I Need a New Broadband Provider - Any Recommendations Appreciated.

Virgin Media are putting the price up by £7 from April this year. The price has been creeping up regularly and enough is enough. I’ve alwayss considered theirs to be the best and most reliable broadband, but that’s purely based on nothing at all.
Can anyone recommend a suitable and cheaper alternative?
Thanks.
Do you have FTTP (fibre to the property) available at your address? Click on the address checker option (only put the landline telephone number in if you have BT) at https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL as FTTP can give you up to 900Mbps (and some more).

Screenshot it, remove any personal information and post the picture here if needed.

Try the comparison sites such as https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/?feature=setupCosts (do it with phone line rental ticked first and then remove the phone line rental if you don't need a landline as some don't offer on FTTP anymore)

Be aware that the MSE site hasn't updated on our postcode yet as FTTP launched a few months back here so it may not be entirely up to date.

What are Virgin asking and for what speed?

If you do move I would recommend against Virgin or Vodafone if you think you'll need customer service at any point as they are truly abysmal.

I've used NowTV, BT, Plusnet and Sky (current supplier on 150Mbps FTTP) and never had an issue besides the once in a blue moon shut off at the exchange.

To be honest, the broadband gets hammered in our house. Two of us work from home, sometimes three of us. YouTube, Netflix and Amazon when the others get home. We’re on the 350mb package with Virgin.
You could all 3 be watching UHD streams on 150Mbps, don't get hung up on speeds over that.

There have been the odd laptop that has HDMI input ports but generally the answer is no, unless you want to spend a lot of money on a video capture system.

Is it for a hooky Firestick? If so then a cheap (2nd hand?) monitor or TV(Aldi or Lidl maybe) would be a better option. Don't forget the audio though if it's a monitor. If not then most things should be available on the laptop?
It's for a firestick. I couldn't possibly know if it's hooky or not.
Will the audio work if the monitor has integral speakers or is something else required?

It's for a firestick. I couldn't possibly know if it's hooky or not.
Will the audio work if the monitor has integral speakers or is something else required?
Integral speakers would be fine if you're happy enough with the quality as they tend to be small down firing ones. If it's got speakers there's a chance it has a headphone output as well which may suit more.

How shite are Virgin ?
Been waiting on whats app and on live chat for over 4 hours and they have no one to deal with me.

Don't sign up to Virgin Media. Left one of my elderly relatives without broadband or tv for 2 full weeks after her old contract ended and she moved onto a cheaper one with them.

How shite are Virgin ?
Been waiting on whats app and on live chat for over 4 hours and they have no one to deal with me.

That's what happens when you have mass redundancies and move most of your call centres offshore. Been a shitshow for years now, the yanks are looking to sell up soon by the looks of it.

Got a few months left with current provider (Hyperoptic) and am moving home next week
Spoke to them and they can't supply new address but cheeky fuckers still want to charge me the rest of the contract as a cancellation fee!
I would have happily kept them if they could supply the new place but they can't!
So I need a new supplier. Anyone know of any great deals for Broadband only?
I think some providers will pay your buyout fee if you switch to them.

I need average of min 30 Meg per second to run broadband and Sky TV.

Thanks in advance

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.