How to bulk up?

If you've only got a bag of compost and don't want to fork out for the gym mate then not to worry, there's plenty of stuff you can do and you can mix things up, I'll link a couple of vids for you to take some exercises from :-
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYdkBngGKpk&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR0pg6CMxDo[/youtube]

Similar to barbell/dumbbell complexes but using the compost bag, try doing 6-7 exercises based around squats, overhead press, deads, hang cleans etc for 8 reps each without putting it down then rest for 60 seconds, so for example :-

start

Push press overhead x 8-12
back squats x 8-12
bent over row x 8 --12
front squats x 8-12
Hang cleans/high-pulls 8-12
Stiff leg deadlift 8-12
shrugs/curls 8-12

Put the bag down and rest 60 seconds then repeat another 4 -5 times with the 60 second rest between each set of the above.

Great for strength, conditioning and fatloss mate, a top all round workout, if you're not fooked after that then limit the rest time or up the reps (given you're stuck with the weight).

Daveth said:
Finally caved in.

Went to the gym today and paid for a session, got sick of running round the playing field and doing curls with a bag of compost/ the top of my bird bath (seriously).

£5.50 for a session, absolute rip off! I couldn't bare it any longer though needed to get back into the swing of it so gonna go once/twice more down here then back to my usual gym in Sheffield from the 10th.

Did a good 10k on the bikes but I've been having trouble recently with running, after quite a short time I get dull pain in both of my lower legs around calf/shin area - feels like I've been dead-legged.

Is this likely to be shin splints? What can I do to stop this? Couldn't run for more than 2 mins today as they were killing so just upped the incline and did a brisk walk.

Walk on your heels up a hallway, then back on your toes. Do that a bunch of times and after a week or so you should be right.

rhysmcfc said:
Daveth said:
Finally caved in.

Went to the gym today and paid for a session, got sick of running round the playing field and doing curls with a bag of compost/ the top of my bird bath (seriously).

£5.50 for a session, absolute rip off! I couldn't bare it any longer though needed to get back into the swing of it so gonna go once/twice more down here then back to my usual gym in Sheffield from the 10th.

Did a good 10k on the bikes but I've been having trouble recently with running, after quite a short time I get dull pain in both of my lower legs around calf/shin area - feels like I've been dead-legged.

Is this likely to be shin splints? What can I do to stop this? Couldn't run for more than 2 mins today as they were killing so just upped the incline and did a brisk walk.

Walk on your heels up a hallway, then back on your toes. Do that a bunch of times and after a week or so you should be right.

Any tips to stop it occuring in the future? Just stretch before and after I run I guess..(cba)

Daveth said:
Any tips to stop it occuring in the future? Just stretch before and after I run I guess..(cba)

Check your stride length. I find that when I run with a (slower) friend of mine, I take shorter strides, and end up with achy shins. When I'm alone and pushing it, my stride is longer and more natural, and I don't get pain.

Daveth said:
rhysmcfc said:
Daveth said:
Finally caved in.

What have you got on your feet? I would guess that is the cause
i.e. wrong trainers

117 M34 said:
Daveth said:
rhysmcfc said:

i.e. wrong trainers

Nike trainers, not running shoes but would think they would be fine for 18 mins on a tread 3 times a week, could look in to getting some running shoes but not looking to spend any more than £15-20 at most so probably not worth it.

Watched quite a few videos on deadlift / overhead press / squats proper form so will be trying those out when my proper gym reopens on the 10th with low weights and incrementally increasing. I saw that the Starting Strength recommend 3x5 but I'm usually doing 3x8/10/12, guess heavier weights and fewer reps is better for gains so I need to go heavier and decrease my reps.

Daveth said:
117 M34 said:
Daveth said:

i.e. wrong trainers

Nike trainers, not running shoes but would think they would be fine for 18 mins on a tread 3 times a week, could look in to getting some running shoes but not looking to spend any more than £15-20 at most so probably not worth it.

Watched quite a few videos on deadlift / overhead press / squats proper form so will be trying those out when my proper gym reopens on the 10th with low weights and incrementally increasing. I saw that the Starting Strength recommend 3x5 but I'm usually doing 3x8/10/12, guess heavier weights and fewer reps is better for gains so I need to go heavier and decrease my reps.

You wouldn't find running trainers for that price so don't bother even looking.

ask vincent? he used to be thinner. And joleon did. And Micah di......oh wait no....

How is this as the basis for a workout?
Took the starting point of Starting Strength and added 2 more exercises per day (I find 5 is the magic number, with the amount of cardio means im finished in 1 hour 15 - 1 hour 30).

My only worry is it is too focused on shoulders/chest and doesn't incorporate enough isolated exercised for biceps? Or will the compound exercises work these?

Any tips/changes welcomed, just trying to get a routine down to make it easier for me.

workout1.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.