Hughes Outers- Name names

BillyShears said:
Van Gaal...no contest - above anyone - Mourinho, Ancelotti, whoever...

That man is the man who with a full summer, plus an unlimited budget, would have us in the top four next season playing the kind of football you'd expect from an Ajax man...

What has he achieved recently in terms of trophies? I know he's a big name in management but what are his recent credentials?

C_T_I_D said:
BillyShears said:

That man is the man who with a full summer, plus an unlimited budget, would have us in the top four next season playing the kind of football you'd expect from an Ajax man...

What has he achieved recently in terms of trophies? I know he's a big name in management but what are his recent credentials?
All his managerial achievements are
1 x Champions League: 1994-95 (with Ajax)
1 x Intercontinental Cup: 1995-96 (with Ajax)
1 x UEFA Cup: 1991-92 (with Ajax)
2 x UEFA Super Cup: 1995-96 (with Ajax), 1997-98 (with Barcelona)
3 x Dutch Eredivisie: 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96, (with Ajax) plus in 2003-04 (as Technical Director)
1 x KNVB Cup: 1992-93 (with Ajax)
3 x Johan Cruijff Shield: 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96 (with Ajax)
2 x Spanish League: 1997-98, 1998-99 (with Barcelona)
1 x Copa del Rey: 1997-98 (with Barcelona)
1 x Rinus Michels Award (2007)

C_T_I_D said:
BillyShears said:

Does that matter? To be honest, he's not even a big name in management anymore. He is going to win the Dutch league this season very quietly, with no money, playing a brand of football you can't even imagine City playing...

Have a read of the article below...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/feb/16/leander-schaerlaeckens-eredivisie-dutch-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... h-football</a>

Hell....who do you think Mourinho has modeled himself on...?

95% of his achievements are in the 90's then aside from the Rinus Michels Award in 2007, whatever that is. Fair do's if he wins the league this time round though.

BillyShears said:
C_T_I_D said:
BillyShears said:

Does that matter? To be honest, he's not even a big name in management anymore. He is going to win the Dutch league this season very quietly, with no money, playing a brand of football you can't even imagine City playing...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/feb/16/leander-schaerlaeckens-eredivisie-dutch-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... h-football</a>

I'm a fan of Van Gaal. He has stated before that he would love to manage in the Premiership. What I like about him is that his teams play good football plus he doesn't take any crap, can manage/ sort players with big egos, can handle the pressure/ expectations of a big club and he has proven at AZ that he doesn't need cash to turn a team into a league winner. OK City would be a challenge but Van Gaal is proven on literally every level.

Uwe Rosler's Grandad said:
BillyShears said:
C_T_I_D said:
BillyShears said:

I'm a fan of Van Gaal. He has stated before that he would love to manage in the Premiership. What I like about him is that his teams play good football plus he doesn't take any crap, can manage/ sort players with big egos, can handle the pressure/ expectations of a big club and he has proven at AZ that he doesn't need cash to turn a team into a league winner. OK City would be a challenge but Van Gaal is proven on literally every level.
totally agree

Uwe Rosler's Grandad said:

Exactly...

I'm actually astounded that nobody has tried to get him to move from AZ...

I said it a few months back, but for me, this man has every single quality we require from a manager right now...

You have to ask, and this is a genuine, question, would Gary Cook have the first clue about who Van Gaal is?

masterwig said:
Go on, you want to sack Hughes, who do you want in. It has to be someone available and likely to take the job.

It seems to me that most of you just want to sack the manager but haven't a clue who we replace him with.

I've always failed to see the relation between the possession of one opinion and the necessity to possess the answer to the other.

I'm quite capable of realising that Mark Hughes, a manager with no track record of winning, and no track record of stunning tactical awareness, isn't the man to be trusted with the Abu Dhabi millions and the future of Manchester City. Because I possess this opinion doesn't mean I also possess the answer to the question "Who should replace him", in fact, why should I need to know the answer to that?

You don't have to know the right answer to a question to be fully aware that something is the wrong answer.

Paulmcfc2703 said:
C_T_I_D said:
BillyShears said:

All his managerial achievements are
1 x Champions League: 1994-95 (with Ajax)
1 x Intercontinental Cup: 1995-96 (with Ajax)
1 x UEFA Cup: 1991-92 (with Ajax)
2 x UEFA Super Cup: 1995-96 (with Ajax), 1997-98 (with Barcelona)
3 x Dutch Eredivisie: 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96, (with Ajax) plus in 2003-04 (as Technical Director)
1 x KNVB Cup: 1992-93 (with Ajax)
3 x Johan Cruijff Shield: 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96 (with Ajax)
2 x Spanish League: 1997-98, 1998-99 (with Barcelona)
1 x Copa del Rey: 1997-98 (with Barcelona)
1 x Rinus Michels Award (2007)

Van Gaal wasn't managing a club side between 2000 & 2004 which might explain it. During that time he managed the Netherlands and was a technical director at Barcelona and Ajax. In 2005 he went to AZ Alkmaar, a team which has never really set the Dutch league alight. They were runners up in the league in his first season season finishing only three points off the top spot. The next season they finished third, again three points off the top spot. Last season they finished a very disappointing eleventh and Van Gaal announced he was going to leave due to the poor results. Player power persuaded him to stay and now they are top with an eleven point lead over second place with four games to go.

AZ has a small ground (about 17k) and very little cash yet, they are punching well above their weight. When you think of it, there are three very big clubs in Holland being Ajax, Feynoord & PSV and AZ is now outperforming them on little cash and a very small ground.

Co Adriaanse really is the man that build AZ up from the ground. When he took over , AZ was a team close to relegation and within a couple of years AZ had multiple top 5 finishes and they lost in the Uefa Cup semi-final (120th minute) against Sporting Lisbon. Adriaanse was also the first manager after Mourinho to win the double with FC Porto.

Van Gaal has had quite a bit of money to spend when he took over (New stadium etc) and made the final step this year. AZ should have won the league 2 years ago when they lost on the final day against relegation side Excelsior.

Both managers would be great for Man City and both are set to winning the league title this season.

Van Gaal with AZ and Adriaanse with Salzburg.

EDIT :

To the poster above. AZ are one of the richest teams in Holland. Only ajax have a bigger budget because of recent player sales.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.