How to bulk up?

Can any of you guys recommend a program using machines only? before and after a run i do the following split into two

before run

bench press 70kg(up to 10 reps) 65kg(up to 10 reps 60 kg(up to 10reps) then 60kg for as many as i can(usually 8 then 6)

bicep curl 65kg,60kg 55kgx3 sets same reps as above

tricep(cant remember name of machine but you push down seated) 85kg,80kg,75 kg x3same reps as above

do a 40 min run then

shoulder press 40kg, 35kg and 30 kgx3

pulldown 75kg,70kg 65kgx3

fly 80kg,75kg,70kgx3

once i manage 3 lots of 10 at the maximum weight i increase each set by 5kg until i get to complete 3 lots of 10 again

can't really get on the free weights at the time i go and am restricted to times due to split shifts

also do a bit of work on my quads in between some of the upper body stuff

do this routine mon.wed and friday, can lift more than i used to a couple of months ago but not seeing much in muscle growth although i am a on weight loss program at the moment

Am i wasting my time with this?

hilts said:
Can any of you guys recommend a program using machines only? before and after a run i do the following split into two

before run

bench press 70kg(up to 10 reps) 65kg(up to 10 reps 60 kg(up to 10reps) then 60kg for as many as i can(usually 8 then 6)

tricep(cant remember name of machine but you push down seated) 85kg,80kg,75 kg x3same reps as above

do a 40 min run then

fly 80kg,75kg,70kgx3

once i manage 3 lots of 10 at the maximum weight i increase each set by 5kg until i get to complete 3 lots of 10 again

can't really get on the free weights at the time i go and am restricted to times due to split shifts

do this routine mon.wed and friday, can lift more than i used to a couple of months ago but not seeing much in muscle growth although i am a on weight loss program at the moment

I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems strange to me that you only bench 5kg more than bicep curl and you can curl more than shoulder press.

Is that normal? I can curl a lot less compared to what I can bench press or shoulder press compared to you.

117 M34 said:
hilts said:

before run

do a 40 min run then

fly 80kg,75kg,70kgx3

I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems strange to me that you only bench 5kg more than bicep curl and you can curl more than shoulder press.

Is that normal? I can curl a lot less compared to what I can bench press or shoulder press compared to you.

I have often wondered this myself the bicep curl is a machine but so is everything else, due to long arms shoulder press has always been shit for me, the weird thing with the bicep curl is i have noticed a few guys with good biceps(obviously not the big boys) struggle with less weight than me and i have next to no bicep muscle visible

at the moment i max out at about 9 reps of 65kg on the bicep curl no idea if this is a good weight or not, same with the other machines, is 70kg any good on a bench press machine? i haven't a scooby do

i have shifted just short of 2 stone of weight in a couple of months and am a bit stronger, just don't look any stronger

forgot the bicep curl is using both hands so i guess that makes is 37.5kg each

hilts said:
117 M34 said:
hilts said:

before run

do a 40 min run then

fly 80kg,75kg,70kgx3

I have often wondered this myself the bicep curl is a machine but so is everything else, due to long arms shoulder press has always been shit for me, the weird thing with the bicep curl is i have noticed a few guys with good biceps(obviously not the big boys) struggle with less weight than me and i have next to no bicep muscle visible

at the moment i max out at about 9 reps of 65kg on the bicep curl no idea if this is a good weight or not, same with the other machines, is 70kg any good on a bench press machine? i haven't a scooby do

i have shifted just short of 2 stone of weight in a couple of months and am a bit stronger, just don't look any stronger

Sometimes the machine weights are in lbs so you might think your curling 65kg but it might be lbs :-)

CTID101 said:
Cheers for that DH, will start that tomorrow.
Will do your friday workout and then start properly on monday.

At the moment when I go to the gym I do 2000m on the rower and 4/5km on the bike as a "warm up" then weights. Is that ok or should I do that at the end?

I have been sorting out my diet as well as much as I can, upping the veg/salad and rice/pasta with chicken or fish etc.
Cutting the soft drinks and crisps etc and barring that cidre I just had no alcohol except on Friday or Saturday.

Always good practice to warm up mate, 5-10 minutes to get the heart rate up a bit etc, best to leave any serious cardio work for after weights, that way you're fresh and focused for the lifting, you be able to lift more productively and less chance of injury.

Samsdad said:
hilts said:
117 M34 said:

Sometimes the machine weights are in lbs so you might think your curling 65kg but it might be lbs :-)

would imagine all the machines are kg tbh if the bicep curl was the only one in pounds that would be strange plus curling 65pounds with both arms would only be about 30 kilos am sure it must be more than that

hilts said:
Samsdad said:
hilts said:

would imagine all the machines are kg tbh if the bicep curl was the only one in pounds that would be strange plus curling 65pounds with both arms would only be about 30 kilos am sure it must be more than that

Fair do`s was only a suggestion as gym i use has a mix of both lbs n kgs for machines :-)

hilts said:
117 M34 said:
hilts said:

before run

do a 40 min run then

fly 80kg,75kg,70kgx3

I really wouldn't look too much into it mate, firstly, your workout is arse about tit (no offence) , and because of your arrangement, your biceps are fresh where as someone with a decent routine no doubt will have smashed their biceps and forearms during their back workout.

Bit busy at the moment mate but I'm sure someone will come along and put some order into it for you, for now though, basically, work the compounds first ie legs,chest, back, then shoulders, and you can go onto the smaller supporting muscles at the end ie biceps, triceps and calves etc.

Edit and then do your cardio.

Samsdad said:
hilts said:
Samsdad said:

Fair do`s was only a suggestion as gym i use has a mix of both lbs n kgs for machines :-)

Even more confused now bugger, any idea if my program is any good?

Dirty Harry said:
hilts said:
117 M34 said:

I really wouldn't look too much into it mate, firstly, your workout is arse about tit (no offence) , and because of your arrangement, your biceps are fresh where as someone with a decent routine no doubt will have smashed their biceps and forearms during their back workout.

Bit busy at the moment mate but I'm sure someone will come along and put some order into it for you, for now though, basically, work the compounds first ie legs,chest, back, then shoulders, and you can go onto the smaller supporting muscles at the end ie biceps, triceps and calves etc.

Edit and then do your cardio.

It's why i put the run in between as a rest really i wanted to get the best weight for the chest first, do the biceps and triceps run for about 40 mins then shoulders back, if i do chest press first then go onto shoulders they really suffer, i can do better on shoulders after a run rather than after the chest press, am i wasting my time with machines and doing all these groups per day, it just really fits into my working life doing it this way, just worried i am wasting my time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.