How many games can we realistically afford to lose?

TGR said:
LoveCity said:
manchesterJACK said:
Our club is not interested in winning the league. They are only interested in getting out of the champions league group. 3rd will do. Are we the new arsenal

The club is interested in winning everything, it's just very difficult with the increased competition.

And since when has there been little or no competition?
I have stated this before and I will state it again:
It is 100% clear the owner and therefore the management of the club at all levels have prioritised the Champs League as our number 1 objective this season.
Either directly or indirectly this has been transmitted to the players. They now know if they do well / OK in the CL then life is good. The Premiership is suddenly not that important. The performances away from home underpin and support this hypothesis.
How do they ?

TGR said:
LoveCity said:
manchesterJACK said:
Our club is not interested in winning the league. They are only interested in getting out of the champions league group. 3rd will do. Are we the new arsenal

The club is interested in winning everything, it's just very difficult with the increased competition.

And since when has there been little or no competition?
I have stated this before and I will state it again:
It is 100% clear the owner and therefore the management of the club at all levels have prioritised the Champs League as our number 1 objective this season.
Either directly or indirectly this has been transmitted to the players. They now know if they do well / OK in the CL then life is good. The Premiership is suddenly not that important. The performances away from home underpin and support this hypothesis.

You can't deny the level of competition and intensity of the league looks to have increased this year. Everyone appears vulnerable to dropping points.

Did you watch today's game? There was no lack of effort, we absolutely dominated them but wasted 19 of our 21 chances. People like you wouldn't be whinging non-stop tonight if Dzeko (and before Bosnia assaults me, I name him because no one had more shots today) and co. had converted more of their chances like you'd expect them to do with their reputations.

We've dropped 8 points, which means we can get a maximum of 106.

I would say if you want to be there or there about's winning the league then 85 is a good aiming point. That means we can drop 21 more points if we use that target, which is 7 defeats. Considering we will draw games, say at least half a dozen, we have about 5 defeats we can play with.

Every 2 draws means we can afford to lose one less game more or less.

Agree that 85p is a good target for this season, as all teams will drop points left right and center, and for this reason I dont expect any team to get 90 points or 89p what was enough two years ago ad more than enough year...

But also I dont think we will get more than 50p at home out of possible 57. For 50p we still have to get a 16-2-1 record at least at home, so far so good 3 wins out of 3 matches, but Newcastle in the first round and Hull is on the weaker side of the PL. None of them can really park the bus (its true for MU as well), so I expect some struggle at home vs teams that can and able to park the bus for 90 minutes. Also Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton can take points off of us in any match wouldnt be surprised if Everton gets a draw next week...

Looked for Pellegrini away record in his best season at Malaga, it was the 2011-2012 they finished 4th as a little bit surprise well they had 58 points in the end.
What is a little bit worrying that 42 points was made at home...

Damanino said:
Agree that 85p is a good target for this season, as all teams will drop points left right and center, and for this reason I dont expect any team to get 90 points or 89p what was enough two years ago ad more than enough year...

But also I dont think we will get more than 50p at home out of possible 57. For 50p we still have to get a 16-2-1 record at least at home, so far so good 3 wins out of 3 matches, but Newcastle in the first round and Hull is on the weaker side of the PL. None of them can really park the bus (its true for MU as well), so I expect some struggle at home vs teams that can and able to park the bus for 90 minutes. Also Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton can take points off of us in any match wouldnt be surprised if Everton gets a draw next week...

Looked for Pellegrini away record in his best season at Malaga, it was the 2011-2012 they finished 4th as a little bit surprise well they had 58 points in the end.

true, but his season at Real he delivered 42 away points at 13-3-3, which means if he can match that and lose just 1 more away game and draw 2, and match his home record of 18-0-1 then we'll have a happy season.

(he won't, but let's be silly and optimistic).

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Damanino said:

true, but his season at Real he delivered 42 away points at 13-3-3, which means if he can match that and lose just 1 more away game and draw 2, and match his home record of 18-0-1 then we'll have a happy season.

To be fair in 11-12 when we won the league we only had 34 points in away matches. But that was with a fantasctic home record 18-1-0.

Last season Mancini was not worse away from home 33 points. But at home we were 11 points worse.

So this 35p target for Pellegrini isnt that much the team did 34 and 33 last two seasons.

(Fergie got 41 and 42 points away from home last two seasons, we would walk the league with a number like that.)

No more than six , and we've already lost a third of those .....

Damanino said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Damanino said:

To be fair in 11-12 when we won the league we only had 34 points in away matches. But that was with a fantasctic home record 18-1-0.

Last season Mancini was not worse away from home 33 points. But at home we were 11 points worse.

So this 35p target for Pellegrini isnt that much the team did 34 and 33 last two seasons.

(Fergie got 41 and 42 points away from home last two seasons, we would walk the league with a number like that.)

United were brilliant away under him though, sit back and counter, pounce down the wings and eventually you'd shin it in.

Last season they had a run of 6 away games where they didn't concede a goal, stunning.

He somehow got their shaky defence to die for him and the big difference between him and Moyes is the players don't work as hard for Davey and it showed today.

black mamba said:
No more than six , and we've already lost a third of those .....
Against chumps. I'm gutted because what will happen at the liked of an Everton or Swansea where it's not going our away and the ball isn't hitting the bet. We've already used two of our 'free passes' against teams that should be part of our guaranteed points haul.

FFS. We're going to need to have to have an absolute fairy tale rest of the season to win this title.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.