How many Years ?!!

taken to first game by mad uncle round 71

started going regularly with friends in 75

still saw uncle on kippax but he usually fucked off around half time to shag his bit on the side....

Living in Manchester my entire life with as broad an accent as you get. I've never been asked. If i ever was i think i would be in fits of uncontrolable laughter.

13 odd years for me.

Was raised around the sky four and really only exposed to the bigger clubs. Took a gamble and went with City, one of the best decisions of my life. I know supporting this football club will change now (it already is) but in hindsight It was fantastic to experience the lows of the club and the way the fans dealt with the circumstances with witty humour. I think we will do it this Sunday, and what a journey it has been, I can't imagine how emotional it must be for some of the older blues around here. We will embrace a whole new type of fan after this season, no matter of the result on Sunday, and we need to find a way to accept these fans and make sure they understand our history and values.

I can't wait for Sunday...

First game 1967, but so what.

It doesn't matter when you became aware of the blue blood flowing through your veins, or where you were born or live.

City fans are the greatest and next Sunday is what we have dreamed about for years, scum being second is the icing on the cake ( unless we revert to typical City !)

I've not got a manc accent, and get the odd comment about glory supporting - I just find it utterly laughable , the guys who say just have no idea what we've been through over the years. Although I was out at a party yesterday and met an everton fan who talked about our support back in div 2 and said he thought we deserved our upturn in fortune.

Well being only 17, and moving to Australia in 2010, I get asked alot and they all say I'm glory hunting. I just show them my program collection that I started at my first game in 2002. And then I show them my 17 shirts, and then If my accent wasn't enough proof, I just show them some of the tickets I have kept over the years including the first ever game at the stadium (vs Barca). That usually shuts them up.

Well some people try winding me up as I have to work weekends and can't really get to much games but when I tell them the first game I went to was Southampton in 1996 when Kinkladze did that amazing run and scored and the second was when we got relegated to Liverpool on the final day of the same season they usually shut up. Also the fact that I was a Junior Blue and used to get the newsletter every month and still have a huge signed photo of me and Georgi Kinklaze on the wall in the living room (I'm wearing the maroon and white shirt from 1996). I don't think a glory hunter would have been to a match where we got relegated and then gone to lower division matches following that, I'd take a guess they may not even know who Kinkladze was even though he was an absolute hero to me. It does make me laugh though that they always seem to question when our fans have become fans, how many rags, Arsenal fans, Chelsea fans, Liverpool fans etc became fans of their clubs in hard times? In recent memory those clubs have been referred to as the "top four" so for any of them to call us glory hunters after suffering years of abuse from those same fans based on the fact that we weren't winning trophies, we were getting relegated and so on is just laughable and to be honest it makes them look jealous.

To me it doesn't really matter when you started supporting us, once you are a true fan and not someone who just says they support us I think it's cool, but our recent success is obviously drawing more fans here. The fans who have been here through the rough times will just appreciate it even more now anyway and those are the ones who deserve the fun of this success more than anyone else. From relegation tears to just tears of plain disbelief and joy and hopefully Premier League Title tears on Sunday!

Born in december '62, so I suppose I was old enough to be aware of and understand City around 1970-ish. I was too young to realise what was happening in the glory years under Joe and Mal. Old enough now though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.