How to bulk up?

I've changed it up this week, gone from 5x5 to 3x10 keeping the A & B routines of the strength programmes as they keep it short but intense.

Had my squat up from starting at 60kg a month or so ago to 90kg, but guess they'll all come down a bit now.

Bring on the burn.

SWP's back said:
One question I'm never sure of the answer to;

I've got boxing tonight at 7:30, what should I be eating today and when so I'm fueled but not weighed down later?

Couple hours before hand you'll want a decent amount of complex carbs to keep you fueld.

Pasta or rice (brown), Sweet potato etc, i'd have it with chicken, red meat (beef) always sits heavier with me.

Cheers lads. It's totally different to rugby training in that it's so intense I haven't felt like I'd adequately eaten enough in the past few weeks. I also find it hard to force food down after it as I don't finish til 9 and usually feel sick for a good hour after at present.

SWP's back said:
Cheers lads. It's totally different to rugby training in that it's so intense I haven't felt like I'd adequately eaten enough in the past few weeks. I also find it hard to force food down after it as I don't finish til 9 and usually feel sick for a good hour after at present.
Try get something in you mate even like a protein shake otherwise your body will just take what it can find and muscle goes easier than fat

SWP's back said:

I've got boxing tonight at 7:30, what should I be eating today and when so I'm fueled but not weighed down later?

With the amount of exercise you're doing and intensity level you're at mate I would deffo keep a decent amount of complex carbs in there and every meal before-hand otherwise you'll run the risk of stinking the gym out by reeking of ammonia, this is basically your body using amino acids as a major fuel source, the last thing you want.

Dirty Harry said:
SWP's back said:

With the amount of exercise you're doing and intensity level you're at mate I would deffo keep a decent amount of complex carbs in there and every meal before-hand otherwise you'll run the risk of stinking the gym out by reeking of ammonia, this is basically your body using amino acids as a major fuel source, the last thing you want.
Brown bread complex enough mate?

Not sure if this is the right thread but a few of you seem to know what youre on about so here goes....

Trying to lose around a stone to get down to 12.5, am 5ft 11 and pretty fit. Play Sunday League football, 5 a side once a week and currently doing 2 x 5-6km runs and 3 x 45 minute gym sessions per week with 30 minute weights. Been doing this for around 4-5 weeks now and only lost 3 pounds. My current diet is a reflex instant whey protein drink made with skimmed milk (around 200 calories) for breakfast plus maybe a banana, the same for lunch and then a bigger dinner after work. I feel as though I have lost inches but my weight is hovering around the same mark. My run times are improving and am feeling lighter and stronger plus fitter at football, just expected to lose more weight.....

Any ideas/advice?

SWP's back said:
Dirty Harry said:
SWP's back said:

If you mean wholemeal mate then yes lol, I personally wouldn't because it bloats me to fuck, but anything you're comfortable with like WM rice/pasta, sweet potatoe etc, times-wise again, much is person dependant, I can't eat 3-4 hours before exercise ( I've thrown up 7am from a meal I had at 10pm the night before), Mrs DH can have a full tea and run in the next half an hour.

It's very much a question of 'trial and error' until you find something that's comfortable to you mate, but deffo get the carbs (and veg and some healthy fats) in throughout the day beforehand (doesn't need to be huge amounts) and a carb/protein meal afterwards.

Dirty Harry said:
SWP's back said:
Dirty Harry said:

If you mean wholemeal mate then yes lol, I personally wouldn't because it bloats me to fuck, but anything you're comfortable with like WM rice/pasta, sweet potatoe etc, times-wise again, much is person dependant, I can't eat 3-4 hours before exercise ( I've thrown up 7am from a meal I had at 10pm the night before), Mrs DH can have a full tea and run in the next half an hour.

It's very much a question of 'trial and error' until you find something that's comfortable to you mate, but deffo get the carbs (and veg and some healthy fats) in throughout the day beforehand (doesn't need to be huge amounts) and a carb/protein meal afterwards.
Cheers mate

Thought I would join this thread now abit late ino!

So anyway I had a little bit of extra weight in the past.

My weekly routine now is Football 3 times a week and Gym 3 times a week.

Only problem is I seem to be losing weight instead of gaining muscle any suggestions?

ManCityTom said:
Thought I would join this thread now abit late ino!

So anyway I had a little bit of extra weight in the past.

My weekly routine now is Football 3 times a week and Gym 3 times a week.

Only problem is I seem to be losing weight instead of gaining muscle any suggestions?

What are you doing in the gym please write down you routine?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.