HS2 - Birmingham to Manchester scrapped.

No chance , they will be held up by the rail lines antiquated infrastructure and all the other local trains that run on the same tracks.

A generational opportunity to upgrade our transport infrastructure and the Tories absolutely fluff it. What are they waiting to happen instead which is a better alternative, hyper loops or teleportation devices?

I wonder who thought it was going to look good to claim for weeks that he was taking his time and considering carefully only to come out with it just in time for conference speech.

Madness.
He’s building to a proper mic drop moment in Manchester……..

”Manchester……get fucked”

*Rishi runs out of the building to a waiting bullet proof car….

Seriously though, how poorly thought out to have the conference here to drop that type of bombshell…..just the arrogance and audacity of it beggars belief really.

They were fucked before this, but this debacle will be indelibly etched into the man’s personal epitaph … and will be what everybody references as the reason the tories were ousted at the next GE

The trouble with this decision is that plenty of people who can't stand the Tories were opposed to HS2 anyway yet no doubt some will criticise them for scrapping it.

Personally, I can't stand them either but I was always more in favour of HS2 than not and I think this is a decision that is short-sighted and fucks over Manchester and the North into the bargain. I accept that there are environmental issues involved in building this but that will be the case for any large-scale engineering project. I also accept that the cost is eye-wateringly high but even at £36 billion, the Manchester-Birmingham leg is coming in at around £8 billion less than what Test And Trace cost during the pandemic. For me, we need to look beyond the overall cost as I feel the long-term benefits will outweigh that.

The “money can be better spent elsewhere” argument is false. Return on infrastructure investment is always considered to be 100%, so borrowing to build is not something that should be shied away from. No doubt will throw a few crumbs and try to improve cross country travel to soften the blow and that needs doing…but it should have been in addition to, not instead of

The “money can be better spent elsewhere” argument is false. Return on infrastructure investment is always considered to be 100%, so borrowing to build is not something that should be shied away from. No doubt will throw a few crumbs and try to improve cross country travel to soften the blow and that needs doing…but it should have been in addition to, not instead of
There are not many better investments than infrastructure. The IMF did a study and found that the return on investment from economic growth alone was in the region of £1.40 for every pound invested.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.