How to bulk up?

Daveth said:
How is this as the basis for a workout?
Took the starting point of Starting Strength and added 2 more exercises per day (I find 5 is the magic number, with the amount of cardio means im finished in 1 hour 15 - 1 hour 30).

My only worry is it is too focused on shoulders/chest and doesn't incorporate enough isolated exercised for biceps? Or will the compound exercises work these?

Any tips/changes welcomed, just trying to get a routine down to make it easier for me.

workout1.png

For most people it will be enough Daveth, but you won't know whether you have weak/poor biceps etc until you've packed on some muscle.

My advice ? Follow the routine as it's been written, it's an old routine yes, but a tried and tested one that has stood the test of time, make no mistake, and providing you get adequate nutrition and rest you'll do well.

Don't make the mistake that many do and start adding bit's here and there, we're talking about a plan devised by people who've been in the game a long time and some of the most respected people out there, if they felt the programme would be better served additional exercises would have been in there from the start.

Personally I prefer this one slightly <a class="postlink" href="http://www.builtfit.com/workouts/strength-and-powerlifting/mark-rippetoe-starting-strength" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.builtfit.com/workouts/streng ... g-strength</a>

If you're trying to build muscle then I wouldn't do the extra. Your testosterone levels will drop dramatically after ~45 mins.

I read an article last week, i think it was by Christian Finn that quoted research which stated "the optimum rep range for hypertrophy is 4-6"

Then stumbled across a Youtube interview with Ronny Coleman who said, "...however, if you want to pack of muscle, you've got to do reps; 10, 15 even 20."

So, who's correct and why?

GStar said:
I read an article last week, i think it was by Christian Finn that quoted research which stated "the optimum rep range for hypertrophy is 4-6"

Then stumbled across a Youtube interview with Ronny Coleman who said, "...however, if you want to pack of muscle, you've got to do reps; 10, 15 even 20."

So, who's correct and why?

Everyone and No one......

Weight training is so individualistic that most aspects require trial and error.Your unique genetic make up means some people respond to lower reps while others will gain greater benefits from higher reps.

Personally,IME,the best 'ball park' rep range for growth is 6-10.

Good advice would be to keep training in a certain range until growth/progress halts,at which point,change your approach slightly.So you might increase/decrease the reps,introduce supersets/dropsets or simply take shorter rest breaks between sets.

JamesMCFC said:
I tend not to take that much notice to what the bodybuilders say about building muscle

They are so stacked up on steroids it's easy

Just concentrate on the diet

So where do unassisted bodybuilders fit into your reasoning?

And regardless,it's never easy.......

FantasyIreland said:
JamesMCFC said:
I tend not to take that much notice to what the bodybuilders say about building muscle

I'm more interested in people who don't take steroids.

personal trainers, natural bodybuilders etc

JamesMCFC said:
FantasyIreland said:
JamesMCFC said:

I'm more interested in people who don't take steroids.

personal trainers, natural bodybuilders etc

Thats great but you havn't answered my question?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.