I Need a New Broadband Provider - Any Recommendations Appreciated.

You'll need a router or a dongle to receive broadband. And yes you can plug your firestick into your laptop.
Cheers. I knew I'd need a router. Thanks for confirming I can use a firestick with my laptop.
Ideal solution would be to keep fast Virgin broadband with no extras and then use firestick for football. I'm not saying the streams I usually use are slow but Francis Lee was offside in a recent game.

I am still with Virgin, but honestly considering something else too.
Some friends of mine had a positive experience with the comcast customer service here.
Anyone else has something positive to say about them? Negative reviews are also helpful actually.

Last edited:
Our virgin contract runs until August and I think we've got to the point where were wondering just what we're paying for.

They took a load of kids channels away recently and reclassified them into to a different package (in the middle of my contract where I'd agreed to pay a set amount for defined channels, I may add) so our kids just watch YouTube now. And our planner is 88% full with stuff we can't be arsed watching because there's something better to try on Netflix.

The broadband service has been ok though apart from regular drop outs last year for some reason for about 6 weeks (affected the whole street and I couldn't work at times, they invite you to claim for downtime but something silly like you're only entitled after 36 hours of no service).

Although when we moved house, that was a farce. We gave them the moving date weeks before, no problems. Then a day before we move they cancel and move it to 2 then 3 weeks out. Ended up almost a month with no home connection in the new house, during which time the kids had COVID twice and couldn't access the set work online. Rang virgin and because they'd cancelled the old account / address and created a new one for us, they said sorry we can't help as you are not yet a customer!

They also sent me a new hub over Christmas to try out. We were away and then I had flu when we got back, and the amount of emails and texts I got off virgin demanding the equipment back was ludicrous. Two a day at one point, encouraging me to go out with a temperature of 41c to post their bloody hub back to them.

I think the days of paying for a tv and broadband package are over. It was convenient for a while, but unless there's a really good deal on offer then we'll probably move too. Fast broadband isn't important, stability is. Terrestrial TV is iffy. And I still hate that bloody virgin remote control, designed specifically to not sit flat on any surface so it can land and explode the batteries all over the floor at will.

Our virgin contract runs until August and I think we've got to the point where were wondering just what we're paying for.

They took a load of kids channels away recently and reclassified them into to a different package (in the middle of my contract where I'd agreed to pay a set amount for defined channels, I may add) so our kids just watch YouTube now. And our planner is 88% full with stuff we can't be arsed watching because there's something better to try on Netflix.

The broadband service has been ok though apart from regular drop outs last year for some reason for about 6 weeks (affected the whole street and I couldn't work at times, they invite you to claim for downtime but something silly like you're only entitled after 36 hours of no service).

Although when we moved house, that was a farce. We gave them the moving date weeks before, no problems. Then a day before we move they cancel and move it to 2 then 3 weeks out. Ended up almost a month with no home connection in the new house, during which time the kids had COVID twice and couldn't access the set work online. Rang virgin and because they'd cancelled the old account / address and created a new one for us, they said sorry we can't help as you are not yet a customer!

They also sent me a new hub over Christmas to try out. We were away and then I had flu when we got back, and the amount of emails and texts I got off virgin demanding the equipment back was ludicrous. Two a day at one point, encouraging me to go out with a temperature of 41c to post their bloody hub back to them.

I think the days of paying for a tv and broadband package are over. It was convenient for a while, but unless there's a really good deal on offer then we'll probably move too. Fast broadband isn't important, stability is. Terrestrial TV is iffy. And I still hate that bloody virgin remote control, designed specifically to not sit flat on any surface so it can land and explode the batteries all over the floor at will.
That’s a joke. Every time I get the bill or something goes wrong with it, I picture Branson sat by the sea and drinking champagne on his very own island, laughing at us.

Cheers. I knew I'd need a router. Thanks for confirming I can use a firestick with my laptop.
Ideal solution would be to keep fast Virgin broadband with no extras and then use firestick for football. I'm not saying the streams I usually use are slow but Francis Lee was offside in a recent game.
I’m not sure it’s as simple as plugging a FireStick into your laptop.
You may need to use a HDMI Video capture device, due to the HDMI port on your laptop most likely being an output port.
Worth doing some research before getting your hopes up mate.

I’m not sure it’s as simple as plugging a FireStick into your laptop.
You may need to use a HDMI Video capture device, due to the HDMI port on your laptop most likely being an output port.
Worth doing some research before getting your hopes up mate.

I’ve never used my firestick on my laptop. I do use it on a computer monitor and it is fine
Cheers for those comments. I'll go on the HP forum and see if the HDMI port can also be used as an input port.
I used to use an external monitor but gave it to someone who needed a serial monitor and I never replaced it.
The cost savings would probably fund a monitor as well as a firestick!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.