Hugo Viana to be new Director of Football (Official Announcement p17)

So...im Portuguese, although i dont follow Sporting's day to day stuff, they turned their situation as a spursy - also ran - club around by bringing Ruben Amorim as a coach. After that apparently they poached some scouts from a mid table team that recruits well and found some (semi) hidden gems like gyokeres, hjulmand, diomande and others.

To me, that seems like scouting doing a good job but city's board surely know better and saw something in Viana that they really liked. Now, sporting is a big club but they have to operate in the margins of the market, while we will be expected to sign big name players like wirtz, musiala, rodrygo, etc.. The job is totally different, and he is unproven at that level, so we will see

I know that you will not like to read this but Amorim and Viana have a symbiotic relationship by most accounts and yeah, it might mean pep either leaves this or next season. I hope im wrong but...
I think it is highly likely that Amorim will replace Pep pretty soon. All good things come to an end, the trick will be to make a new regime work.

I read an interesting article about being a sporting director at an elite club and apparently talent ID isn’t at the top of the list of what you need.

At a club like city the scouting network is so huge, all the scouts will be reporting and advising the sporting directors, makes sense really. I don’t think Txiki is watching hours of tape. He makes decisions based on advice from people that do. He’s a busy man

Far more important is negotiation skills, fostering relationships, protecting the clubs style of football and creating an environment in which the team thrives.
Yes, but each club will be slightly different.

I think it is highly likely that Amorim will replace Pep pretty soon. All good things come to an end, the trick will be to make a new regime work.
i understand the logic, but there seems to be this idea that pep cant work without txiki, he worked for 3 years at bayern without txiki to be fair, there is as much an argument that pep might relish the challenge of working with new people, collaborating with new ideas etc etc.

It's the teams we play, not Pep, the 10 man block is not easy (or exciting) to beat, but more often than not we do.
This.
And other teams obsession with passing the ball in their own half. Very difficult to get the ball off them but they aren’t dangerous having any shots with it. Eg. Fulham. All their chances came on counter attacks. Made nothing from their keep ball.

i understand the logic, but there seems to be this idea that pep cant work without txiki, he worked for 3 years at bayern without txiki to be fair, there is as much an argument that pep might relish the challenge of working with new people, collaborating with new ideas etc etc.

Agree but obviously at some point in the not too distant future he will leave. Amorim must be the favourite to take over at that point. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

Agree but obviously at some point in the not too distant future he will leave. Amorim must be the favourite to take over at that point. Whether that happens remains to be seen.
oh certainly, i agree with that and think he will leave in the near future but wouldnt say amorim is necessarily favourite tbf, city do tend to go completely left field with signings of players and managers, i think when we heard txiki was leaving most peoples thoughts didnt turn to viana

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.