How to bulk up?

Just purely to help with hunger pangs NN, it's a great stomach filler, it's the sugar free jelly btw so very few calories (even though jelly has a high protein content it has an incomplete essential amino acid profile and pretty worthless as a nutrient).

Dirty Harry said:
Just purely to help with hunger pangs NN, it's a great stomach filler, it's the sugar free jelly btw so very few calories (even though jelly has a high protein content it has an incomplete essential amino acid profile and pretty worthless as a nutrient).
Is that the sort of diet that's good for the cutting period so you lose fat but keep lean muscle?

A gym programme, if followed correctly will eventually increase muscle mass. If you are only starting out then I wouldn't go mad with the amount of weights you are lifting. Start at a weight you can rep 10 times comfortably for three or four sets and move on from there. Be lifting so that on the last couple of reps on the last set, you are really pushing yourself to lift the weight.

Be careful not to fall into the trap of only working the upper body. A lot of people do this, go in and pump the arms and chest but forget about the legs and back. You will end up with imbalances in muscle mass, which is unhealthy and looks ridiculous, the majority of my programme is on the legs (squats, lunges, deadlifs and cleans). This is where power comes from and you need a good base to have an effective upper body workout. Plus squats work everything. Make sure if you are doing squats that you have someone analyize your form to make sure you are going to parallel and keeping your back straight.

I've been in the gym 3 times a week for 9 months and I've gone from 84 Kg to 68 Kg. My arms are ridiculously thin, biceps, triceps and chest all need work, but I'll do that in the summer when the season is finished and I can cut back on the cardio.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck and be patient. It doesn't happen overnight

mcfcJosh111 said:
Dirty Harry said:
Is that the sort of diet that's good for the cutting period so you lose fat but keep lean muscle?

You mean having the jelly Josh ?

What needs to be remembered here is that the guy who uses those diets (and models like him) already have a huge amount of lean mass to begin with compared to most, he's an experienced trainer and model who knows and understands what works best for him, it's his profession and he has all day to dedicate to his diet and training and he uses either one for short bursts only (because it's damn unhealthy) to get to the shape required for a particular shoot at short notice (some require a more muscular look, others he needs to lose muscle).

I can't emphasise enough how much I DON'T recommend those to anyone who's not had years of experience, they were only put up as an example of what models go through to get that look you see in magazines and not because I advocate them (same with competing bodybuilders, it's a condition they can only hold for a very short period before it starts to have a real detrimental effect), there are far far healthier ways to lose fat for most of us mate.

Ok so I have come home from Uni for a week so I'm away from the gym, this is gonna be the ultimate test as my family has so much junk food in the cupboards that I need to avoid and keep motivated.

As I'm away from the gym I have no weights (!!) so what would everyone recommend doing?

Today I did 6 laps around the local playing field (1 lap running, 1 lap walking x3), 3 sets of 20 press-ups, 3 sets of 20 situps and 3 sets of 20 leg lifts.

Couldn't find anything to do pull ups on or anything with an appropriate weight to use for curls.

Any recommendations?
This is gonna be the toughest week so far for sure!
Stay strong!

Daveth said:
Ok so I have come home from Uni for a week so I'm away from the gym, this is gonna be the ultimate test as my family has so much junk food in the cupboards that I need to avoid and keep motivated.

As I'm away from the gym I have no weights (!!) so what would everyone recommend doing?

Today I did 6 laps around the local playing field (1 lap running, 1 lap walking x3), 3 sets of 20 press-ups, 3 sets of 20 situps and 3 sets of 20 leg lifts.

Couldn't find anything to do pull ups on or anything with an appropriate weight to use for curls.

Any recommendations?
This is gonna be the toughest week so far for sure!
Stay strong!
British military instructor app outdoor fitness app on AppStore absolutely brilliant

Not gonna be paying 3 quid for an app Im only gonna use for a week, was more looking at exercises I can do without the aide of my phone!

I've been following the Starting Strength routine for the best part of 9 months now and have had some really good gains with it. Starting to get a little bit bored of it now though! Could anybody recommend a similar routine but with a bit more variety? Cheers.

Finally caved in.

Went to the gym today and paid for a session, got sick of running round the playing field and doing curls with a bag of compost/ the top of my bird bath (seriously).

£5.50 for a session, absolute rip off! I couldn't bare it any longer though needed to get back into the swing of it so gonna go once/twice more down here then back to my usual gym in Sheffield from the 10th.

Did a good 10k on the bikes but I've been having trouble recently with running, after quite a short time I get dull pain in both of my lower legs around calf/shin area - feels like I've been dead-legged.

Is this likely to be shin splints? What can I do to stop this? Couldn't run for more than 2 mins today as they were killing so just upped the incline and did a brisk walk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.