becomes harder to stay in touch, and gradually that friendship erodes. The latter of the above moved to asia for 3 years and came back the complete opposite of what I remember.

That said, I changed as well. For a long time I was working in a horrible environment. I was like a worm festering in the belly of capitalism. Everything was targets, KPI's, bonuses, money, cocaine etc. Not that there is anything wrong with financial incentives and bonuses, but the environment at this office was toxic. People would fuck each other over, laud it over one another. I didn't realised how much I hated it, nor how much it had turned me into a complete arsehole.

I am however, greatful to have a large number of friends (not good friends) but people who I can call up and go for a drink with. But in life, I think one needs to have more than that.

too long, didn't read:

Ahh *big hugs* x
Think that's most people tbh, how many people do you know that would kill/give there life for you?

andyhinch said:
Ammy said:
roaminblue said:

too long, didn't read:

Ahh *big hugs* x
Think that's most people tbh, how many people do you know that would kill/give there life for you?

I wasn't being horrible, he just sounded sad

Ammy said:
Ahh *big hugs* x

hahaha! Thank you!

Not sad, but that's the truth (and probably one of the few times in my life I've been open about much :-) )

I did become pretty horrible for a time back there, thankfully those who I loved persevered with me.

That said, it wasn't all me, my good friend who worked in asia came back a completely different person, real shame

Chris in London said:
Two of my best and oldest friends met each other at uni, got married shortly after and now twenty years and two great kids later are getting divorced.

In the beginning he was my friend and she was his girlfriend but that was many moons ago and mrs London and I both regard her as a really good and trusted friend in her own right, and have done for the best part of twenty years

The problem is I don't actually know any body else who has friends who have splt up and stayed in touch and close to both of them - almost inevitably you end up losing contact with one or the other. So unless we can buck a massive trend it looks like I will lse contact with one or other of my oldest, closest and best friends.
That's about me and my ex wife, very close friends to the same people, go to the same things, weddings funerals etc, think its harder for are friends than us.

Don't see old school mates now who i will always be good mates with, i just needed to move away for my sanity's sake whe i finished school.

Since then i have had a few pals and such but i'd say i have 3 good mates now.
One of them is from here so bm isn't all bad :p

I used to be the life and soul of the party but last few years i have pulled away from social stuff and that has to stop.

Speaking of which if you see this Mark i'll be on skype later mate :)

There are a few people on here if i saw them more i'd be close mates with defo also.

TCIB said:
Don't see old school mates now who i will always be good mates with, i just needed to move away for my sanity's sake whe i finished school.

Since then i have had a few pals and such but i'd say i have 3 good mates now.
One of them is from here so bm isn't all bad :p

I used to be the life and soul of the party but last few years i have pulled away from social stuff and that has to stop.

Speaking of which if you see this Mark i'll be on skype later mate :)

There are a few people on here if i saw them more i'd be close mates with defo also.
You big lovable softy love yo..... You mean the girls don't you, Twat!

My best mate is the wife, after 25 years she is still the first person I turn too for a level and balanced view or advice to anything bothering me. She also gave me my other best mate my 21 year old son.
I can count on 6 other lads who we have shared grief and celebration together. I speak with them about anything and would if needs be ask them for help, I believe they would give me the last pound in their pocket as I would give to them.
I have a lot of social mates who when I pop down the village pub we sort the worlds problems out.
I think I am very lucky.

if im being honest i would say i have one really best friend- My girlfriend, im comfortable around her and feel like I can be myself and i know she will always be there for me.

Ive got mates, but cant say they would be there for me and tbh I have realised over the years that a lot of my supposed friends arent really my mates. Ive suffered a lot from depression and anxiety issues in the past, so making really good mates and being confident ive found hard. Luckily i do have about 6 mates now i can call on for a beer or night out though :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.